• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR/assault build for the working man

Well, I finally got some pics of my budget IQR build. I had quite a few pms about the suspension mounting, so I figured I'd just post them up with a quick write up. Just for reference total build was right around $4500

Started with an 05 iqr short track with a fresh 800 non ves in it, kind of a messy install. Cleaned up wiring and some fuel issues. Got some other bugs worked out.

Then came the fun part.

Added:
Anti Rachet 2.86 drivers
revalved front shocks, still with 170 springs
Complete assault skid with anti stab kid, softer valving on front track shock to climb up in snow better.
Assault track
Brad's spindles
Tracks usa extension
Fabbed rear drop brackets(still need to remove them and clean them up since I dialed my mounting, but they are 1/16 inch steel backing plate with angle alum board support)
custom venting on the shot to **** hood.
C and A pros
Custom Decker twins set up for 8000 rpms

Still need:

Cool rear bumper set up
figure out why the coolant system wont stay purged(seems to always leak a bit from the cap, maybe need a new bottle and cap)
side panels that don't look like poop
Single pipe/can(willing to trade sweet Decker racing twins into single can)

sled.jpg front.jpg location.jpg braket.jpg

Last edited:
Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
Looks good.. glad to hear you can do it on a budget.. I am in the process of buying one and will definitely be on a budget.. I need to go as cheap as possible, but still want a good looking and reliable sled.. If it all works out maybe I will keep this one for more than 1 season like I have every other sled in the past...:face-icon-small-sho

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
looks good almost exactly what im thinking for my 09. how much u get the assult track and rails for. did u use the IQ suspension or the RMK? ps loving the home made suspension mounts

Its a full assault skid, which is actually a bit different than an rmk set up. I just had a friend take a shim or two out of the front track shock, but left the stiffer spring in it. My theory is that it will ride hi for ski lift and lighter steering, but then when pow hits it under power it will compress for better approach angle. I paid $800 for the skid shipped, then 100 for antistab and 30 bucks for the shock to be messed with.
I also moved the rear arm mounting back about an inch and quarter(on the rail and on the drop bracket) which I feel helps control the ski lift and keep it at a reasonable level. Before I did this it would either have no ski lift, or way too much depending on the limiter strap.

Just tonight I was in over the hood pow for a few hours, and it was ripping. It was soo deep, even with all that venting and pod filters I was not getting enough air.

Last edited:
Premium Features