• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK/Dragon Riser

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I was wondering what size riser that most people have gone with on their newer rmk or dragons. I was thinking maybe a 7 inch riser. After riding a 08 xp that a friend has for a little bit this last trip, I realized I definetly need a 7 or 8 inch riser. I definetly like the handling of the IQ a lot better, so much easier to turn over but maybe some of it was going from a 600 to 800, but anyways I'll keep my IQ. I would prefer not to have to extend wires and cables. I am hoping that I can maybe just re route them and be good with a 7 inch riser. Let me know what you have gone with.

Last edited:
C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
i just put on the bars off of the race chassi with a 5 inch riser and a isovibe. so now its one inch taller than stock i think they will work great

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
With the IQ chassis you would be lucky to get more than a 4 inch rise with the stock wiring and cables and this has been well documented. I'm 6' 2" (and a half lol) and I have an 8 inch riser with a 1.5 inch adapter for a total of 9.5 inches of rise on my 05 IQ and love it. It was a small pain to extend the wiring but I stand about 98% of the time and sitting down is a little awkward with that much height.

Ghost

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The stock 09 is 5 1/4". 08 was like 3 3/4". I use a 2 1/2" with Dragon Pro Tapers and it's all good.

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
On my 07 D7 I have fly 7" risers with the stock bars. I didn't have to extend the wiring or brake/throttle. Its not quite tall enough though, so this summer I'm upgrading to skinz bars.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i run a 6 inch stock bars, im 6'1 they are perfect. I want to run fly mountain bends with no rise, and the 6-8inch rox adjustable riser. i want them at the height now and capable to go lower if my girlfriend rides my sled or if im sitting down and i can run a wider grip

S

supersmith

Dec 2, 2007
I put a 7" fly on my 08 as well I still have them if you are interested. PM me. They are black.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I did the following on my 08 D8 and feel it is a great improvement:

Powermadd 6.5" Riser. You can also get 4.5" or 8.5", just be sure you get the "Narrow Style Polaris", they are tabbed NEW on the page. I like that it attaches with standard bolts so no more monkeying with allen wrenches on the bottom.

Skinz 2" Mountain Rise Bars. Also available in 4,6,8, or 10 inch rise. Good knurling and a solid bar with a comforatable bend.

Omega Billet demand type kill switch. No more accidental shut offs or windshield grommets under the OEM.

RSI Billet Throttle Block, RSI Extended Brake line (make sure you specify 08 or newer IQ with the Banjo fitting, the 06-07 IQ listed have the straight fitting on the caliper end), RSI Bar Hooks, RSI Hi Temp Warmers I went with the over the hook style and man do these things work. I used safety wire to wire them on first time and they heated the wire to the point of melting the grips. If you get cold hands or like to ride with really light weight gloves, these are the bomb. I did have some wiring conflict with the instructions, but I'm a dork. The instructions say red is ground on the element. Look in the instructions at the over hook picture and see if it doesnt look like white is ground since both red and blue circuits run to white. I wired per instructions first time with poor results, I wired white as ground second time and have had hot hands since. See what you think.

I have been using both the RSI Grips (7" for short hooks), and the ODI Grips from Western Power Sports. ODI's are a little thicker and softer, RSI are a little smaller and firmer. Both are great improvements on OEM.

Thats my set up. I am 6' with short arms (but thats all.lol). I am really happy with this combo. If you are getting much virbration coming through your bars (cough cough 900 guys cough) then Bar Snake is a great improvement. I put it in the Skinz bars, and the combo of it and the grips made for a smooth ride all day long.

I gotta give a Kudo's to MountainHorse who put me onto all these great products. I did make the phone calls myself though, I'm kind of a leader like that. LOL. Thanks MH. Here's a few pics:

800Bars015.jpg

800Bars006.jpg

800Bars004.jpg

800Bars014.jpg

If you get the extended brake line, get this Banjo fitting for 08 & newer

800Bars009.jpg

Throttle cable was good routed like this

800Bars005.jpg

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
Brake Line

Well I'm pretty sure I am set on getting a 7" fly riser. I messed with it a little today, just kind of getting an idea of where everything will sit and it looks like the wires will be plenty good, along with the throttle. The brake line looks like it is the limiting factor. I was thinking of routing it behind the oil tank and maybe right up through the hole right by the steering post, instead of that little aluminum square bracket. I was just wondering what everybody else did with their brake lines for their risers, short of buying a new one?

