• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HP numbers missing? Who is the idiot...

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
Anyone heard anything about the "new" 800 HP or Torque numbers? I haven't heard or seen a thing. Even the guy who usually coughs up such thing from the bowels of the "dyno room" in Roseau won't budge. His quote is "you will never hear Polaris release a HP number again." Why you might ask? Seems some very under-intelligent and galactically STUPID members of our sport of passion have taken upon themselves to sue the manufactures for their HP numbers. Used to be we would know that a 800 heat soaked engine would produce 154hp. Who cares if it is off by a few...that is what that dyno that day found. Rumors are that Cat is being sued as well for their 800 claim of 163 (I rode it...it rips).
My point.
Who are the insanely moronic tards who are suing Polaris and Cat for their HP numbers. If this is true, these moster-tards need to be publicly humiliated and banned from the likes of our sport. Who cares of they are off by a few numbers...so what if they are off, at least we know where the new engines will be/stack up against what we have now.
Will SLP be affected by this as well. I have read many articles where they "stage" tune an engine. Will they live in fear of being sued because their numbers are off by a few hp as well.
There are bigger things to worry about I know (like our fallen sledders in the avalanche...may the Lord God bless and comfort their families and children!), but I thought someone might know what in the tarnations is going on with this HP thing.
thoughts all you sledhead geeks...

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The only thing Polaris would say at the sled intros in West was that they are comfortable that the motor is in the 150 hp range and that they aren't publishing numbers.

sled_guy

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
I also asked a Polaris engineer about horsepower and I was told that Polaris will not give a horsepower rating any longer.:tape:
Exactly my point. We don't get to know because they are being sued over this issue...as is Arctic Cat for printing their 800 HP numbers. What is up with this?

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I would say it wasn't a sledder that initiated the lawsuit, it was a lawyer that saw an opportunity to get a settlement. Probably the same lawyers that sue everytime the state wants to cut down a tree.

You can't really blame the manufacturers for covering their butt.

This is a testimonial to the sad condition of our country.

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
Probably the same lawyers that sue everytime the state wants to cut down a tree.

You can't really blame the manufacturers for covering their butt.

This is a testimonial to the sad condition of our country.

Again, I couldn't agree more. My guy at Polaris says it is a class action lawsuit against Polaris. Got to imagine the same is true for AC. I want the name of this law firm...we should all write a nice letter (imagine if we did it on the same day...what fun they would have) on to them and let them know what we think of them suing the manufacturers of favorite sport.

Anyone know anything more about this?

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
Again, I couldn't agree more. My guy at Polaris says it is a class action lawsuit against Polaris. Got to imagine the same is true for AC. I want the name of this law firm...we should all write a nice letter (imagine if we did it on the same day...what fun they would have) on to them and let them know what we think of them suing the manufacturers of favorite sport.

Anyone know anything more about this?

[suing] i had no idea liberals rode snowmobiles. hopefully it gets thrown out in a hurry. its kinda like someone hanging there leg out of a rino, breaking it because of there own stupidity. result yamaha had to put doors on all of the rinos

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Well, I can see from both sides of the fence on this one. Interesting topic, but I'm not picking a side.
Lawyers have taken things way to far in today's society. There is no question. However, it pays to note that a class action law suit is designed to help those that need helping. Snowest is far from including every snowmobiler. Trust me that I have met way too many unhappy Polaris owners this year. Polaris can't or won't provide proper warranty service or sells a product that does not perform as advertised. That is how the law suit probably started. As a lawyer I would assume you will cover your bases and include all that can apply.
When you ask, "who is the idiot" I'm inclined to answer Polaris. Now don't get me wrong. I could care less if my sled makes 154hp or not. BUT........they are misrepresenting the product to the consumer. In 08 it was apparent that the sled was making probably 10hp less than that on a good day. Confirmed by more than one independant dyno. Polaris was advertising "potential" or, what the motor was capable of producing. This was done with a non EPA complacent fuel mapping in prime conditions. In order to achieve these actual numbers the consumer would have to add a fuel controller thus voiding the warranty. Basically, telling a little fib to help sell a product. Call it false advertising, misrepresentation or what have you, but in the end it was more like lying.
Reguardless, I always felt the sled ran strong and didn't need any more power so I don't really care. Just trying to help show why this could be included in a law suit.
Just don't expect miracles from this motor. Probably, won't be the HP king. Clutch it right and get the power to the track. I'm guessing what applied to the 08-10 motor will likely apply to this one as well. I would bet a fuel controller will be money well spent.

