• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pipe for zx

MtnRidr4Life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2008
Fargo, ND
Does anyone know why skidoo changed the pipe and can design from '01 to 02? Reason I ask, is cuz I bought a pipe from an 01 thinking hey a zx chassis should be all the same and that it would fit on an 02 only to find out, that the pipe doesnt fit.

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I think the pipe will work just not the can
My bad checked and the 02 700/800 were the same pipe just a different can.
01 700 was a different pipe and can between the 700and 800

Last edited:
Onlyrotax has it, in 02' when they D&R'd the chaincase, they relocated the outlet out the bellypan further back, to do this, they lengthened the pipe after the last U to rotate the can down, 01' pipes are shorter. I have a 02' can on my 01', it fits if you built a new bracket for it or add a section to your pipe, which is next on my list of crap to do.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Another option may be to replace the rivet in alum plate from the appropriate year the pipe is from. This will relocate the exhaust exit hole to match. it's cheap an quite easy, cheaper than getting another pipe anyway.

C
Nov 13, 2008
I also have the issue of my pipe being too long (or is it my mbrp can?). There is a hard angle where my pipe and can meet and my can doesn't sit well in my hole.

I ride an 02, is it possible I have an 01 pipe or 01 can (mbrp)?

I can visualize how a hole further forward or a shorter pipe would fix this problem.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Use an old piece of license plate riveted to the belly pan to relocate outlet, silicone around can outlet. If you need to move can mount bracket, just bolt a piece of alum. angle iron on to the existing bracket and then to the can mount at the new outlet hole,:beer;:D:beer;

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
ok i have a 2002 800 zx and just bought a 2001 800 zx can for it cause i remembered reading this thread wrong

so the problem is that my pipe is too long so i was thinking of 4 different ways to fix it
1) cut the can and add some pipe to meet the pipe
2) cut the pipe down to the right length to meet the can
3) keep the pipe and can the same and make a different bracket for the can and move the hole back more
4) buy the right can

i would rather not buy a different can unless its the best way to got

also i have a dyno port pipe with a mbrp can

Premium Features