• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS velocity shock work

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
Trying to find any info available or how to contact TRS to get my velocity shocks re-valved? What little I’ve been on here it sounds like they are one of the best go to options for having this done? Bang for buck is this probably my best option or would it be worth trying raptors or zbros spring options? I haven’t rode the sled much but my initial thoughts on the suspension isn’t ideal for throwing the sled around. Sled is a 2024 matryx slash 9r with a 155. Any help would be appreciated.

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Anything is a big difference. I road mine stock for one day to see what they were like and then I put fox coil on for the nxt ride and it was a night and day difference. I'll never ride stock again.

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
Yea I’m almost kicking myself for upgrading to the velocity’s when I did my build. I considered going with the standard WE and then upgrading to Fox or raptors. At this point I figured I’d send the velocity’s out to have em worked over and worst case I’ll swap em out before next year. I’ve only rode my 9r one time as well and even tho the snow conditions weren’t ideal I was pretty disappointed with how much effort it took to get the sled on one ski and hold an edge. Especially after I rode my buddies 2021 axys that also has a 155. I’m not saying I won’t be satisfied if I can’t get the Matryx to lay over like an axy’s or if it’s even possible, but my initial impression was nothing but disappointment. Curious to know what people have done with the factory setup to achieve better results with this issue or is it even possible? I know when going straight up hill I could get the sled to completely flip back so ski lift definitely isn’t an issue. I’ve considered moving the front skid down to the lower bolt hole to see if that’s gonna help with flick ability but I then again I don’t want uncontrollable lift when climbing. I just know the last thing I wanna do is spend time messing around with a setup that ultimately isn’t going to attain much result when we get into some good riding conditions. I guess what I’m saying is, other then replacing the velocity’s what should I do with them that’s gonna get the best results? Should one just send them in and have them re-valved for my weight and riding style, or would it be worth a shot to try springs from raptor or z-bro’s and play around with different adjustments? Part of me really wants to see what can be done with what’s there vs just replacing it. After that if I’m still not happy I’ll re-evaluate. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
First year since the khaos has been out that I didn’t order one, got an RMK instead. Figured I’d pay less for my 24’ boost with the plain Jane shocks and then get aftermarket. Rails are the same as khaos so I just got khaos fix shocks and a limiter strap

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Can you provide some additional details about yourself (weight/experience), is your 9R is a 155 (pro or khaos?), terrain preference (what you seek out), and riding style (how you ride and/or wish you could ride)? Also a baseline of what sled/suspension you liked previously? And what specifically do you want it to do differently than it does now? That should help folks react/respond.

I find the matryx to be excellent at staying on edge, but it does take a little work (very similar to the axys) to get on edge. They share the same front end, with a narrower tunnel and running boards. Poo is more work to initially get on edge than a doo (especially one with T-mo), but far easier to keep on edge once it's there.

As one example, for me, stock 155 khaos sleds are not my preference... just too much chaos to ride precise lines with needed ski pressure. I am not out to do bow ties every time I lose momentum with the track digging a huge trench. I WANT momentum and to stay on top of the snow with that ski very close to the surface, which means track shock preload settings and having a limiter strap that functions are critical.

We've been reminded so far this season that in shallow and firm snow with rusty skills all the sleds are hard to ride!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I’m still working on a Velocity H/L valving package.
I’ve been having issues with consistent H/L cartridge clicker adjustments. I’ll be digging into them again tomorrow.

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
First year since the khaos has been out that I didn’t order one, got an RMK instead. Figured I’d pay less for my 24’ boost with the plain Jane shocks and then get aftermarket. Rails are the same as khaos so I just got khaos fix shocks and a limiter strap
I took the last 4 years off so when placing my snow check order last March I opted to go with slash pro rmk model as well. From what I’d been told and researched I felt like I’d be better off going that route but also the difference’s between the 2 have been narrowed down as far as different parts. Funny thing is my friend that I rode with this past weekend has a new 2024 as well but his is the khaos 850. He had a few minor issues so it’s been at the dealer so he rode his spare 2021 axy’s khaos and he also has the same complaint as myself with the Matryx chassis even tho his is a khaos. He removed his sway bar “which I also did myself”, and he’s also played around alittle with his suspension setup as well. He’s actually rode his 2024 in a few feet of powder and regardless is unhappy with how much harder the Matryx is to throw around. I think if the difference between the Matryx and axy’s wasn’t so far off right out of the box it wouldn’t be as big of deal, but like for like both sleds with 155in tracks the axy’s was effortless in less then ideal conditions. As far as my 9r goes I know that the besides messing around with spring tension I couldn’t gain much from adjusting the clickers. I know messing around with spring tension or moving the front skid down to the lower hole will help, but how much more lift am I’m gonna get when climbing? There’s no complaint whatsoever with how it carries the ski’s in fact taming the front down a bit would be nice. I just don’t think with the series 9 track and factory suspension it’s possible to adjust and gain more maneuverability without going overboard on keeping the front end down when climbing. I could be wrong but that’s why I’m here lol. The beautiful thing about it is we have places like this where we can help each other and gain knowledge vs hoping the guy selling you on every other aftermarket part is actually doing for your best interest which usually is a 50/50 ball game.
Can you provide some additional details about yourself (weight/experience), is your 9R is a 155 (pro or khaos?), terrain preference (what you seek out), and riding style (how you ride and/or wish you could ride)? Also a baseline of what sled/suspension you liked previously? And what specifically do you want it to do differently than it does now? That should help folks react/respond.