L

lucky13

Nov 26, 2007
northern utah
Well, I can see from both sides of the fence on this one. Interesting topic, but I'm not picking a side.
Lawyers have taken things way to far in today's society. There is no question. However, it pays to note that a class action law suit is designed to help those that need helping. Snowest is far from including every snowmobiler. Trust me that I have met way too many unhappy Polaris owners this year. Polaris can't or won't provide proper warranty service or sells a product that does not perform as advertised. That is how the law suit probably started. As a lawyer I would assume you will cover your bases and include all that can apply.

not trying to hijack this thread, as you are a lawyer what would it take in money to do some kind of legal action, like the grenies do to get land shut down. do you go after them or the same people they go after

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City

not trying to hijack this thread, as you are a lawyer what would it take in money to do some kind of legal action, like the grenies do to get land shut down. do you go after them or the same people they go after

Oh crap! I didn't mean I was a lawyer. Heck no, I'd have more money. Lol :pound:I was just guessing that if I was a lawyer I would want to go to court fully loaded all guns blazin loaded for bear. Sorry, I worded that poorly. I'm just a lowly retail manager who barely makes enough to have a sled. I just see enough legal action around this industry all the time to have some insight as to what might be happening.

S

super6

Feb 5, 2008
well..."thefullmonte" your words help me understand. If the 800 was off 10 horse...it was on par with the Cat, and Polaris was advertising it as a much more powerful engine. Add to that the HUGE problems and the many unhappy people from last years 800 and you get some really really really unhappy people.

Still upsetting in principle. I guess I would be more unhappy with the problems than the wrong hp claim. We won't be getting hp numbers from here on out...have to wait until the SLP or the DynoTech or Speedwerks type shops roll out their base line numbers.

Hope the '11 is what they are saying...lots is riding on it.

S

shafe7

Jan 2, 2008
fargo nd
american snowmobiler has dyno numbers on the 2011 pro r rush with the 800 in it on page 16 it shows 143.2 horse at 8100 with 96.2 ft lbs of torque if that is what you guys are looking for

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
american snowmobiler has dyno numbers on the 2011 pro r rush with the 800 in it on page 16 it shows 143.2 horse at 8100 with 96.2 ft lbs of torque if that is what you guys are looking for

If I remember right, that article was brought over from Dynotech. I know the 800 CFI is supposedly the same motor as the rush, but that was not the Pro Ride RMK. I'm hoping "adjustments" before or after the sled is released will make the difference.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Everyone is ready to sue over anything they can dream up... a SAD sad sign of the times.

I think that is also why we no longer have 'good' gas cans any more, someone sued them when they mis-used the can to pour gas on a fire and the can exploded in their hand... now we have cans with valves:face-icon-small-fro:mad:

Sad to not see any HP numbers, but from all the contradicting stories we have heard from the 800s from the last couple years, I am not surprised:(

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I am certainly not defending Polaris (many of you know how I feel about their offerings) but I can certainly understand the fluctuations from one dyno to the next. I also understand how easy it is to manipulate the results, garbage in garbage out.

Its funny how every sled and diesel truck on the market gets dyno'ed but you never hear about a bunch of pissed off Nissan Sentra owners because they can't get the results they were expecting out of the box.

Premium Features