• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electric start on new Pro-RMK

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Used the search function but couldn't find an answer.....

Looking at a new Pro-RMK 155 for the GF.

Thinking about electric start, what is the weight penalty?-- could it be easily removed later if she finds she's ok with pulling the cord?

Thanks,
Murph

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
ELECTRIC START

On the 09 dragon added around 20 lbs, real easy to remove, if they use the same one on the 11 pro than not a problem, just a lot of weight. I have been
told that the pro takes less effort to pull over, I hope so my, 09 dragon has electric start and I Kind of like it. I checked a red and black Pro and did not get electric start, did not want the weight.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I was told 18 lbs by Polaris.

You can drop that by around 4 lbs by using a lightweight battery instead fo what is provided.

You would be able to remove battery easily, the starter not so easily and not be able to remove the starter ring-gear on the clutch as it is riveted to the primary.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I've got electric start on my dragon and I guarantee you the same sled w/o electric start isn't going to out climb it.

2strokes_are_awesome

Dec 8, 2007
Flat and Boring
I've got electric start on my dragon and I guarantee you the same sled w/o electric start isn't going to out climb it.

I agree. The e-start isn't adding enough weight to make a difference to 99% of the riders out there.

Burandt might be able to notice but he'd still be able to make it do anything he wants reguardless

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I agree. The e-start isn't adding enough weight to make a difference to 99% of the riders out there.

Burandt might be able to notice but he'd still be able to make it do anything he wants reguardless

one advantage to the ES is it helps balance the machines weight on the skis....and I agree we have never had a non Estart sled out perform a e start sled either..dating back to the 2002 edges...

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I look at it this way:

My current sled weighs about 490.
The Pro 155, checks in at 431.
Add electric start, now its 449.
Thats still about 40 lbs lighter than what I ride now. I'm not sure I would notice another 18 lbs off.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
and the best time to have electric start is when the sled won't start, sure saves alot of work pulling the sled over. I won't buy another sled w/o electric start.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I look at it this way:

My current sled weighs about 490.
The Pro 155, checks in at 431.
Add electric start, now its 449.
Thats still about 40 lbs lighter than what I ride now. I'm not sure I would notice another 18 lbs off.

Go w/o electric start (-18 lbs) and loose another 20 lbs yourself. That is an additional 38 lbs off with a total of 78 lbs saving from your last sled! Yeah! :face-icon-small-hap

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I was up in the air and pawned and pawned over it even went so far as to install everthing except the battery box, battery thinking I'll just use a boost in the cold mornings til a bud told me to man up and install the whole thing. 4 starts later I'll not own a sled without it. ( 09 163 turbo , what's a few pounds)

trevormezz

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2010
Elk Grove CA
ES cons

Electric Start is a cool option especially for the ladies. however the design is poor and breaks alot.
I have personally replaced 6 electric start systems on 09/10 dragons sold this year. they were covered under warranty but its a b@@ch to do. The abendix bracket snaps and breaks and you gotta pull the whole exhaust system to replace so its nice but i wont order any more stock ES systems. The way to fix it if you have one is add 2 extra washers to the bracket the the abendix mounts too. This makes it more level and since i have done that all the electric starts work great no probs.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
TrevorMezz,

Do you have any pictures of this "upgrade" for your ES install? It might be nice to know what to do to keep these things working longer.

trevormezz

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2010
Elk Grove CA
ES pics

yea man i will take a pic today and get it on here. You just add 2 washers inbetween the bracket and the motor that way it sits mor flush and one side of the ****ty cast aluminum bracket doesnt take all of the force of the starter and it is spread out evenly

Premium Features