I find the matryx to be excellent at staying on edge, but it does take a little work (very similar to the axys) to get on edge. They share the same front end, with a narrower tunnel and running boards. Poo is more work to initially get on edge than a doo (especially one with T-mo), but far easier to keep on edge once it's there.

As one example, for me, stock 155 khaos sleds are not my preference... just too much chaos to ride precise lines with needed ski pressure. I am not out to do bow ties every time I lose momentum with the track digging a huge trench. I WANT momentum and to stay on top of the snow with that ski very close to the surface, which means track shock preload settings and having a limiter strap that functions are critical.

We've been reminded so far this season that in shallow and firm snow with rusty skills all the sleds are hard to

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
Yea I’ve been going back and forth on this situation thinking about it and I do believe a lot of it is like you mentioned in your last sentence. My 9r is just the pro option and I went with the 155 series 9 track. I know there’s a lot of different factors to take into account but It just seemed alittle unsettling that the 3 year old axy’s we had with us, which is completely stock as well, and also is a 155, was so much easy to ride. As far as riding style goes I’d say I’m pretty similar to yourself. I like beating around in technical areas and creek beds. I also enjoy a moderate amount of hill climbing but not as much anymore. I think what I’ve ultimately decided these last few days is not to get ahead of myself with this deal. I figured I’m gonna do some research and see what kind of info I can gather for a good baseline setup for my weight and just see what happens when I actually get it into some good snow. I figure if nothing changes after a few rides and some adjustments I can always resort to spending $ then.

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
I took the last 4 years off so when placing my snow check order last March I opted to go with slash pro rmk model as well. From what I’d been told and researched I felt like I’d be better off going that route but also the difference’s between the 2 have been narrowed down as far as different parts. Funny thing is my friend that I rode with this past weekend has a new 2024 as well but his is the khaos 850. He had a few minor issues so it’s been at the dealer so he rode his spare 2021 axy’s khaos and he also has the same complaint as myself with the Matryx chassis even tho his is a khaos. He removed his sway bar “which I also did myself”, and he’s also played around alittle with his suspension setup as well. He’s actually rode his 2024 in a few feet of powder and regardless is unhappy with how much harder the Matryx is to throw around. I think if the difference between the Matryx and axy’s wasn’t so far off right out of the box it wouldn’t be as big of deal, but like for like both sleds with 155in tracks the axy’s was effortless in less then ideal conditions. As far as my 9r goes I know that the besides messing around with spring tension I couldn’t gain much from adjusting the clickers. I know messing around with spring tension or moving the front skid down to the lower hole will help, but how much more lift am I’m gonna get when climbing? There’s no complaint whatsoever with how it carries the ski’s in fact taming the front down a bit would be nice. I just don’t think with the series 9 track and factory suspension it’s possible to adjust and gain more maneuverability without going overboard on keeping the front end down when climbing. I could be wrong but that’s why I’m here lol. The beautiful thing about it is we have places like this where we can help each other and gain knowledge vs hoping the guy selling you on every other aftermarket part is actually doing for your best interest which usually is a 50/50 ball game.
Yea I’ve been going back and forth on this situation thinking about it and I do believe a lot of it is like you mentioned in your last sentence. My 9r is just the pro option and I went with the 155 series 9 track. I know there’s a lot of different factors to take into account but It just seemed alittle unsettling that the 3 year old axy’s we had with us, which is completely stock as well, and also is a 155, was so much easy to ride. As far as riding style goes I’d say I’m pretty similar to yourself. I like beating around in technical areas and creek beds. I also enjoy a moderate amount of hill climbing but not as much anymore. I think what I’ve ultimately decided these last few days is not to get ahead of myself with this deal. I figured I’m gonna do some research and see what kind of info I can gather for a good baseline setup for my weight and just see what happens when I actually get it into some good snow. I figure if nothing changes after a few rides and some adjustments I can always resort to spending $ then.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
They are better but still have consistency issues.
Worked on the adjusters all afternoon. Not happy.
Is it looking like a design/calibration issue or is it something with the geometry of the reservoir pointed up that's making it hard to get all the air out without a vacuum bleed?

J
Dec 24, 2023
Yakima Wa
I vacuum bleed all the velocity
They are better but still have consistency issues.
Worked on the adjusters all afternoon. Not happy.
I was curious if this was the case. My friend has a new 2024 850 but his is a khaos. He’s in the same boat I’m in but he also mentioned that he doesn’t see much of a difference with adjusting the clickers. His first ride he started off with the clicker settings recommended in the manual and tried minor adjustments. Eventually after a few rides he’s cranked them up on the front and fts and down on the rear with almost no change. I wanna say he’s even tightened down the tension on his fts one or 2 turns. I’m just wondering if they have to low of psi or an incorrect amount of oil in right out of the gate? Is this something you’ve been seeing at an alarming rate?

Premium Features