• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo 2017 Rev G4 Belt Issues Read This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'm not sure if this has been posted already but this should help a few people who want to make their sled run good. IMG_4418.jpg

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
60 bucks for a weight kit..who wouldnt pay that to get their rpm correct..

What self-respecting Manufacturer would not give the Customer a 20 dollar spring or weight to make there product run properly. I am a pretty easy going guy but this is starting to piss me of. I did work through the whole issue with my dealer and no joy BRP Does not play ball , they will sell me a sea level kit and have me pay for the install but it will not perform in deep snow at any altitude according to BRP.

I have no other issues at all just 200 RPM high at clicker one.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Not to ad fuel to the fire but you guys will never get a straight answer on problems with clutching or anything else from guys like Norana or Rasmussen. They are getting paid to say what they say, they are never going to admit there are problems with the machines. There is definitely a problem with clutching and I feel for you guys. It would be hard to know that you spent that much money for something and have to carry $600.00 in belts to make sure you make it back to the truck. Hopefully someone finds a fix soon. And as far as the guys saying to many RPM how do you expect a belt to last running a turbo. A turbo will run more RPM so you would be constantly blowing belts, RPM is not the problem.

Maybe you wont give a straight answer, but unless I can actually make it better, how am I suppose to comment. I am no clutching guru, never have I ever said there are not guys having issues and people are trying to figure it out and fix it, I know guys want a fix yesterday but unless they have a fix for everyone, how is that suppose to happen? By guessing? My machines have run perfectly, however I see some are not, however complaining about it on the internet, how does that help? Number one some guys who ride other brands are commenting and they don't even own the sled. Trust me BRP is working on this, however they don't sit on forums, would you if this forum was about you personally, and with some of the stuff said. The best way to help any issue is to bring it to your dealer, be honest, explain the situation, what is happening, and that is the way something get solved faster. Like I said in another forum, unless I can make it better, what is the use of me commenting, right now this is just a waste of space, and it is not getting guys out riding, if I could do that then I would be helping as mush as possible. There is no conspiracy, however I do feel for guys who are having issues and want them fixed so guys can have fun. Never have been dishonest, don't need to be. Like I say, comments we all make are a mirror, when you say someone will only say what they are paid to say, you are talking about what you know and may do, but since you don't know me, how can you make that statement about me? You may not like the answer, but it is the only one I got.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
What self-respecting Manufacturer would not give the Customer a 20 dollar spring or weight to make there product run properly. I am a pretty easy going guy but this is starting to piss me of. I did work through the whole issue with my dealer and no joy BRP Does not play ball , they will sell me a sea level kit and have me pay for the install but it will not perform in deep snow at any altitude according to BRP.

I have no other issues at all just 200 RPM high at clicker one.

If it does not fix the problem for everyone in all the different areas and for all the snow conditions, they how can they release it. If you got a spring that was rushed out the door and it did not work, how would that work for you. Proper fixes take time and they take work and also take resources....if you are not talking to your dealer then what is happening with yours is not been taken account for. Just because some one has posted a fix, how do we know that will work for everyone, if it does awesome, but if it does not, well that is no good.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dave,
Your comments are very welcome on the forums here... and, if complaints ARE aired here...AND with the dealer... this will help BRP understand the magnitude of the problem and the breadth of the customer base affected.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If it does not fix the problem for everyone in all the different areas and for all the snow conditions, they how can they release it. If you got a spring that was rushed out the door and it did not work, how would that work for you. Proper fixes take time and they take work and also take resources....if you are not talking to your dealer then what is happening with yours is not been taken account for. Just because some one has posted a fix, how do we know that will work for everyone, if it does awesome, but if it does not, well that is no good.

I have talked to my dealer they have talked to BRP .

I was the first one to give BRP a chance but no reasonable help has come forward from them. I know the Dealer and staff here pretty well , they have tried. Both the Service department ( they have a work order open on it ) and the Sales department forwarded me a bunch of info that they got from their Reps on it. So don't give me the Corporate line on this one.
The ball is in there court lets hope they play it.

M
Apr 24, 2016
Yukon
I have talked to my dealer they have talked to BRP .

I was the first one to give BRP a chance but no reasonable help has come forward from them. I know the Dealer and staff here pretty well , they have tried. Both the Service department ( they have a work order open on it ) and the Sales department forwarded me a bunch of info that they got from their Reps on it. So don't give me the Corporate line on this one.
The ball is in there court lets hope they play it.

I mentioned this to the sales department as well... I have one sled that revs around 200 rpm higher than the other at 4.2k elevation.

Maybe Skidoo wants to borrow them?

S
Mar 17, 2008
I think that is the big question. Why are some working and some not. Brp maybe having issues trying to find why before they step up. It could be too many changes in one model year and now it's biting them in the a!s.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
A little info from what a buddy has done with his G4.
Stock primary on clicker 2 was 82-8300 and hot clutches and belt. No failures but it was likely just a matter of time.
We made a change in the secondary helix and spring, left the primary alone and the result was still hot clutches and same RPM. The helix was done to load the bottom end a little more but had no effect on peak RPM or temps.
Added 6.1g to the primary. 81-8200 on clicker 2 and heat is gone. Belt is that nice green color and the coolest clutches I have ever felt after repeated full throttle pulls.
From what little messing around with the G4 we have done, it seems like they need weight...lots of weight or drop the primary spring down a bit.
He can still add a couple more grams, he is still on clicker 2.
Note that adding 6.1g only effected peak RPM by about 100 rpm on the same clicker! I would add weight until you kill it, then back off a gram or 2.
The sled is also much quicker, using my sled as a baseline for comparison. This was at about 4500ft elev., stock 165.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
great post brew..adding weight is so easy and weight kit is cheap..instead of ranting off at the dealer, why not give it a shot..2mins of work may save a bunch of belts

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What about decreasing the spring force rather than upping the weight... gives the secondary a bit more authority to downshift while still allowing the primary to squeeze the belt harder??

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What about decreasing the spring force rather than upping the weight... gives the secondary a bit more authority to downshift while still allowing the primary to squeeze the belt harder??

you then need to buy a tool set to change the spring, weight can be changed on the sled with no tools except a t -handle

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
This light, fluffy, bottomless snow we have been ALL receiving, just isn't loading the clutches like "normal" snow! Throw weight at the thing, and I think you will see belt issues diminish...

Ace

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Problem is doo has there heaviest pin in there right now and it is not enough. I have no doubt that some extra weight will fix the issues of RPM as well as Belt slippage. The softer spring should do the same thing with a lower engagement as well. I have a lighter spring coming and will get my dealer to install it asap. I aggree with Norona that the whole grumbling on the internet is of not much good for anyone. A handful of shims and springs to a few key dealers to try and report back could stopped these crazy keyboard charades dead in there tracks.

What would be interesting is to see what RPM different sleds
pull at different altitudes at what klicker setting.

How manny sleds are out there that pull 7900 rpm at clicker 2-3 or 4 and at what altitude. This may just give us a baseline for more than just our 3 sleds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features