• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Patriot boost bogging, loading up, fouling plug on one side.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So 5 weeks ago I spent a ride trying to figure out a bog issue on my sled and it went away somewhat on it own……. This is frustrating and unresolved.

Great snow conditions with dry snow falling all day at 20 degrees F.

The symptoms were. Super rich low end, black streaks in the snow, burbling in the mid and would rev out perfect on top as long as i babied it through the lower rpm range. Spot on 8300-8400 rpm peak and would rip the hill.

No codes, no cel.

Swapped plugs after it went to one cylinder from a bog til stuck scenerio. (Had 3-4 that day) and it went back to running on 2 cylinders but intermittent bogging the rest of the day. (Had to recover a sled with shattered secondary so just rode around the symptoms)

Went home and checked everything over, changed plugs again, compression test (good) sealed up some areas that might have gotten snow on the belt? Basically no smoking gun.

Rode it 4 times since then with zero issues, runs sweet.

Now yesterday and today my brothers sled (identical to mine) starts doing the same exact thing.
Boggy, heavy streaks on snow, fouling plug on one side, no codes, rips when it’s at peak rpm. ??‍♂️

We are both around 200-260 miles on them.

We have had zero issues with fuel pumps thus far.

3 rental patriot boost sleds along on the same trip zero issues. Running clean, burning the same gas, running the same oil.

His sled is going to the dealer when they open next week.

Anyone have any experience similar to this?

Squirreler

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2018
So 5 weeks ago I spent a ride trying to figure out a bog issue on my sled and it went away somewhat on it own……. This is frustrating and unresolved.

Great snow conditions with dry snow falling all day at 20 degrees F.

The symptoms were. Super rich low end, black streaks in the snow, burbling in the mid and would rev out perfect on top as long as i babied it through the lower rpm range. Spot on 8300-8400 rpm peak and would rip the hill.

No codes, no cel.

Swapped plugs after it went to one cylinder from a bog til stuck scenerio. (Had 3-4 that day) and it went back to running on 2 cylinders but intermittent bogging the rest of the day. (Had to recover a sled with shattered secondary so just rode around the symptoms)

Went home and checked everything over, changed plugs again, compression test (good) sealed up some areas that might have gotten snow on the belt? Basically no smoking gun.

Rode it 4 times since then with zero issues, runs sweet.

Now yesterday and today my brothers sled (identical to mine) starts doing the same exact thing.
Boggy, heavy streaks on snow, fouling plug on one side, no codes, rips when it’s at peak rpm.

We are both around 200-260 miles on them.

We have had zero issues with fuel pumps thus far.

3 rental patriot boost sleds along on the same trip zero issues. Running clean, burning the same gas, running the same oil.

His sled is going to the dealer when they open next week.

Anyone have any experience similar to this?

Mine does that if it switches to ethanol mode for some unknown reason happened 2 times to me on 600 miles definitely rich bottom end than but I have not blown plugs just get a bog at times if I’m ethanol mode and definitely not great bottom end. Fwiw... I have not blown one plug in 600miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Not with Patriot Boosts and in no way suggesting this but for some odd reason, have had a few Axys recently with same exact symptom and complaints. I replaced coil packs with new wires and caps. No more reported issues.

I had never replaced a coil pack on Polaris until last couple seasons.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Mine does that if it switches to ethanol mode for some unknown reason happened 2 times to me on 600 miles definitely rich bottom end than but I have not blown plugs just get a bog at times if I’m ethanol mode and definitely not great bottom end. Fwiw... I have not blown one plug in 600miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have had them switch to eth mode and have switched them back.

Wasn’t the problem this time.

Both are “out of break in mode”

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine bogged once and acted like it dropped a cylinder when i cracked it wide open. Was worried because i didn't have spare plugs. I guess my buddy did. Came out of it and hasn't twitched since in almost 400 miles. This was on first day and left it in ethanol mode through break in. Just changed it because I forgot about it. Put diamond s on and switched to non ethanol and haven't rode it yet.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Not with Patriot Boosts and in no way suggesting this but for some odd reason, have had a few Axys recently with same exact symptom and complaints. I replaced coil packs with new wires and caps. No more reported issues.

I had never replaced a coil pack on Polaris until last couple seasons.
Swapped the coil pack and the sled rips on a short test around the house.

Will test further tomorrow as snow conditions are all time.

Will report back.

E28B58EE-195D-43AA-BAD7-BA7A44DF37F3.jpeg
Screenshot from small drop video Friday.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow.70ED0133-E1ED-4CDC-8779-CB1D433E8821.jpeg

Last edited:
R
Sep 30, 2021
Washington

Will report back.