M
Dec 2, 2007
Glencoe, MN
I have a 07 D7 and have 4inch fly riser and SKINZ bars with 4inch rise in them. I love the SKINZ bars, very stout set up. They make them with 2, 4, 6, and 8 inch rise.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
With the IQ chassis you would be lucky to get more than a 4 inch rise with the stock wiring and cables and this has been well documented. I'm 6' 2" (and a half lol) and I have an 8 inch riser with a 1.5 inch adapter for a total of 9.5 inches of rise on my 05 IQ and love it. It was a small pain to extend the wiring but I stand about 98% of the time and sitting down is a little awkward with that much height.

Ghost

What exactly did you do to extend your brake line, and electrical cables? I'm 6'4" and only have a 3" riser on my 900 and I cuss and cuss and cuss every day I ride it in the pow because I'm so hunched over on it standing up I can only look at the ski hoops instead of where I'm going :eek:

Did you do a CroMo riser?

Edit:

I just looked through RSI's page.

$400 for everything I need.

I think I will probably wait until next season though, but they definatley have everything you could ever want for control products there :)

Last edited:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
On my D8 I have an 8 inch MMP riser, with stock bars. It is the PERFECT height. I wouldn't put on a 7 inch, it would be to low. 8 is awesome.I am just a smidge over 6'.

new snow and sledding trip 079.jpg new snow and sledding trip 082.jpg

D

D808

Jan 12, 2008
Peters Creek, Alaska
Riser

See if the Cat bars will fit and you wont have to get such big riser. I put an
Isovibe on mine and its in there with the rising rate rail set up for the two
best bang for the buck things I have tried in a long time.:D

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
What exactly did you do to extend your brake line, and electrical cables? I'm 6'4" and only have a 3" riser on my 900 and I cuss and cuss and cuss every day I ride it in the pow because I'm so hunched over on it standing up I can only look at the ski hoops instead of where I'm going :eek:

Did you do a CroMo riser?

Edit:

I just looked through RSI's page.

$400 for everything I need.

I think I will probably wait until next season though, but they definatley have everything you could ever want for control products there :)

You need to order a new brake line and extend the wires yourself. I used some powermadd stuff with a brake line from rsi but if I did it again I would use all rsi.

Brake line is super easy, disconnect and drain old one and then connect, fill, bleed.

The way I did it was to expose the wires and I marked each one on both sides then started cutting, then solder in however many inches of wire you need and make sure to either tape or use heat shrink the connections. slap on a wirm loop cover and route where you want.n there will be about 13 wires to cut and extend

all you "need" to order is the pivot adapter, pivot riser, and brake line and buy some wire and heatshrink locally. and some brake fluid

Last edited:
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Well I'm pretty sure I am set on getting a 7" fly riser. I messed with it a little today, just kind of getting an idea of where everything will sit and it looks like the wires will be plenty good, along with the throttle. The brake line looks like it is the limiting factor. I was thinking of routing it behind the oil tank and maybe right up through the hole right by the steering post, instead of that little aluminum square bracket. I was just wondering what everybody else did with their brake lines for their risers, short of buying a new one?
I have the 7in. fly riser. Take the lower Allens and replace them with real bolts and washers. Locktight everything. The stock torque specs will have the bars in your laps after a few good blasts of the throttle. With the allen bolts on the bottom it is a pain in the arse to tighten them on the snow. With bolts you can get to the heads with anywrench much easier. The top allens are ok as they are easy to get to. All cables are plenty long. you may have to free up some tywraps and reroute the brake line under the oil tank and dont put the oil line back into the bracket where all the rest of the wiring goes thru. You will have to bleed the brakes after that.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Great thread, so TTT...

Also, EW-

What bars hooks did you go with? I have the 2" SPG riser pars on order and I dont know if I am supposed to go with the steel or tapered aluminum?

-Nolan

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Also, EW-

What bars hooks did you go with? I have the 2" SPG riser pars on order and I dont know if I am supposed to go with the steel or tapered aluminum?

-Nolan

I went with these RSI hooks and have been happy. Did you consider getting the bars with the hooks already bent? Good luck man. EW

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Went with the 2" rise straight bars and purchased the long hooks along with all the other goodies you have there. Kill switch, heaters, and grips.

Thanks for the help and great info.

-Nolan

Premium Features