• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 ZR600 EFI running rich

D
Oct 26, 2008
I have a 98 ZR600 EFI I bought as a basket case and put a new topend in it among other things. Rode it last year and thought it ran decent but this is my first sled. A buddy of mine rode it and seemed to think it was a bit boggy on the low end coming off idle. Also the thing uses oil like crazy. The plugs are black and it even has that nasty unburned oil residue seeping out of the left hand jug exhaust port. I rigged the oil pump myself so I know its adjusted properly. So far I changed the temp sensor and fuel pressure regulator from some extra parts I had laying around here. Changing these parts didn't make a change. Anyone have any idea's as to why this thing is running rich? The only aftermarket part on it is a set of original V Force reeds. Everything else is stock. Let me know. Thanks

T
Jan 27, 2008
lapine oregon
have your tps checked, sounds like your throttle plate angles may be off a little. my daughter has the exact same sled. throttle angle should be 3-5 degrees at idle. your oil pump may be tired. ihave 4 cats and every one of them i have eliminated the pumps and just mix my oil/gas. one less mechanicle thing to worry about. good luck!

Premium Features