• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Experience points & rep

Do you like the new format of SnoWest?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Wish they would change it back.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
okay what does this stuff mean? How do you get points and what is the purpose?

Level up: 74%, 78 Points needed

Activity: 5%
Since this has obviously caught most everyone's attention, I thought I would take a couple minutes to explain in a bit more detail just how on earth we are computing this new points system that generates the colored bars your now seeing.

The following is how SnoWest evaluates each member and determines their total score. Each of these carries a different value of points, the lowest being 0.5 and the highest being 50 right now.

Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile
Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages

But as you can see, the points calculations look at the TOTAL activity of an SnoWest member. You could never post a single thread on SnoWest and still rack up plenty of points by being an active participating member on the site in other ways.

UNDERSTANDING THE BARS.
Underneath the name of the poster are three colored bars.

ORANGE
The orange bar displays your total number of SnoWest points, and the bar shows your relative score as compared to the top poster on the site.

GREEN
The green bar shows your activity level based on participation on SnoWest. Every member can MAX out this bar just by being active in the various categories that award points.

BLUE
The blue bar shows how close you are to being promoted to the next level. There are 100 levels of membership from 0 points, to the highest score recorded on SnoWest. Levels are broken down in equal increments from top to bottom.

These three bars will allow any member to quickly get a snapshot of any other SnoWest member.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
It's kind of a "whatever" thing for me. I come here to bs and talk sleds. However, b/c there's a points system, I sometimes feel the need to make sure my points are all accounted for...know what I mean Vern?

There are a lot of new users on here that I've never seen or heard from before. The points could be good or bad. You could have a user with a ton of points that is just a keyboard jockey and nothing else. You could also have someone like MountainHorse who really knows his stuff.

Post count really means nothing. Points don't mean much either. You really just need to spend some time on SW and see who is giving out good advice. That system has worked best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features