• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator rewind?

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
guido was just talking about this in another thread.....he made some good points. He said some place up in Canada does it....I would pm him, or else im sure he will chime in...

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
I rewinded the stator on my 03' Ski-doo. It worked great, but it took a while. Be sure to insulate the welding points after you are done rewinding. I used Araldit compound. Also be sure to get the exact right dimension of wire, and count how many turns.

Does all parts of the stator need to be rewinded, or have you found the faulty part?

Good luck.

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
I will be sending it somewhere to be done. I won't be doing it myself. I have/had an intermittent electrical problem before this- my sled would just shut off. It would start back up, but it only did this on a few trips. I could never get it to do it when I was trying to troubleshoot that issue. I never found out what was causing that. That was on my old motor. Both motors used the same electric stuff. The 975 uses a different ecu and different boondocker box. I also installed a 1.5 degree timimng key on the 975. On my 975 now it won't shut off. This leads me to believe it is the stator or flywheel. The TPS has been checked and tested by me.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
On my old doo, first the lights would not work. Then suddenly they could work. Ran it like that for several weeks, while trying to find out what the problem was. Then it suddenly shut off the engine. Tried to start - not a chance. Waited until next day, and it started at first try.

Stator issues can cause many strange problems.

I found the problem by attaching a voltmeter with test leads on both wires from the stator to the voltage regulator, and took it for a run. When the problem occured, i saw the voltage reading dropped a lot.

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Yeah that is what I figured that it was/is the stator. These 900 ones are known to be problematic. I want a new one or an updated/better one. I know polaris has updated the part #. I just don't know which one would be better. I will prolly get a rewind.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Good idea. Good luck with your sled. I'm sure you will get it working again.
You better hurry up, the snow is not far away :D

polarfox

Lifetime Membership
what's the tell tale signs of a stator going bad? My 06 fusion will be running along all fat and happy, and like someone hit the kill switch, it comes rolling to a stop. Two pulls of the rope and she's running again, for how long is anyones guess, but it keeps doing that. Sometimes I can go all day without an issue, sometimes it'll only go a few minutes. Of course it's never at an opportune moment. I'm ussually hanging off the edge of it when it decides to die, which in turn sends me rolling past it.:confused:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
sounds like a commmon stator issue to me..i would try and ohm it out first..but like the video states..."bad stators can still give good readings"...but sound slike it to me..

Premium Features