• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Mountain Sled?

I currently have a 2007 Polaris Switchback 600 CFI 144 in track that scored both pistons and took out one cylinder this past season. I live in North Dakota. All of my friends head out west to ride. I would like to go with next year, but I doubt that I will be able to make more than 2 trips a year. I have been debating on getting a mountain sled, but I still want to ride around here as well. The Liberty 800 engine makes me nervous as Polaris has not come out with a definitive fix. My friend has an 2008 M8 sno pro that he loves, but he says it sucks for riding around this area. The 2010 M8s look sweet, but it is the first year with a high output engine...so I am leary of AC as well. I think I could put a deeper lug track on my current sled, but I am not sure what that entails or if I have to purchase additional parts besides a track. Any suggestions? Anyone from ND or MN that has either RMK or M8 that rides around here as well?

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I've run an 1 3/4 track around here for a couple years now with no prob. My wife has the same sled as you and we put a 2 " track on it this year. I now have a 09 M8 that is going to be my only sled. They don't handle as well as a shorter lug track but they aren't that bad. If you put a bigger lug track on be sure to get a set of scratchers for it. On my wifes sled on the trail it drops the temps by 30 degrees with them down.

Thanks for the reply! I am currently looking at a 2009 M8 sno pro 153 with 235 miles on it. Dealer says it is in new condition...stored in an enclosed trailer. Warranty until December 2010. Dealer wants $8800 firm. I am wondering if this is a decent price...I know people have purchased new for $9400. Any thoughts...

D
Jun 1, 2004
Big Lake, Minnesota
I originally had a 03 Skidoo Renegade that I ran for 3 years as a 136 but then I stretched it out to a 151. I ran that sled here at home and out west. I now have a 800 Rev 151 that I run aound here at home. I don't have the money to have 2 sleds - one for here at home and one for the mountains. I have had not problems running the longer sleds here at home. Maybe go through hifaxes a little quicker but just need to be a little more carefull when riding that is all. I like it for around here it handles just fine. Not a big trail rider stick to the ditches and the fields. I definitely need to get some ice scratchers did not take them off last sled before I sold it and I should have.

Premium Features