• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with wife's 09 Phazer MTX

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
I got my wife a new 09 Phazer MTX in Jan. She loves everything about the sled (ride position, 4-stroke, elec start, smooth power, etc.) except how tippy it is, especially in uneven terrain (MT). I love how nimble it handles and how easy it is to throw around (much easier than my poo 600). But she does not see that as a benefit. She has put it on it's side 3 times this year and is now nervous on it (nervous rider/nervous horse). I bought the mtx because she rode rented rtx's several times and liked them, although that was always on groomed trails or gentle terrain around West Yellowstone. I have read the Phazer sticky and read through the 3 pages resulting from my Phazer search. I did not see any definitive anwsers. I need some help. If she loses intrest in sledding, I only get to go half as much (today was such a day). I know it is not the best deep powder or mt sled but the mtx gets her to where I like to play and I can't afford to trade it in. What can be done to make it more stable? I have the skis at their widest setting. I'm a novice setting up sleds, so what suspension settings do I need or do I need to change the shocks all together? Everything is set as it left the dealer. Will wider skis help? Help me keep my one dependable riding partner.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
put some Simmons GEN II on it will help then tighten up the front shocks as tight as they will go that will keep it from being so tippy from there your only other option is to find some one who makes a wider front end but this should help

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
If she liked the RTX, depending on how much you want to spend, change the front end to the RTX. It'll be more stable and still be able to go where you want to play. RTX ski stance is 42.7 while the MTX is 39.6". With the mtn skis, you might be able to get it a little wider.

Last edited:
T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking about the Simmons skis. I don't know how the RTX handles on ungroomed trails and hilly terrain and don't know what it would cost or if it would be worth it. I will adjust the shocks, will adjusting the stock shocks do the trick or would I be better off getting aftermarket ones?

I know a number of people who have these sleds and they all tell me that one side of their Phazer front end weighs more than the other.

They have the shocks one each side set up a bit differently to compensate for the difference.

Apparently this makes a big difference.

I will try to contact them to find out which side weighs more and what different settings have worked best for them.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
These guys have nailed it...wider ski stance and stiffen up the shocks. Wider skis might help as well, but the word is that the simmons Gen 2 is harder to steer on the trail.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I hated the simmons Gen 2's on a nytro I rode for 5 days...Loved the Gen 1's on my summit. Tryin to turn on those skis isn't easy and I'm by no means a weak guy...couldn't imagine a female trying to turn them. I bet the phazer has much less ski pressure on them so it would be easier but it's tough to say staring at a monitor, you would just have to try them.

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
Thanks for the help guys. I set the front shocks stiffer and that seemed to help quite a bit. Looks like the Simmons Gen II's are an expensive maybe. Wonder if the Gen I's would be a better choice or another aftermarket brand.

I left rear shock set pretty soft (dealer adjustment). Was thinking of setting it a bit stiffer to see what it does. Would that make it handle and trench worse or better?

On the trail the Simmons Gen I and Gen II's will have the same turning and tracking characteristics - the duel runners on the bottoms have the same spacing, length, depth...

You won't find a difference until you get the different width skis on their sides or in deep snow.

We now have 5 sleds with Simmons - 3 on Gen I and 2 on the II's. If you aren't looking for more deep snow floatation save some money and go with the Gen I's.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
You should be able to find used rtx A-arms kicking around, or spend some $$ on shocks, I used floats for a couple seasons make them stiffer and maybe try un hooking sway bar as well. I went to Z-bros shocks this season and so quick to adjust, for trail then for the POW..
Gen IIs are harder to steer around but I run alot of ski pressure because of boost. I run them in all conditions but think a set of Gen I would be the ticket and better shocks, especially if shes not riding deep stuff.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
I wouldnt unhook the sway bars if shes tipping over,but you can pull the the rear end down. with the rear down a bit it wont tip over as easy. also like rusher said look for a rtx set up over the summer to widen out the from end. I know what your going through my wife wont give up her Polaris iq for the phazer because she tipped it over while she was out on a test ride with it, now she wont even think about trading it in. good luck

F
Jan 7, 2005
Greenville, NC
Although I rode semi aggressive, I found that removing the sway bar
made the sled behave nicely on trails.. its easy to experiment with(free too)
give it a shot see what she thinks.

T

tactrat

Mar 3, 2010
MT
Thanks for all in info. Stiffening the front shocks with the skis set wider was like night and day. Alot more stable now and still lays over and carves stupid easy. Might give the simmons a try next season if I can find a good deal on some. Be nice to see if they will help it stay on top better in the powder.

Thanks again.

Premium Features