• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck with dirt bikes

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’m sure this should go in the trucks and trailers but I added here thinking it might get a little more attention.
Who uses their deck in The summer for your dirt bikes? I’ve got 2 bikes I take on weekends camping. After loading the bikes into the back of the truck, its always a fun puzzle to get the rest of the gear in there after.
Additionally, the load and unload dance is sometimes unwelcome. I know I need to grow a set and ride up and coast backwords on the 6’ ramp.

I’m just thinking of leaving the deck on for the summer also. The whole underside is now available for other gear and will stay dry or clean.
Pro and cons if you’ve done it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I typically leave my sled deck on all summer because I bolt mine in, and don't feel like messing around to get it out ?. I don't dirtbike, but I have loaded street bikes on my old truck from time to time. It wasn't my favorite move but I could do it by myself and never dropped a bike, I imagine dirt bikes wouldn't be an issue. Only one way to know for certain!

IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4400.JPG

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I see an evening project this week.
I also have a winch on the deck so really it could be very simple if I want it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I see an evening project this week.
I also have a winch on the deck so really it could be very simple if I want it to be.

I would put a piece of osb in the center section of the ramp and just ride up and down. Only issue sometimes was grip

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I would put a piece of osb in the center section of the ramp and just ride up and down. Only issue sometimes was grip

I can see how this would be much more doable with the longer ramp. But back to growing a set!
Definitely going down would seem very easy, just turn the bike around and ride it.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I just got Marathon 7ft sled deck this season and was also thinkin keepin it in truck for dirtbikes, mine has a extendeable 11ft ramp thinkin of filling in center with something and adding some kind of traction. In not nervous goin up ramp it coming back down backwards ?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I just got Marathon 7ft sled deck this season and was also thinkin keepin it in truck for dirtbikes, mine has a extendeable 11ft ramp thinkin of filling in center with something and adding some kind of traction. In not nervous goin up ramp it coming back down backwards ?

Should be able to turn the bike on the deck and go down the ramp forward.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yes was thinkin that but might be tight with 2 bikes.
Thought might but ramp on the side ride up one side switch the ramp ride straight off other side.

Good point.
It would be more difficult with 2 up.
But this just gave me a another thought. I’ve got a truckboss and they have crossbars that can go on the sides available. So loading and unloading on the sides is an option.

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Same here, Marathon I have has same side option. The truckboss is a newer version of mine, yours bolts to the bed rails? Which I really like the truck boss deck.

Mine a 2018 extendeable sides 7ft Marathon , Im gonna build the slide on tubes for the sides the ramp would hook to, also a small ramp angled piece from top sides down to the deck sides so you dont have to pop front tire over the side rail rideing off other side.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I've done it but not a fan, mostly due to unload is awkward and it seems risky up there. I feel better about the bike being down in the bed just in the event something catastrophic happens. If there happened to be an accident, I could easily see my moto getting tossed onto the highway or worse into another vehicle. Maybe if I had some wheel chocks installed on the deck I'd feel better about it.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You could add strips of Super Glide up the center to fill in the holes and ad traction.

If you need to back down slowly walking beside the bike, just put it in gear (not running) and use the clutch as a brake in conjunction with the front brake..works good. With 1 bike I would definitely just turn it around up top and ride it down.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Did it for several summers. Now occasionally in transition months. The not a big deal at all.
Did w toyup and a 9 foot ramp and Marlon w 11 footer.

J
May 15, 2023
Belleville, ON
The best way to tie down a dirt bike is to use straps to avoid any damage or scratches to the bike. I chose to use a ratchet strap. I have the front tire in the front-left corner of the truck bed, so it can reduce the pressure on my bike’s suspension.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Fits 3 bikes.
37eb4f89759e6410a886683cd813a4df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Fits 3 bikes.
37eb4f89759e6410a886683cd813a4df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Nice….
I have a truckboss and fits great. I used it all last summer like you have here.
I decided to take it off this summer and use the bed.

Premium Features