• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Togwotee Mountain Lodge - Let it snow!!

M
Dec 1, 2007
Yet another one of my posts that went completely ignored. :face-icon-small-fro
We were told last year that all of the problems from the past about getting paired with bad groups were fixed and we spend half of our time entertaining ourselves out there last year because we could not get with a good group. DUNCAN, how can you assure me that this won't happen again? And if I do decide to give it one more shot out there(which i might, i have over half of the trip fund already saved up) then what can i do to ensure i have a good time? Is there anyone i can talk to at the lodge if we leave in the morning and get paired with a bad group? or are our pairings a take it or leave it deal? Thanks for your time and thanks for caring enough to hear us out!!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Yet another one of my posts that went completely ignored. :face-icon-small-fro
We were told last year that all of the problems from the past about getting paired with bad groups were fixed and we spend half of our time entertaining ourselves out there last year because we could not get with a good group. DUNCAN, how can you assure me that this won't happen again? And if I do decide to give it one more shot out there(which i might, i have over half of the trip fund already saved up) then what can i do to ensure i have a good time? Is there anyone i can talk to at the lodge if we leave in the morning and get paired with a bad group? or are our pairings a take it or leave it deal? Thanks for your time and thanks for caring enough to hear us out!!

I have a novel idea, how about renting a cabin at "non all inclusive rates", then hire a guide dedicated to only your group, then you will not be thrown in to the guide pool or be stuck with riders that are not at your level.

Ever had great service for these excursions at an all inclusive any where else? Very rare imo..

S
Jan 24, 2009
Hey Mike,

I'm sorry...it was not my intention to ignore you!

I'm working with Rebecca and Derek around several topics and I fully intend to discuss the issue of pairing folks up on trips out.

I appreciate your continued patience and can assure you that all the key people will know about your concerns.

We always have a manager on duty in sno ops...either Rebecca or Derek are always gonna want to help out with anything you're concerned about.

Again...thanks for your input!

Have a great day!

Duncan

L

lookin4snow

Jan 10, 2008
Lodi, WI
Mike,

I think you need to modify your expectations a bit. TML does not know you or your riding style, and most folks from the Midwest goes out there and claim to be better riders than they really are. You could get hooked up with a group of very skilled mountain riders and get to awesome places and have a crappy day because of personality differences or clashes, stopping too much, going somewhere for lunch instead of eating in the backcountry (my personal pet peeve because it take away from 2 hours of riding), or many other things. TML cannot control these things. I’ve seen them all through the years. I have also waived off my guide for the day because I did not want to ride with the group that I had from the previous day – that was my choice. I also got paired with three guys last March from Michigan that claimed to be good powder riders and Motocross riders, only to get in the backcountry and they were horrible riders. We had a great day with them, actually 2 days, because our guide, Brent, took the time to take us to areas where he could tend to the novices himself and turn us free in some awesome stuff. Others may have had a bummer day with them – it’s all about being flexible and your frame of mind.

TML often will get overbooked. Think about it – they have 10 guides for the whole place. If each of the guides have 10 people, that is a maximum of 100 people they can guide a day. They have 28 lodge rooms and 54 cabins, so there could be over 200 people there. As much as Duncan would like to be able to give you the guarantee you are asking for, he can’t. Rebecca will do her best to work with the guides to get compatible people paired up, but problems are going to surface and you will have to roll with it.

Having said that, I have been a faithful customer for years and will continue to be one. I have had some bad days (like losing a day of riding because of having to call for a helicopter for a bunch of idiots) to snowmobiling nirvana. I recommend you go again, and if you are trying to do it on a budget, skip the package, get the cabin only, and pay for the guide on a daily basis.

M
Dec 1, 2007
Duncan....thanks you very much for taking the time to hear me out. That makes me that much more likely to give it one more shot this year. I look forward to your responses. on a positive not i would have to say that other than the pairing thing my trip went well. I liked the food and the staff was very friendly....heck one of my friends is now dating a girl that worked the front counter. she moved 1500 miles to live with him and they hit it off great. But that's another story. Lookinforsnow.... I wouldn't have been upset about the bad pairing expect that we had already ridden out there 3 days. they should have had a pretty good idea of my skill level good or bad. The group i got paired with on day 5 was beginners that had no intentions of going into the powder at all. I give them credit for being honest but then why did i get stuck with them when i CLEARLY stated i did want to go in the steep and deep? Again Thanks again Duncan for hearing me out and i look forward to you future posts!!

