• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adjustable Clutch Weights Contenders

U
Feb 1, 2013
I have 2 different 21 Khaos 850’s. One is a 163 2.6 the other is a 165 2.75. Both have the QD2 gearing.

I have the BD weights in the 163. The SLP magnum force in the 165. The 163 seems snappier off the bottom end, more lively. The 165 is lazier feeling. The 165 seems like more of a tractor though. Just keeps going.

Obviously 2 different tracks so not apples to apples.

I find the BD weights easier to deal with being capsules instead of different little set screws. Also they load the weights differently. The SLP loads from the tip to the heel, while the BD loads from the heel to the tip.

So as you increase weight in each sled it’s a different shift curve. The lighter you go in the SLP the more tip biased it is. As you add weight it shifts it more towards the mid/heel.
While the BD starts at the heel and adds weight towards the mid/ tip as you go.

I had trouble getting the BD where I wanted it. It was over revving a touch with the one capsule and under with the other. I ended up adding a little stiffer primary spring and it’s in the sweet spot now.

So I would say the BD is easier to work with, less fussing around with little set screws, harder to fine tune. SLP is easier to fine tune but easier to drop a weight and lose. Happy with both set ups and would use either again.

U
Nov 29, 2007
I ran Dalton QAP-2 in my 850 last weekend I had them set at 68grams You are supposed to run the set screws bottomed in the toe off the weight. I ended up running one 1” and one 3/8” on the heal end worked good no issues with the screws backing out. Engagement was 200-300 higher than I liked but the peak was exactly where I wanted it.

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
I have 2 different 21 Khaos 850’s. One is a 163 2.6 the other is a 165 2.75. Both have the QD2 gearing.

I have the BD weights in the 163. The SLP magnum force in the 165. The 163 seems snappier off the bottom end, more lively. The 165 is lazier feeling. The 165 seems like more of a tractor though. Just keeps going.

Obviously 2 different tracks so not apples to apples.

I find the BD weights easier to deal with being capsules instead of different little set screws. Also they load the weights differently. The SLP loads from the tip to the heel, while the BD loads from the heel to the tip.

So as you increase weight in each sled it’s a different shift curve. The lighter you go in the SLP the more tip biased it is. As you add weight it shifts it more towards the mid/heel.
While the BD starts at the heel and adds weight towards the mid/ tip as you go.

I had trouble getting the BD where I wanted it. It was over revving a touch with the one capsule and under with the other. I ended up adding a little stiffer primary spring and it’s in the sweet spot now.

So I would say the BD is easier to work with, less fussing around with little set screws, harder to fine tune. SLP is easier to fine tune but easier to drop a weight and lose. Happy with both set ups and would use either again.
Thanks for the info. Curious on your elevation and setup with th bd weights, what base/capsule and spring did ypu go to?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I finally got to ride with the Boondocker high-energy weights at 63 g with 6 g capsules. I will tell you that the sled is an absolute different sled, and absolutely even more of a beast than it was before. It flat our rips!

Most notably the bottom end is extremely different as well as the the top pulling way harder than stock.

I did have 70 g stock Polaris weights but I wouldn’t attribute the 1 g difference to any of this. It’s too much all the high energy weights. ?

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
I finally got to ride with the Boondocker high-energy weights at 63 g with 6 g capsules. I will tell you that the sled is an absolute different sled, and absolutely even more of a beast than it was before. It flat our rips!

Most notably the bottom end is extremely different as well as the the top pulling way harder than stock.

I did have 70 g stock Polaris weights but I wouldn’t attribute the 1 g difference to any of this. It’s too much all the high energy weights. ?
Stock springs?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
You don’t need to pull a clutch apart to change weights. The cover plate does not need to come off
Gotcha, so easy to do with the cover off, never thought to try and do it without. With my BD weights, it’s even easier?

