• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Scammed? Stripped diamond drive plug. 2010 M8

B
Nov 22, 2016
Hey there. So this 2010 M8 I bought, as I find out, has stripped threads in the diamond drive fill plug bolt and thread. It looks like someone used locktite on the bolt than stripped the thread when trying to get it out. The bolt doesn't screw unto the diamond drive but rather sits in the hole and plugs it up. I didn't know about this when I bought the sled. I'm worried about water getting into the DD if the bolt gets loose while riding. Is this such a big deal and how can I fix this problem? Pictures attached. Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpeg

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
Chase the threads with a tap if that doesn't work buy a used cover pretty cheap on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
^^^this. also heat up the plug with a torch just to warm the lock tite on the plug take a pick or a wire brush and clean the thread. you can do the same with the cover and then wrap the plug with tef tape. you will always have water in the DD at the end of the year change the oil before you put it away for the season. ATF is a good choice for oil.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
common problem with dd cases, when over tightened. buy a new cover, or used on ebay, check to make sure the dd has the upper 2 row bearing update, new DD oil, and be done with it. Ski

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Common issue. Not a big deal.
I don't do a ton of miles so was once a year oil change on the DD. I just sealed the threads with rtv and screwed in hand tight. Never came out.
If your threads are worse that may not work.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You could also just get the next size bigger plug and re-tap the hole.

Premium Features