• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbos & new noise requirements?

B

BadAftertaste

Jan 2, 2008
Colorado
www.jcbritish.com
I could probably talk myself into just about anyone's turbo kit, but with the impending noise requirements that CO is putting into place this summer, staying under the noise limits next season is going to have to play a major part in which kit I go with.

Going on an 08 RMK7, and needs to meet the following bs...

info stolen from BackCountryBob's post here...
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168903&highlight=noise

SAE-J-2567

-Test site either grass or snow
-No personnel, trees, buildings within 16' radius from the center of the machine
-Calibrate dB meter within 0.1 dB on the slow response A scale
-Record the ambient noise level
-Ambient noise should be at least 10 dB lower than sound level of tested machines
-Wind level no greater than 12 mph and area to be snow covered-avoid areas of bare ice.
-Operator sits on seat with feet on footrests.
-Machine warmed up.
-Attach RPM meter or use machines RPM meter
-Measure 157.5 inches from the centerline of the machine to a spot on the exhaust side. Meter must be on the same side as the exhaust outlet.
-Place sound meter on a tripod at 157.5 inch mark on exhaust side.
-Raise microphone to 48 inches above ground surface
-Operator should be advised to nod head when proper RPM speed is reached and maintained.
-Operator should be advised to hold RPM for at least 4 seconds.
CONDUCTING THE TEST
-Operator gradually increases RPM until reaching 4,000RPM +- 250*
-Maintain RPM for at least 4 seconds
-Test is repeated and the two results must be within 2 dB average.
-Average results above 88 dB=FAIL**

So, with all that junk in mind; Who's kit is able to stay on Colorado snow next year? I'd rather not own a 500lb paper weight, and I got blank stares from the vendors at the snow show when I asked them about it. Including one Colorado vendor. :rolleyes: Anyway, I think the noise level disease is going to spread like crazy soon enough, and I'm curious which vendor(s) are taking this into consideration.

Thanks!

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
be nice to know what they register for DB's with the different exhaust configurations to see just how loud side dump and tunnel dump and with muffler compare at the least

Premium Features