• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Friday's demo of the 2013 PRO-RMK

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
You are Funny!

Why would they go backwards and add an anchor to a nice light mountain package.

I must say that I'm impressed with Polaris and their commitment to create a great mountain sled. Being a turbo yammi freak, I have found myself very interested in polaris development. Not to say I will ever leave yamaha, as they produce unreal power under boost and unmatched reliablility. I cannot justifiy ever buying a Pro that harnesses an 800 motor. These motors not only are weak in the HP department, they are completely unreliable. I have seen some with luck,
but most with disappointment.

So in short I would love the opportunity to own a Pro, especially considering Polaris's vast improvements lately, but the 800 motor will keep me away. So I also wonder when will the 4-stroke option be available?

A viable solution would be Polaris to team with Yamaha a create a better motor.

Maybe I'll buy a new pro and replace the 800 with a fully built nytro turbo motor.

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Pelon, I can understand and appreciate the 4stroke turbos (love power). But your statement "These motors not only are weak in the HP department, they are completely unreliable." just is not true. I have a 2011 800 Pro and a 2012 800 Pro, we had 1 TPS issue and that is it. The days of a light turbo 4stroke are coming, and I will have one! As for now the Pro is the best all around mountain sled for me.:face-icon-small-coo

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Like I said in my post "some have had luck" and obviously you have ---thats great. But just in my circle of riders 3 of them have had issues with the crank.

So I hope all of it gets better----good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Like I said in my post "some have had luck" and obviously you have ---thats great. But just in my circle of riders 3 of them have had issues with the crank.

What year of engine? What was the failure mode for curiosity and further discussion?

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
It seems to be an issue with diving in and out of powder from hard pack conditions. The most recent being that scenario. I'm no 2-stroke expert, but maybe its an issue with heat, and expansion/contraction of the bearings.

Like I said, a more experienced 2-stroke person could explain it better I'm sure.

I'm realy glad polaris has stepped up their game, and if there is a 4-stroke opportunity in the near future, then I most likely will be on board. I'm not getting any younger and slinging aroung my geared up 6'4 260lb body is hard enough.

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon

Take a look at the poll in this forum. The problems you are concerned about are rare.

Premium Features