• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

R&D Custom Turbo Werx--Center Mount Turbo

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
We are working on the development of a front/center mount turbo kit for our XP turbo kits. This will place the turbo under the head light pod and give a very straight shot and short charge tube to the charge box. Not that lag is an issue the way the kit is. This is something we will be working on to add the weight to the center of the chassis to help keep the skis down. This will also get the CG up to make it even more nimble. This is also going to be tried with our 1000cc twin XPT conversion due to the added weight being lower in the chassis with the 1000cc. We feel this will help with agility. This will be tested this season and if all goes good it will be offered as a option for next season.

Will keep everyone posted as we go.

Dave Halverson
R&D Custom Turbo Werx

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
wouldnt there be some heat issues with all of the electronics and wiring in that area

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
"Not that lag is an issue"

hummmmmmm, well a turbo sled with the powervalves deleted so me sounds like it'd be a weeeeee bit laggy.

an intresting concept tho, with the headlights and airbox deleted i can really see much for head issues. but hanging the turbo to the chain case side does offset the added weight of the engine being offset more towards the primary side.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
The placement of the turbo in this location will be far enough away from any wires to not be an issue. I know this won't be an option for everyone, but for some it will have it's advantages due to the weight placement.

Having the exhaust valves deleted is definitely not an issue and I assure there is no bog or laziness. These are super responsive and take throttle very well. I know most are doubtful and that's understandable. This is why we will be offering demo rides through out the winter in various locations to let people form their own opinion:beer;. Carbed turbo vs efi turbo can be very deceiving. Most would be surprised:face-icon-small-hap.

Dave

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
"Not that lag is an issue"

hummmmmmm, well a turbo sled with the powervalves deleted so me sounds like it'd be a weeeeee bit laggy.
an intresting concept tho, with the headlights and airbox deleted i can really see much for head issues. but hanging the turbo to the chain case side does offset the added weight of the engine being offset more towards the primary side.

Thats the wild part, they aren't AT ALL!!

Stalefish, do you ride Revy much? Im going to have one up there. You should come ride it.

I think the center mount is going to have its advantages. Time will tell.

Jake

S
Sep 2, 2009
cart before the horse.

Don't tell us you have something until you have tried it and it works. I know that you guys are a new company and you want guys to think that you are trying hard to make the xp's work better but that is a bad marketing plan in my book.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I understand the concern. I am just trying to keep people informed on what we are working on. If it doesn't work as planed or designed it will not get sold or supported by me. I will not sell anything I don't test and get my own positive results. I have a reputation at stake.

It's all good:beer;. I'm just trying to push the envelope a little. This mod will not be for all the turbo kit buyers.

Thanks for your input.:)

Dave

cart before the horse.

Don't tell us you have something until you have tried it and it works. I know that you guys are a new company and you want guys to think that you are trying hard to make the xp's work better but that is a bad marketing plan in my book.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if nobody told anyone else what they were trying, when it comes out and they say they have been testing it for a year or two everyone seems to jump on em.. you tell people what your workin on, they jump on you for not having tested it.

tough crowd to please... methinks some just want boost?

its a really cool idea dave... what are you going to be doing about the pipe? just a 90* back into the turbo off the stinger? a midmount 1000 turbo in an xp will be insanity...

and on the lag note, i dont think most people realize how much a lot of stock or lightly modded sleds have "clutch" lag, i think they would hop on some of this newer boost and be impressed with how hard they hit and how fast they come on.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Ahh, it's all part of the business:face-icon-small-hap. All the car companies do it. I'm just tyring to keep the people interested in the Ski-Doo turbos in the loop on what I'm working on to keep my brain engaged and turning:eek:.

The pipe will come back at about a 90 back into the turbo and the charge tube will be fairly strait into the charge box. This will allow a longer down pipe for more silencer for the noise restrictions coming down.

Dave

if nobody told anyone else what they were trying, when it comes out and they say they have been testing it for a year or two everyone seems to jump on em.. you tell people what your workin on, they jump on you for not having tested it.

tough crowd to please... methinks some just want boost?

its a really cool idea dave... what are you going to be doing about the pipe? just a 90* back into the turbo off the stinger? a midmount 1000 turbo in an xp will be insanity...

and on the lag note, i dont think most people realize how much a lot of stock or lightly modded sleds have "clutch" lag, i think they would hop on some of this newer boost and be impressed with how hard they hit and how fast they come on.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Ahh, it's all part of the business:face-icon-small-hap. All the car companies do it. I'm just tyring to keep the people interested in the Ski-Doo turbos in the loop on what I'm working on to keep my brain engaged and turning:eek:.

