• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo M8, Power for the oil pump?

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I have a 2009 M8 with a boondocker turbo. Overall I'm very happy with the sled, but I am getting tired of unplugging the oil pump to start it when it's cold. I have found that if I don't unplug the pump, it is just about impossible for me to get it started, even when it's 75F out. If I unplug the pump, the sled starts on the third pull, just like every other M8 that's been sitting a while.

Presently the pump is spliced into the fuel pump wiring, which makes me think that it's stealing just enough power from the fuel pump to keep it from priming. I am wondering if there is somewhere else I can pick up power from that won't steal from the stator's output that goes to the fuel pump...

FWIW, I replace the stator this fall with zero change, which ruled out my theory that a weak stator was to blame. I have considered putting the pump on a switch, but I'm afraid I'll forget to turn it on, so having the hood up to unplug the pump, start the sled, then plug it in and drop the hood is my present safety system to ensure turbo oiling.

I had heard a few people tie into the power to the reverse beeper... Is that a different stator supply? It seems like it would all come from the 12v DC rectifier...

Thanks if any of you have any ideas.

Premium Features