• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brc500 review

E
Dec 19, 2007
I've been running a brc for over 100hrs now and wanted to give a review separate from my frame build thread.
Custom frame build link.
My brc is on the old pre 2016 motor so the starter system is problematic as always so I ran it for a long time with just the kick start. The motor without the estart is 61 pounds and the pipe is about 2 pounds heavier than a 300 so probably be about the same weight as a new 300 if your man enough to kick it. The estart won't turn it over with a 12v battery even with the compression release. I've since added the estart back on with a tiny 22v 4.5ah lipo from a rc car and it's starting pretty fast but it must be in neutral with the decompresion release on or it won't even turn over. If anything breaks or wears out on the starter I'll probably give up on it and just kick it.
The biggest down side is it still vibrates way more than a counter balanced 300 or 450. I was going to sell it but I re balanced the crank and changed the frame and it's not to bad now. If you run a stock frame and don't have sensitive hands it will probably be fine for most. Just don't expect it to be perfectly smooth.
The power is great for snow biking. I think the reason it's not been more popular is because most of the guys I've seen use them for a trail bike and install a recluse clutch. That's just dumb. Don't ever put this on the dirt unless you ride dunes. The low end is strong but it's still not going to go anywhere in deep snow unless you get into the mid range. Then it goes off big time with unstoppable torque. When I got it, it had a wide ratio so I had to use the clutch between the gappy gears but once you got the pv open it would never back down. Now it has the 5 speed sx gears and it's perfect power for deep snow.
In the hard spring snow it's annoying because it forces you to idle around in a big gear so it stays smooth on a load but it pulls almost anything at idle in the spring.
It uses a ton of fuel even with perfect jetting. It's been perfectly reliable other than a few oil leaks. It came with an aftermarket plastic clutch cover. Dumb idea.
Now that I made friends with it, I'll probably keep it for a while. All the wear items are dirt cheap and it never seems like it's working very hard so should last a long time.
I'm done riding for the year. We still have tons of snow but this elnino crap weather is miserably gloomy and drizzle every afternoon so I try to ride in the morning when it's sunny but the snow is just too hard and rough for my old body.
Here are some pics from a 100 mile adventure ride we did to a cabin a month ago when the snow was still smooth.
DSC_0692.JPG

DSC_0695.JPG

E
Dec 19, 2007
The power makes any 450 feel wimpy but the reality is the power is huge but narrow so be wise with your gearing choice don't be afraid to clutch into the next gear, it will pull it. The best 450 could probably hang with it if you keep it on the rev limiter but the feeling of the brc feels like it's not even trying very hard. It just goes through the deepest steepest stuff like a sled.
DSC_0678.JPG
DSC_0677.JPG

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the review Eric. Quick question unrelated. Is mirror lake plowed up to bald Mountain from your side yet? Does not look like it is plowed from the Utah side yet. Trying to get one or two more rides.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It was not plowed as of last Friday when I was there. I can't see any bare asphalt in the traffic cam as of tonight and I don't think it's melting very much right now. If we actually get a sunny afternoon I would be interested in going one more time but Sunshine hasn't been on the menu lately. We could ride it either way even if they plow we can unload on the east side of badly pretty easy.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
That’s what I’m thinking. We usually wait until it is plowed. Looking at the cameras, there is definitely quite a bit of snow still.

S
Oct 11, 2020
I love my BRC 500 but the problem is I live in michogan and I like the super tight trees up here and the power of a 450 is just so effortless. The 500 you gotta be on the pipe constantly. It would make more sense for me if I had places to ride more wide open. That being said it is very fun on the gas lines and power lines since it's all wide open
edb16ab9bf19da667f8b03fecfb1b426.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
Nice bike and nice choice putting it on a riot. Is your brc a gen 1? How dense is your snow usually? I find the brc really annoying going slow in harder dense snow because it encourages me to ride it at idle and it really doesn't have good throttle response at idle. even though it makes lots of power at idle the throttle response just doesn't impress me even with perfect jetting. Mine is the gen1 so the sub ports are open all the time which I'm sure is part of the problem. When the snow is deep though you don't even notice the bad throttle response cause I stay in the mid range just below where the pv opens. And things get wild quick when you twist it in the mid range. How is your estart working? Keep me posted if it ever ends up for sale.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Nice bike and nice choice putting it on a riot. Is your brc a gen 1? How dense is your snow usually? I find the brc really annoying going slow in harder dense snow because it encourages me to ride it at idle and it really doesn't have good throttle response at idle. even though it makes lots of power at idle the throttle response just doesn't impress me even with perfect jetting. Mine is the gen1 so the sub ports are open all the time which I'm sure is part of the problem. When the snow is deep though you don't even notice the bad throttle response cause I stay in the mid range just below where the pv opens. And things get wild quick when you twist it in the mid range. How is your estart working? Keep me posted if it ever ends up for sale.
There’s one for sale in Alaska.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I did end up going one more time this weekend. The sun was in full nuke mode but it wasn't enough to smooth out the crazy moon rock rain texture. It was a rough ride. One of our group never rode a snow bike and he thought it was the coolest thing ever... Wait till he tries it in the winter.

_20230626_181835.JPG

Premium Features