• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Noise / Rattle at Idle

G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
Hi All!

Just put a wrecked 05 Summit 800 144 back together. I had to find clutches for it and now it's finally moving on it's own. I have it set-up for 0-3000 feet.

The sled drives fine and the clutch won't make any noise when driving, but when you stop and the motor idle's down, the primary will start to rattle.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Get'n

C

carraway137

Nov 13, 2008
those little black o-rings on the inside of the bushings that slide on the sliding part of the outside half of the clutch are usually what causes that. dunno if you can derive what i just said, kinda jumbled up mess haha.

Chase

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
those little black o-rings on the inside of the bushings that slide on the sliding part of the outside half of the clutch are usually what causes that. dunno if you can derive what i just said, kinda jumbled up mess haha.

Chase

Yup, the o-rings and/or buttons themselves are worn down and need replacing. You'll also want to check/replace the bushings as needed.

Have FUN!

G MAN

I would rotate that clutch by hand and verify its not the crank, I have heard a bad crank bearing that you only hear at idle. Take the clutch off and start it to see if the noise disappears, dont run it for too long just long enough too make sure the noise is gone.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
same noise my clutch makes. its your bushing. been riding it for 2 seasons with that rattle now. i dont think it really hurts anything. its just those little o rings being worn out most likely. turn your idle up so people dont think somethings wrong with your sled and its not annoying. thats what i do:D

D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
same noise my clutch makes. its your bushing. been riding it for 2 seasons with that rattle now. i dont think it really hurts anything. its just those little o rings being worn out most likely. turn your idle up so people dont think somethings wrong with your sled and its not annoying. thats what i do:D

Great advice on how to fix a problem....

Wait...:lol:

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
well something like that is small and dont hurt anything, and if you guys knew the sound, youd do the same. its so annoying. so if you turn your idle up a bit it gets past that engine tourque at idle and stops.

D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
The clutch issues are small? Your clutch is one of the most imporrtant parts. The o rings are so cheap why would you ignore the issue. Seems not worth. The risk

D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
By choosing to ignore a problem, you therefore imply that the part that is causing the problem is irrevelant.

The o-rings going out can cause a lot of issues in the clutching. The big thing is they will cause wear on the bearings and then they will have to be replaced as well.

Just replace the o-rings they are not expensive! It's not worth the pain later, eventually they will still have to be replaced along with other things. Why put something off and cause more wear on other parts?

Premium Features