View attachment 386275

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow.View attachment 386276
By coil pack you mean the coils and wires? Is there a way to test without just changing them out? I am having the same problems and am not getting many answers or much help from the dealer with it. Basically if the engine light is not on I can make an appointment for diagnostics and I am responsible for it if they don't find the problem to warranty from my understanding. I'm not sure I trust them to find the problem unless someone shows it to them.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
By coil pack you mean the coils and wires? Is there a way to test without just changing them out? I am having the same problems and am not getting many answers or much help from the dealer with it. Basically if the engine light is not on I can make an appointment for diagnostics and I am responsible for it if they don't find the problem to warranty from my understanding. I'm not sure I trust them to find the problem unless someone shows it to them.
Yep they are the same from 800’s too.

Intermittent faults are hard to bench test.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'm just kind of thinking my way through this. Lots can cause a bog but with the fouled plug I'm thinking fuel/ignition.

Polaris published this article on their website which seems pretty basic but take note on the fuel and ignition.

I'd be curious to hook it up when it's experiencing problems to see if it's throwing a code

May or may not throw a code, if for an electrical or ignition fault might be easier to find but fuel might be a little tougher. Wondering which side fouled and if it's possible the knock sensor detected a lean condition, maybe starving for fuel/oil due maybe related to the ongoing fuel pump issues people are mentioning online like it cant get enough fuel and winds up with a higher than normal fuel to oil ratio causing bog and fouled plug. If not throwing a code maybe just as noted and ignition is just not getting a clean firing and replacing the coil pack, wires and plugs reassures all the connections are clean and solid, or the original coil pack is faulty.

I hate inconsistent bog issues and having a shop involved that cant find it. Had a pair of 98 AC Powder Special, both had a bog issue after a few miles when they were new. Took them to the dealer 3 times not being able to find out what was causing it. Wound up being a $.15 plastic washer on the throttle that would not pivot correctly 100% of the time and would trigger the Throttle Position Sensor so it thought the throttle was stuck and tried to shut down. But it took 3 trips to the dealership and them repeatedly billing me a diagnostic for .4hrs and finally the third time Cat had a service bulletin out by then addressing the issue.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I believe I saw on facebook about a week ago that Polaris was recommending a new plug?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

Will report back.

View attachment 386275

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow.View attachment 386276
Brothers Sled ripped all day today. Fouled out both the fancy plugs first thing in the morning. (-18F at the parking lot)

I think the coil pack was the culprit.

My sled did a little bit of the same crap near the end of the day.

Probably just swap to new ones on both sleds.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

The diagnostic equipment, the process, and the testing it takes while on the mountain to test for misfires under load is not conducive. Can’t simulate in the garage. There’s usually a spare sled somewhere to rob from if you suspect for an easy and quick test.

I do think the wires and caps are often more suspect than the coil packs but Hondas have been popping them for lunch for years. And it’s a quick swap from a spare sled. Plug cap carbon and wear has long been an issue and the plug wire quality could be better. I think this issue is going to be more common with all these factory boosts. With all of the extra fuel, they’re going to need good spark.

I also can’t help but wonder if the Patriot Boost should get a tighter spark plug gap spec. My Turbo Axys would miss like crazy if I didn’t run a 0.012-0.014” gap.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The diagnostic equipment, the process, and the testing it takes while on the mountain to test for misfires under load is not conducive. Can’t simulate in the garage. There’s usually a spare sled somewhere to rob from if you suspect for an easy and quick test.

I do think the wires and caps are often more suspect than the coil packs but Hondas have been popping them for lunch for years. And it’s a quick swap from a spare sled. Plug cap carbon and wear has long been an issue and the plug wire quality could be better. I think this issue is going to be more common with all these factory boosts. With all of the extra fuel, they’re going to need good spark.

I also can’t help but wonder if the Patriot Boost should get a tighter spark plug gap spec. My Turbo Axys would miss like crazy if I didn’t run a 0.012-0.014” gap.
I wonder if nology hotwires would be a good option.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I’m really glad you guys are doing Polaris‘s rd and warranty work how much do they pay for warranty work? It’s 2022 can’t they figure a way to make a coil only been around a 100 years or so. Stuff like this really makes me angry.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m really glad you guys are doing Polaris‘s rd and warranty work how much do they pay for warranty work? It’s 2022 can’t they figure a way to make a coil only been around a 100 years or so. Stuff like this really makes me angry.
You are angry that polaris isn’t getting the same quality of coils from the same supplier with the same part number as they got in 2018?

Your anger might be best served directed at the evil genius’s who wrecked the global supply chain with brainwashed fear……..

I bought a pair of coils from a 2014 pro for $24.55 and free shipping.

Premium Features