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
This is no intent to stick my nose in anyones business so please don't jump all over me as such. Just offering an outsiders perspective........

I have never hired a guide, so I don't speak from experience. My group has visited Togwotee for the last 3 years and had fantastic experiences. We have ventured all over the place- lava, brooks lake, pinnacles and jewels. any of the big places and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We are definitely DIY'ers.

For you guys that have been returning customers and hired guides that have taken you to all kinds of places.........did you not ever use GPS? Memory? If i did rent a guide it would be the first maiden visit to get a handle on the place. If i had been going there for a while I would not be hiring a guide any longer and getting adventurous.

Just some thoughts........ignore if you choose to.:D

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
as for the guide thing--yes I do Cary my GPS with at all times and I also have a great memory I have always been the group guide for many years been to cooke few times and I find it refreshing to just ride, not worry about were we are going how we are getting back, one the guys I goto TML with has been going to tog for 10plus years and he knows the area pretty good but still like to do the guide thing..

as for hiring a guide I believe that the package is a great deal Food,drinks,guide,cabin done deal JUST SHOW UP AND LET THE FUN BEGIN...

here is our jan trip last year.....
tog2.jpg

S

snowfreakmn

Nov 27, 2007
PS. I agree I've been riding there for years and could find my way to and back from most of the hunny holes. I consider our guide a GREAT friend and just like to ride together. We like to break off from the guide and show him we know where we are so he works harder to find new places too. It's just a bonus of being on the package.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
PS. I agree I've been riding there for years and could find my way to and back from most of the hunny holes. I consider our guide a GREAT friend and just like to ride together. We like to break off from the guide and show him we know where we are so he works harder to find new places too. It's just a bonus of being on the package.

oh ya I was going to say that!!I consider our guide a friend and like riding with him!!I learn alot...

and if someone can follow that track....GOOD LUCK:beer;:beer;:eek::D

Last edited:
D
Mike - Tog Lodge is not the only place to stay and get a guide.

I've Been going to Tog Lodge for over 7 years and never had a guide. Going thru the trees and finding a honey hole is like x-mas morning.

Thanks Duncan for listening and wanting to make happy customers. I'll be back a few times this year. DD

S
Jan 24, 2009
Sled Lineup

Hey Guys,

Below is a list I received from Rebecca regarding sled lineup yesterday.

"We will have Polaris 700 RMK’s & Polaris 800 Dragons, as well as Arctic Cat M-6’s & M-8’s.Trail sleds will be Yamaha Phazer MTX & Yamaha Venture Lite 2ups.

Guides will be on Cats and or Polaris."

Thanks for the kudos Mike! We will definitely work to make sure all aspects of everyone's stay is spot on.

Please keep the communication coming!

Have a great day!

Duncan

Dosey Wales

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2009
Big Whiskey,WY
question still ?????

guides?? ,yr. old m-6 and yr old rmk 700,or new 2010 m-8 or dragon 2010
800,please answer this????? without avoiding the subject

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Mike,

What we do is book our specific guides months in advance. PM and I will give you there emails as long as you tip them well :) I don't know if this is against Tog policy but it has worked VERY well for us in the past. The guide knows us, he matches our riding style, we ride awesome areas, and we have a blast. Now having said that once after they got an overnight dump we got stuck with a couple chain smoking mid westerns who where out of shape and had no idea how to ride. What was interesting is they put expert on there little form they fill out. Tog had no way of knowing that these guys had no mountain experience there experience was basically putting 30 trail miles on a day in Northern Wisconsin on XLT Triples stopping at 12 taverns. By lunch these guys where cashed and insisted they didn't want to ride anymore letting us go out and rip. They where totally cool with it. In fact they end up riding a couple more days, got better and we ran into them the next year as much better riders. We have always had a good experience there and they are almost always welcoming. Sure they have a few hiccups here and there but are always take care of it in the end.

Cheers
Shawn

S
Jan 24, 2009
Checking In

Hey Guys!

Dropping a line to check in and see how things are going.

Dosey - I spoke with our snow ops and there is as of yet no response to the question about our guide's sleds... but knowing our guides like I do, you could probably give them a unicycle and they could get you to the good stuff! :face-icon-small-hap

All else coming together as planned with more of the white stuff in the forecast!

Have a great day!

Duncan

Premium Features