E

E Money

Aug 7, 2011
In case anyone is interested I ended up going with the BMP snyper adjustable weights. Wanted the flexibility of both magnets and adjusting easily without taking clutch cover off etx. On a 22 matryx 850 khaos 165, ride intderior bc about 6000 to 7000 feet mostly, stock high elevation clutching 10-68 weights 120/320 primary spring. Went with the large 6.8 screw in at heel and 1, 2,1 for magnets (70.4 g total). Also threw in a new primary spring and delrin washers. Sled pulled harder on bottom and mid, hits 8200 pretty quick and hold through pull, 2' of pow on setup base. Definite improvement. Not sure if it is worth tinkering any more. Thx to those that helped.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Just in case everybody is wondering. We did a little test this weekend while we were in Seeley. My buddy Stephen ran the same boondocker high energy weights as me, with the exception, he switched out his helix and Springs. I ran 67.9 g total and he was running 66. I only have a high energy weights and we both have 2022 850 slash 155’s.

I was blown away with how much my sled ripped and everybody that jumped on It agreed. Caleb Kesterke hopped on it and he thought it was a 9r, to which he was shocked when I told him no, it was an 850.

I can find out, but I’m not sure which helix and springs Stephen had, but the moral of the story is, if you’ve got the same sled, put the boondocker high energy weights in with the stock 120/320 spring and you will be pleasantly surprised and extremely happy!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Just in case everybody is wondering. We did a little test this weekend while we were in Seeley. My buddy Stephen ran the same boondocker high energy weights as me, with the exception, he switched out his helix and Springs. I ran 67.9 g total and he was running 66. I only have a high energy weights and we both have 2022 850 slash 155’s.

I was blown away with how much my sled ripped and everybody that jumped on It agreed. Caleb Kesterke hopped on it and he thought it was a 9r, to which he was shocked when I told him no, it was an 850.

I can find out, but I’m not sure which helix and springs Stephen had, but the moral of the story is, if you’ve got the same sled, put the boondocker high energy weights in with the stock 120/320 spring and you will be pleasantly surprised and extremely happy!
Yeah but you ended up with the most stickers, therefore your clutching must be junk ?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Yeah but you ended up with the most stickers, therefore your clutching must be junk ?
Shut your mouth sticker boy! “Most” is all relative if you take the years I’ve ridden and divided it by the amount of stickers?

But go ahead, be a Chilly and get your status back up? You’ll probably say something like… Getting stuck on a trail when everyone else goes by or something like that?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Shut your mouth sticker boy! “Most” is all relative if you take the years I’ve ridden and divided it by the amount of stickers?

But go ahead, be a Chilly and get your status back up? You’ll probably say something like… Getting stuck on a trail when everyone else goes by or something like that?
Considering you couldn't even make it to the places where I got stickered... ?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

My buddy was stuck below me right before i tore my heat exchanger. I flipped mine on its tail and he had to go to plan b and was stuck. He had all the stickers so i asked him if i could have one. No way i would have walked to him, if he would have gave me one, because i wouldn't have been able to get back to my sled. I dug through his gear today at shop and found one and put it on his sled. That's legal in my book.

U
Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the info. Curious on your elevation and setup with th bd weights, what base/capsule and spring did ypu go to?
Sorry for the late response. I couldn’t remember the capsule. But I recently acquired a new matryx and was swapping some clutching around .

BD base 61 gram with the 12 capsule. Each weight with capsul weighed right around 69grams. From 68.89 to 69.24 on my cheap digital scale. SLP blue pink spring.

I also ride interior BC 5500-6500 mostly.

The plot thickens though. So my sled has had some bogging plug fouling issues. After getting the new Matryx I was putting the 21 Khaos back to stock before putting it up for sale. I swapped the BD clutching into the other 21 Khaos 165. The SLP clutching into the matryx from the 165.

More of a just an experiment to see how the clutching worked in the 165.

Well the 165 now developed some issues it never has before. It didn’t bog but it seemed to go into a limp mode, or it was belt slip. Not sure. But basically no power felt like the brake was on, along with some noise like a blown belt or track ratchet.

Also fouled a plug on the 165 that day. Only fouled one plug previously on that sled.

Pulled the BD clutching and put it back to stock. Sled ran fine next time out. Started looking at the weights. The faces had some funny wear in them. Flat spot in the curve profile of the one. Wear tracks in the other 2 where the rollers ride.

I haven’t had the chance to ride the 163 since pulling the clutching but am interested to see if the plug fouling and bogging issues are gone now. Seems odd that as soon as the BD weights went into the 165 it developed new issues.

Premium Features