• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Polaris Turbo Heads

Eightysixd Industreis has released its new 9:1 compression heads. These heads give that huge top end power your looking for with a minium loss on the bottom end. These also alow you to run higher boost levels on lower octane gas.

For more info call
406-539-3015

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
If they work so well, then why do they need to produce a drop in static compression ratio?

The lower compression allows for more fuel and air to be crammed into the cylinder to produce more power, on the same octane fuel.

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
Eightysixd Industreis has released its new 9:1 compression heads. These heads give that huge top end power your looking for with a minium loss on the bottom end. These also alow you to run higher boost levels on lower octane gas.

For more info call
406-539-3015

how is it possible to lower compression and gain hp at same boost?? if possible please explane all of us.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
how is it possible to lower compression and gain hp at same boost?? if possible please explane all of us.

A better head design with changes to the squish band and dome configuration will do it. Sounds crazy but it is possible if the areas have not been optimized already. I think Dereks point was getting more power by running a littel more boost with the same fuel.

M
Feb 20, 2009
When you lower the static compression it allows you to use a lower octane fuel which is more prone to pre ignition or detonation at higher compression ratios Yes you loose thermal efficiency but you can run more boost pressure and fuel to compensate for the loss
With more boost and fuel added you gain Hp
there is more chance for detonation on a high say 11.0 static compression running 50/50 mix of race fuel and pump gas @ 14lbs of boost than the same motor running 9.0 comp @ 18+ lbs you will have approx the same Hp numbers on top but a little less on the bottom due to the static compression loss.
When you run higher boost the motor will tolerate a richer air fuel mixture due to the higher volume of the air charge
which will keep the combustion chamber cooler and decrease the chance of detonation meaning a larger margin for error can be seen with out damage to the engine hence a safer longer life high horsepower engine running pump gas
If you still choose to run a 50/50 mix you can run even more pressure to make higher HP numbers more reliably.
I hope this helps in understanding the issue of static comp on a forced induction motor
and for all the guru's out there If I have missed something here please let me know
Thanks

S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
When you lower the static compression it allows you to use a lower octane fuel which is more prone to pre ignition or detonation at higher compression ratios Yes you loose thermal efficiency but you can run more boost pressure and fuel to compensate for the loss
With more boost and fuel added you gain Hp
there is more chance for detonation on a high say 11.0 static compression running 50/50 mix of race fuel and pump gas @ 14lbs of boost than the same motor running 9.0 comp @ 18+ lbs you will have approx the same Hp numbers on top but a little less on the bottom due to the static compression loss.
When you run higher boost the motor will tolerate a richer air fuel mixture due to the higher volume of the air charge
which will keep the combustion chamber cooler and decrease the chance of detonation meaning a larger margin for error can be seen with out damage to the engine hence a safer longer life high horsepower engine running pump gas
If you still choose to run a 50/50 mix you can run even more pressure to make higher HP numbers more reliably.
I hope this helps in understanding the issue of static comp on a forced induction motor
and for all the guru's out there If I have missed something here please let me know
Thanks

you answered my question......it is not possible to gain any hp by lowering compression........!!!! you need more boost to make hp......so it is not fair to advertise heads with lower compression that will make more power at the same boost just mu .02

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
These also alow you to run higher boost levels on lower octane gas.

Doesnt seem like false advertising to me... no where did he say you gain HP running the same boost...

Last edited:
B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Doesnt seem like false advertising to me... no where did he say you gain HP running the same boost...

Ya what he said, and on the other side of the debate.. I could build you a low compression head that would detonate so fast at low boost it would make your head spin ,

lol

Last edited:
S

supraturbo

Banned
Sep 9, 2008
quebec canada
Ya what he said, and on the other side of the debate.. I could build you a low compression head that would detonate so fast at low boost it would make your head spin ,

lol

what do you mean by``would detonate so fast`` low compression is to avoid detonation with low octan fuel........:confused:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I am sure it is possible to lower static compression ratio and not lose power, just from a better head design. Its really all a [ackage though. I have a Superflow Dyno and have done lots of testing on Banshees and other 2 strokes and we see it alot, more compression is not always better. Even on normally aspirated motors;)

I also think was the previous guy was getting at was a bad dome design would be prone to detonate even if the static compression was low:eek:

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
what do you mean by``would detonate so fast`` low compression is to avoid detonation with low octan fuel........:confused:

A wide squish band with .028 clearance to the piston dome will give you a trouble on a turboed two stroke.

There has been a lot of time spent on different squish bands and dome shapes to get a few more hp out of a stock 2-smokers some have a little less compression. The same can be done to a turboed engine

Z
Nov 26, 2007
so bye running these lower comp. heads, what happens to the low end? In my experiance (wich isnt that much) it turns it into a total pig untill your on boost? am i right or no?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
ZRT ...... that was my exact thoughts when I saw the 9:1 heads. It depends on the fuel you are running, but a lot of these pump gassers are running stock comp or real near it.

Premium Features