• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 summit 800R Clutching

M
Dec 21, 2007
I had the motor rebuilt last year, new crank and top end. I have the sled vented very well, the clutches don't get too hot and have never broken a belt. I dropped gear size from 21 to 19, lots more bottom end. The problem is the clutching is good then sluggish it seems to change through the day. I checked the rollers in the primary they are ok. The primary needs to be blown out with air every ride to keep belt dust from building up.
Would the primary and secondary off the new XP's work better?
When the clutchs are clean and cool the sled pulls hard but it is not consistant.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The stock ramps (415's) cause the issue; never intended for the power band of the 800R (but rather the power band of the series III 800). Swap to 412's or 417's - MUCH better consistency with that motor (steeper so they build rpm's faster which the 800R likes). And make sure you have all the updates - bushings, buttons, helix and primary spring and that nothing is binding. Finally, float the secondary to keep belt dust at a mimimum.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
you wouldnt be able to put the secondary from an XP onto an 07, they are different jackshafts. Also, the primary clutch on the XP's and 07 rev 800R are all the TRA-7. Heat is a constant problem with clutches and sometimes the only thing you can do is to stop and let them cool off:confused:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
All '07's need the '09 spring cap/bushing assy. in the primary. They need fresh bushings in the secondary (they are small and wear VERY fast), or better yet a TEAM secondary.
Stock ramps, stock 160/290 spring, 1mm oversize rollers, Team sec. w/58/40.46-58/42.46 w/red/pink spring and 2 Delrin washers. Stock gearing, pin weight for altitude and run ONLY the -288 belt....it'll rip hard and be consistant. :beer;

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
All '07's need the '09 spring cap/bushing assy. in the primary. They need fresh bushings in the secondary (they are small and wear VERY fast), or better yet a TEAM secondary.
Stock ramps, stock 160/290 spring, 1mm oversize rollers, Team sec. w/58/40.46-58/42.46 w/red/pink spring and 2 Delrin washers. Stock gearing, pin weight for altitude and run ONLY the -288 belt....it'll rip hard and be consistant. :beer;

Oversize rollers will have a similar effect as steeper ramps - more than one way to skin a cat (IAC the key to getting consistent rpm's with the 800R is to build rpm's faster which both will do). What's the diff between the '09 primary cap/bushing and the updated '07 version that came out late that year under warranty? And yes, the whole smaller secondary bushing for the more powerful 800R was just idiotic on BRP's part!

Have FUN!

G MAN

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Oversize rollers will have a similar effect as steeper ramps - more than one way to skin a cat (IAC the key to getting consistent rpm's with the 800R is to build rpm's faster which both will do). What's the diff between the '09 primary cap/bushing and the updated '07 version that came out late that year under warranty? And yes, the whole smaller secondary bushing for the more powerful 800R was just idiotic on BRP's part!

Have FUN!

G MAN

In alot of cases they were just putting the identical part in under the clutch recall. The '08's had the same problem and the "good" cap wasn't around until '09 that I know of.....so a guy gets the updates done and 200 miles later it MAY or may not be out of spec. I just recommend people go with the newer cap/bushing to be safe, they are only $58. Once the bushing in the cap goes, then the wear on everything is accellerated....things get inconsistant and it costs even more $$. :beer;

N
Nov 26, 2007
northern ca.
In alot of cases they were just putting the identical part in under the clutch recall. The '08's had the same problem and the "good" cap wasn't around until '09 that I know of.....so a guy gets the updates done and 200 miles later it MAY or may not be out of spec. I just recommend people go with the newer cap/bushing to be safe, they are only $58. Once the bushing in the cap goes, then the wear on everything is accellerated....things get inconsistant and it costs even more $$. :beer;

Thanks brew. Do you have part #'s by chance

D
Jul 13, 2009
Reno, NV
I would be very interested in knowing that too. Seeing the first bit of snow hit the Sierras has got me motivated to do some maintenance before the season begins.

D
Jul 13, 2009
Reno, NV
Does anyone have all of the part numbers and a unit count for all of the things that would be needed? Previous owner confirmed for me that he had the clutch completely dialed in and had not put many miles on after but I would like to just have everything around because I plan to put a LOT of miles on this thing this winter. Thanks in advance for all the great guidance you all give.

V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
thanks again winterbrew,

BTW....I ordered all the items per your PM, including the 1mm oversize rollers, but I run 417 ramps, do you think that will be an issue?

-l-

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
thanks again winterbrew,

BTW....I ordered all the items per your PM, including the 1mm oversize rollers, but I run 417 ramps, do you think that will be an issue?

-l-

Steep ramps with oversize rollers is not a good idea - do one or the other but NOT both. If you want to get rid of the 417's I'll buy them from you. Also looking for an updated straight 44 helix for '07.

Have FUN!

G MAN

V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
WB,

do you think I should sell the 417's to Gman, and go with the 415's and oversize? Or stick with the 417's and stay standard?

Does it make that much of a differance?

Thank you VERY much!
-l-

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes....every change will make a difference. The bigger rollers add mass to the end of the arms. I'm not sure if the 417's are even the same profile.
I know the setup listed works and works VERY good....and small changes can make a big difference so I would not recommend changing anything. :beer;

Premium Features