• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump removal

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have a 96 summit 670. Everything pretty much stock accept for the can. Due to the number of miles on the engine I'm a little concerned about the oil pump and would like just run mix gas in the tank. My question is can I just unhook the oil pump cable and run it without any problems? Or does this need to be physically removed from the engine and covered with a plate. Last, what oil mixture is needed in the tank?

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
OIL PUMP REMOVAL

I know someone has removed an oil pump from a 96 670 summit. My cable is frayed and the engine has 5200 miles and I fear the pump may fail. If you know a link as to where I can find what needs to be done to properly remove the oil pump that would be great too.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I know someone has removed an oil pump from a 96 670 summit. My cable is frayed and the engine has 5200 miles and I fear the pump may fail. If you know a link as to where I can find what needs to be done to properly remove the oil pump that would be great too.

Just remove the pump and make a block off plate. Loop the top and bottom oil fittings (the big ones on the case) together with one of the hoses that go to the oil reservoir. Fill that hose with oil (this is for the center cavity in the case) about half way. Use the hose as a sight glass for oil level. Cap the small oil injection lines on the intake. That in a nut shell is it. Very simple.

K
Aug 14, 2010
whitefish
I'm doing this on my rev...found lots of info on doo talk. Oil mixture rates, hoses, and some recommended using the small oil tank from the 440. Runs about $45

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
If you removing the original oil bottle this also removes the coolant bottle (all molded together). What or how are you mounting a coolant res.

Thanks for the info on the pump removal. On my 01 AC the lowere end needed a hole drilled in the lower end to allow oil to get to the pump shaft

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
If you removing the original oil bottle this also removes the coolant bottle (all molded together). What or how are you mounting a coolant res.

Thanks for the info on the pump removal. On my 01 AC the lowere end needed a hole drilled in the lower end to allow oil to get to the pump shaft

I just cut apart the two tanks and fab up a bracket to hold the coolant bottle. No lower end mod needed on these when removing the pump, just make sure you put oil in the hoses for the center cavity, that lubes the water pump shaft/gears.

Premium Features