The pipe will come back at about a 90 back into the turbo and the charge tube will be fairly strait into the charge box. This will allow a longer down pipe for more silencer for the noise restrictions coming down.

Dave

I don't about the front mount turbo.. But what I do know is that if you delete the RAVE valves, your fuel mileage will be cut almost in half.. NO BS.. it will suffer greatly!!!

Something to consider... since most of us pack gas ,as it is.

Losing fuel economy would be a big deal to most of us..

Kelsey

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
Possibly on a NA sled. With the testing I have done and been involved with on other turboed Ski-Doos with the Raves blocked off, the mileage was not an issue. This is not just a cover plate. It is a complete 3 piece billet valve to "delete" the operation of the valve. This is done out of necessity due to not being able to keep the rubber bellows in the RAVE assembly held onto the bellows cap under boost. With the valves being operated by the exhaust gases and not a servo, the valves are "blown" open at idle. So the function of them is no longer being used and why keep chasing your tail trying to keep them sealed. RAVE valve delete mod, problem solved.

Dave

I don't about the front mount turbo.. But what I do know is that if you delete the RAVE valves, your fuel mileage will be cut almost in half.. NO BS.. it will suffer greatly!!!

Something to consider... since most of us pack gas ,as it is.

Losing fuel economy would be a big deal to most of us..

Kelsey

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Possibly on a NA sled. With the testing I have done and been involved with on other turboed Ski-Doos with the Raves blocked off, the mileage was not an issue. This is not just a cover plate. It is a complete 3 piece billet valve to "delete" the operation of the valve. This is done out of necessity due to not being able to keep the rubber bellows in the RAVE assembly held onto the bellows cap under boost. With the valves being operated by the exhaust gases and not a servo, the valves are "blown" open at idle. So the function of them is no longer being used and why keep chasing your tail trying to keep them sealed. RAVE valve delete mod, problem solved.

Dave

I understand the issue.. But I had an exhaust valve Turbo'd Sled and I pinned the exhaust valve opened (ie no void, the valve was in..but pinned in the open position.

Fuel mileage suffered badly... had to unpin the valves to get the mileage back..

Whether the sled is boosted or not boosted should have no effect on the fuel mileage at lower rpms... This is sorta like the boosted sled's engine gets better oil to the crank bearings theory..:confused::confused:

Anyway.. your kit looks very nice.. but based on my experience with turbo'd and N/A engines with the valves pinned open.. the mileage will suffer badly. Just some friendly insight

Kelsey

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
You have to control the exhaust valves. They are not opened up only by exhauts gasses. That it why we leave them in. The bottom end is better and the fuel milage stays. My testing has been the same.

I have started a new thread about this so this thread can be about DH Turbo.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
And thats why there are different kits on the market. Multiple opinions, multiple ways of getting the job done.

Like it or not, the Rave valves on a doo do not have any mechanical form of opening or closing. They are done off of pressure. When boost is built, they are "blown" open. So, if you want a laggy turbo kit, that doesnt build boost until you are well into the rpm band, then you could probably see a gain by leaving the valves in. But, if you want a turbo setup that builds boost instantly and doesnt have much or any lag to boost, then you are dealing with a different animal. The Rave valves will be blown open immediatly and you will not see any gain off the bottom by leaving them operational.

Mind you, if your turbo setup builds boost quickly rather than building boost later, you cannot offset the gain of quick boost with a closed rave valve and not having boost built yet.

As Dave said, fuel economy really hasnt been a problem. I would venture to say that fuel economy would not change between leaving the valves operational or deleting them simply because the turbo setup is building boost damn near instantly and the valves would be blown open.

On a Cat things are a bit different because the valves are mechanically controlled I believe.

My .02

Jake

Last edited:

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Jake post some stuff in the other thread. I will comment there.

Dave keep her up I have seen things that sounded weird but work very well. Rules where made to be broken in the turbo world.

Last edited:
T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
So back to discussion about front mount XP turbos.

Is there anyone out there that can comment on what effect moving about 20 lbs of weight from the right hand side up to the top is going to be??

Jake

Premium Features