• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which companies are against snowmobiling??

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
Interesting list. Some of those companies play both sides. In fact most big companies play both sides.

BTW I was suprised to see MSR on the list. I didn't realize there was a company called mountain safety research. I thought the one and only MSR was Malcolm Smith Racing.

that is fricken funny. i have never heard of malcom smith racing but have been using msr stoves for over 20 years. If you want a backpacking stove that works, it is hard to beat msr. they just rebuilt my whisperlite international after 15 years. They have been good to me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

Coors.

FVCK, what about Crown and Red Bull. I'm gonna be sober pretty soon at this rate. now I'm gonna have to put wheels on my sled.

How about stickers on all our stuff like. On a new Diesel pickup that says, I created at least one job owning this truck, then on the back of the trailer being pulled by the diesel with 4 turbo sleds in it that says, Job creations. Thats more than oboma can say. I just stick with GO GREEN, BUY AN ARCTIC CAT.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Smith Optics??

They have a product line specifically for snowmobilers....

http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Goggles/Snowmobile+Series/

I think that is the point Bugito was trying to make. What puts a company on this list? Because they donate money to a conservation fund that protects wildlife? Does having a "green" recycling program where they try and cut back on their resources and carbon foot print put them on this list?

Big difference between a company that does the above and a company that targets and is strictly anti-motorsports.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
list

I think that is the point Bugito was trying to make. What puts a company on this list? Because they donate money to a conservation fund that protects wildlife? Does having a "green" recycling program where they try and cut back on their resources and carbon foot print put them on this list?

Big difference between a company that does the above and a company that targets and is strictly anti-motorsports.

That is why i put some companies in bold, they directly support the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Most of the rest support The Conservation Alliance, which supports the WWA. I am waiting for Catwoman to help me with the original list and how companies got on it. 75% on the list as it stands support those two groups.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
That is why i put some companies in bold, they directly support the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Most of the rest support The Conservation Alliance, which supports the WWA. I am waiting for Catwoman to help me with the original list and how companies got on it. 75% on the list as it stands support those two groups.

Give me a chance to get my feet back under me after being on vacation in West, then bringing home a Norwegian for a few days and having to get all of his travel plans figured out for the next week. I now need to try to catch up on some much needed sleep. :face-icon-small-blu

I didn't read everything over very well here. I know that Leatherman is another to stay away from (I didn't notice it listed, but I could have missed it). I had direct email back and forth with him. His only response was that if anyone boycotted the product, that it didn't hurt him, it only hurt his employees. :face-icon-small-dis

I will get back into my original links....but it's really not hard to take a look around at the enviro-zealot websites....they always have a list of supporters.

Camelbak....yeah...completely switched gears. Merrill shoes...though I've loved them...I'm done with them. Gosh...there are so may things..

And YES..I honestly feel the best thing WE can do is to contact these companies and let them know how WE feel. We are consumers too...and if we don't start standing up for ourselves, no one will.

G
Oct 29, 2010
Disappointing

I can garuntee that the majority of these companies are not against snowmobiling because they are soooo wilderness concious. They are anti-snowmobile because it is good for their bottom line. It is concerning that they would tread on the rights of others just to make a bit more profit, but it is not suprising. Would not mind shaking the hand of one of these guys someday so I can tell them how it feels to shake the hand of a coward.

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
Sigh, it is a long list. Besides snowmobiling I also hunt and backpack, it sucks trying to find good gear from companys that aren't supporting the WWA.

I think the hardest ones for me are the pro wildlife/hunting groups, Ducks Unlimited (my Dad has been a chapter preseident) Rocky Moutain Elk Foundation, etc. I like supporting these organizations and think they do a lot of good, but I'm conflicted due to their stances on wilderness areas. :face-icon-small-dis

JOHNNYLINGO

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I posted this on another thread, but wanted to share it here as well.

This is John from Klim. I just wanted to throw a couple of things out there.

First, Gore does not contribute to the Sierra Club. On a personal level the guys at Gore are outdoor enthusiast just like us. I’ve ridden both snowmobiles and motorcycles with them. Our account rep that lives in Seattle is a Land Cruiser junky. He’s built a Land Cruiser from the ground up and likes to take it out and go 4x4.

On a business level Gore would never alienate their own customers. Yes, there are people that ski that use Gore-Tex, but that does not mean Gore is for shutting access. Instead of promoting the closure of public land to motorized access, Gore has helped out in the snowmobile market more than all of the other fabric companies combined.

Here is an example. This year, Gore-Tex and Klim teamed up to offer five $1000 grants to five different snowmobile clubs across the US this winter. Any club was eligible that was a member of a State Snowmobile Association. Clubs had to attend a snow show in their area and present a simple plan at the Klim booth outlining what good they would do with the grant. The winners were chosen based on the validity and effectiveness of the plans submitted and the grant was given out on the spot (at the show).

The purpose of the Grant was to:

#1: drive traffic to the shows, this helped the entire industry.
#2: The grant was only given to clubs that were members of a state snowmobile association in an effort to help the state associations and ACSA maintain a population of active clubs—the people making the difference.
#3: To benefit clubs and their programs directly, which Klim and Gore feels is the backbone of the industry.

One grant was given away in Washington State to the State’s first snowmobile club; The Yakima Ski Benders. The money went to help subsidized lost DNR funds to keep parking areas plowed and trails groomed from “Wenachee to our own Ahtanum State Forest.”

Another club in Utah; the Skyline Snow Riders, was able to get the State of Utah to match the Gore-Tex grant so they walked away with $2000 to directly benefit the future of their riding areas. Here are some news stories:

http://www.kimatv.com/news/local/64628057.html

http://www.klimusa.com/Custom/News.aspx?NewsID=288

As a business in the snowmobile market we are trying to do all we can to help fight the ridiculous land grab. Klim partners with pro-access groups (such as The Blue Ribbon Coalition) and works hard for year-round access to our public lands. We would not purposely work with someone that would take us backwards. Gore has been a great partner over the years and we feel they are in a pivotal position to help us communicate with their other customers in the non-motorized world. Through this communication, we can all get to the table and discuss why nobody can be the selfish child in the sandbox—we all have the right to play.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
updated list

Smith Optics is on the list because they support the Colorado Mountain Club who directly supports the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Alot support one group or another but it boils down to support for non-motorized.

Look out for and look them up, read there mission statements, study what there goals are, look to see who there partners are, i get email updates from some:
The Conservation Alliance..... www.conservationalliance.com/
Winter Wildlands Alliance..... www.winterwildlands.org/
Quiet Use Coalition................www.quietuse.org/
Colorado Mountain Club........www.cmc.org/

Last edited:
Premium Features