• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ride Report.....trying to tune in

S
Oct 29, 2008
I have a D8 pg turbo from boondockers. My kit was purchased in the spring when they were still in stock. I have the 09 head and update. Here we go......

Yesterday I was riding around elevation of 10k and it was 25-20 degrees out. When I first left the truck I was able to pull 8.6 lbs of boost with egts in the 1150-1200 range. Ran great. Was pulling 8150 rpm wise in three to four feet of snow. I saw my charge tube temp was just over 200. After half a day of riding my sled started to "bog" on top. Suddenly it felt as if it was super rich on top. I checked my plugs and there was def fuel on them.they were more black than tan gold. I am running the starting numbers BD provided. The psi number for high is 60. I was only able to pull 7.4 lbs and 7900 rpm.EGT's were in the high 1000's and 1100 after really long pull. Only difference I can think of is a really big storm that blew in. The temp dropped maybe ten degrees and it started snowing like crazy. So I am somewhat baffeled by the rich running condition.
Justin @ code red helped me today on the control box and possible diagnose of problem. I am setting the hi psi number to 55 instead of 60. I am going to try this as it feels aweful rich on top.

Is anyone else expierencing these conditions? If so, what did you do to remedy?
What psi numbers are people running for thier hi setting?

Any input would be great. Thanks

mountaintop

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2008
Had some similar issues last year, shortened rod for wastegate to get more boost (above 8 lbs). Had a hard time holding r's above 78-7900 on long hill pulls or high load untill getting boost and power up around 10 lbs. These things fly when you can hold rpms at 8100 or above. Justin is a great guy, take his recommendations and when your'e dialed in you'll be smiling. I'm pretty sure there are fuel map problems with this update kit but don't have enough good time on the sleds to figure it out yet.

S
Oct 29, 2008
So i checked my control box. I was set up with the correct starting numbers per boondocker. They reccomend psi setting of 42-50-60 (lo-med-hi). I have now switched my settings to 42-49-55. I am going to try this tomorrow.

By the way, sw colorado had 60 inches in three days earlier this week and it is now snowing again. Forcast above 9000 feet for additional 18-24 tomorrow and up to a foot on monday. I must say I absolutely love this place

Premium Features