• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost pipe removal

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
I want to install a new BM fab front bumper on my 23 boost. I looked at it tonight and the whole configuration is a little overwhelming compared to my 22 NA sled.

I think the piece that comes off the Can and connects into the pipe is called the bypass tube? This can probably be removed and then proceed as normal with the springs and pipe temp sensor?

I am nervous I will take something apart here then harm the performance if not put back together perfectly.

Anyone have tips on how to properly get the pipe off?

I am also considering putting the Silber can I bought on as well after a couple rides.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I want to install a new BM fab front bumper on my 23 boost. I looked at it tonight and the whole configuration is a little overwhelming compared to my 22 NA sled.

I think the piece that comes off the Can and connects into the pipe is called the bypass tube? This can probably be removed and then proceed as normal with the springs and pipe temp sensor?

I am nervous I will take something apart here then harm the performance if not put back together perfectly.

I am also considering putting the Silber can I bought on as well after a couple rides.

Thanks in advance

I installed my backwoods bmp bumper without removing the pipe or bypass…….

Ratchet wrench to the rescue

R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington

Thanks in advance

I did one last year and I never felt like it ran the same after. I had to have the wastegate actuator relearned which seemed to help. The pipe is not pleasant to remove and I would avoid it if possible. I am a big fan of B&M Fab and just installed their bumpers on my n/a this year but would not bother with the hassle on the boost again.

As far as putting a can on it's not that difficult there are some great tips and info on and older post. But as far as cans I have ran both the Bikeman and Diamond S and would recomend either of the two but do your research before installing you do get what you pay for!

I installed my backwoods bmp bumper without removing the pipe or bypass…….

Ratchet wrench to the rescue
Backwoods BMP is diffent and much easier to install but does not have the cross support that B&M Fab does.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
On the boost the bottom Y pipe spring is a real treat to put back on! I made a few alignment markings on the wastegate before I took it off just to make sure I put it back on the same way.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
It really is simple once you do one. The WG cable simply pulls right out, it is a squared head so easy to reinstall. The bypass tube disconnect easy as well. I have taken it apart twice, once for the bumper and another for the GGB Trail Muffler. Great choice on bumper!!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You should be able to put the bumper on without completely taking off the pipe. If you need to replace the bypass part of the exhaust it pretty simple. Take to spring off on the top of the bypass pipe. Completely loosen the clamp on the bottom of the bypass where it attaches to the muffler. Slide the clamp down toward the muffler. You should be able to pull the top part of the bypass away from the main pipe and then pull the bypass up and out. You shouldn’t need to take off the actuator. If you do, be aware it has a little dowel pin in it that locates it in the correct position. Make sure that pin is in the correct place when you put it back on.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
LOVE that my B&M connects both sides of the bulkhead! Pulling the pipe is easy. Mark the wastegate actuator cable so it goes in same way it came out.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
LOVE that my B&M connects both sides of the bulkhead! Pulling the pipe is easy. Mark the wastegate actuator cable so it goes in same way it came out.
I feel silly for asking this but what is the wastegate actuator cable? This is my first boosted sled. I have a lot to learn.

Any chance you have a picture of this to help my understanding?

Thank you

Premium Features