• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So what is the belt issue fix?

B
Feb 28, 2008
wasilla
like the title says..... my inlaw has an 08 xp with major belt issues. burns 1-2 belts every ride. im thinking of taking it off his hands but want a fix first, as i am new to the xp . i dont think i can afford 200.00 day rides. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I went through 3 belts in the first 150 KM and after I made the following changes, I put more than 2000 KM on the same 377 belt. This is what worked for me and have had zero issues since I made the changes:

1. Gear down to a 19T top sprocket from 21T. Some guys recommend 20T (Depends on track length) I had a 154"

2. Blue/Blue Primary spring

3. 19 grams of weight in each of the roller pins (fill from cotter pin to end of roller with 6mm set screws)

4. Make sure you ditch the old 417300166 belt and go with the 417300377! They are slightly shorter and therefore sit in a better position on the sheaves.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
With proper alignment, cleanliness and setup a belt will last all season...IMo the stock setup is not proper for hard mountain riding.
Also check the motor mount bolts, especially the PTO/AFT mount bolt.
'08 had some bushing wear issues, easily fixed.

I was having the same problems that you just described... My solution was a gear down to 19 and a Rooster Built Clutch kit. That is the best mod IMO. My alignment was way outta specs too. Also this season I installed a vent kit.

Last edited:
in 08' brp was having problems with there belt manufactures they were just built poorly . their new manufacture makes a great belt now and they are very durable. also to help with that issue they sent out bulletines fo a 19T sprocket witch helped a great deal. I am a certified tech for ski-doo so if you have anymore questions pm me. I would not sugest changing out springs for that belt issue, unless you want to go to an 09' clutch set up which will help your 08' drastically. They also have there 20010 team clutch out right now i suggest going with that clutch set up for the higher engagment

Last edited:
Premium Features