• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raptor Dual Ski - Ride Reports / Details

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Well it's 6:00am here in beautiful Steamboat CO. I've got the generator running and the heaters on full blast in the trailer warming things up to swap the front ends on the bikes. We had some great testing conditions yesterday. The snow was 3 day old champagne powder that was settled from 30" of fresh to 20". You could not ask for better snowbike conditions. The trail was groomed, but was ridden by snowmobiles a lot.

I want everyone to know that I have been riding TS product for 4 seasons now and have a lot of time on these setups. The bike is a 2015 Yamaha YZ450F with a KMS turbo and a 2016 TS ST. I installed this on the bike last March, so I have a lot of rides on this package.

Just to be fair I set up the front end to Raptors specs which is not the way CMX wants it set up with thier mods. I have a set of stock Raptor skis coming to test also.

The parking lot navigation was beautiful. No washing out, no falling down. Confidence in where you wanted to go.

When we hit the trail we were riding kind of slow breaking in the other new Yamaha YZ450FX. The dual skis were shifty, each one finding its own path. The ski that was high and on top of a snowmobile mound felt very soft on that leg with no true planted feeling at the 20mph area. It would drive the front end side to side trying to find even and level terrain. Not an improvement over the TS front end.

At high speed on the trail 40-60mph. the front end was stable and planted it felt good. I was able to drag pegs in the corners and it felt equal to the TS front end. I have never ridden with anyone that can ride a TS as fast on the trails as I do. I have a lot of time and I am picky about my setups. I carry a lot of ski pressure on my front ski. Some people don't even like to ride my setup because it is heavy on the front end. If you look at the followings pics you will see the lugs on the front is the TS track are heavily loaded compared to the way CMX wants their setup on their unit. The weight on the CMX is evenly dispersed over the entire track.

picture.php

817330f802e6cf2bf82ed3ee2243cdff.jpg

Off trail in the powder the X2 wanted to be on top of the snow a little better than the TS. This is a real advantage for early season riding, not diving in and hitting trees and rocks. The handling is not as confident as the TS front end in the powder. Nose down bombing into a tree well and a hard sharp turn out the front wants to push hard to go straight into the tree, where the TS would have carved hard and gone the direction it was pointed. The TS front end is the winner in the powder. I ride hard and fast in the trees and can not be confident in this front end on my first day of riding it. If you want to ride open out in the meadow the X2 is better.

I am installing the non mod skis today and will report my next ride. We are trying to justify a $1250 upgrade to a TS unit so I want to be fair and not judge on modified product that was purpose built of another setup.

We were also riding the CMXBK this same day and the way that kit responds to throttle input this front end may work really well with. I will put it on in a few days.

DO NOT take this first ride impression as gospel. There is an entire season of testing that has to be done to say if I like the Raptor X2 front end or not. It works really well, just not $1250 better than the TS front end on my one bike.

Last edited:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Raptor I have to say earns lots of respect in my book. I have never done business with them and never spoke to them prior to Tuesday.

I called them up and explained what I was up to and I wanted to try their factory skis. They were so helpful and we spoke at length about their product. I even told them I was leaving the shop and need them to ship the skis 2nd day air to my remote location and I would pay for it. I emailed them the address, but forgot to provide my UPS shipper #. They tried to reach out to me in an email to get my shipper #, but I was riding. They shipped them any way on their dime and I got them yesterday.

What a great company to deal with!!!!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
That is awesome kudos to Raptor for knowing how to run a business, seems like it's a bit of a lost art these days.

M5

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Here are my comments having a TS kit that I now mounted the X2 skis on:

Disadvantages of the X2 vs. Timbersled:

1. x2 felt heavier on the front end
2. X2 has more steering effort
3. X2 dances around following grooves on hard packed trail more than the timbersled.

Advantages of the X2 over the Timbersled:

1. Bites harder on the hard packed trails. Once you get confident with the dancing around and trust the front end, you can ride aggressive and it will not wash out.
2. Riding in 2-3 ft of powder, you can turn the X2 skis sharper without the front end washing out.
3. The skis are more stable and make starting/stopping/low speed maneuvers easier to balance.
4. they seem to float better.

I don't find much difference in side-hilling with either set of skis except the X2 has increased steering effort that can lead to slower reaction times.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
After installing the Raptor stock skis on the bike and going for a ride they did not improve the unstable roll on the trail at 20mph that dislike so much. It might not be so bad on the 11-15 square paddle tracks, but on the 2016 round paddle tracks there is at least 15deg of side to side lean from center that is uncomfortable. It feels loose from verticals to 15deg. It rolls so easy off center I can not make fine enough adjustment in my weight to keep from over correcting and going back to the other side.

The carbides on the stock skis are nice and grippy. The asphault performance is better.

In the deep it worked the same.

At high speed on the trail I like the CMX modded ski better. I almost tail whipped a few times on the Raptor skis. The CMX skis bite harder in the wooped out corners at high speed.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
After installing the Raptor stock skis on the bike and going for a ride they did not improve the unstable roll on the trail at 20mph that dislike so much. It might not be so bad on the 11-15 square paddle tracks, but on the 2016 round paddle tracks there is at least 15deg of side to side lean from center that is uncomfortable. It feels loose from verticals to 15deg. It rolls so easy off center I can not make fine enough adjustment in my weight to keep from over correcting and going back to the other side.

The carbides on the stock skis are nice and grippy. The asphault performance is better.

In the deep it worked the same.

At high speed on the trail I like the CMX modded ski better. I almost tail whipped a few times on the Raptor skis. The CMX skis bite harder in the wooped out corners at high speed.

You have any plans on trying the yeti ski out on these set ups? It would be great to hear your opinion on it as well

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Top Raptor clap fell down after 3 days riding.

Was lucky to have allen set with me, and got the clamp moved back up before ruining my forks.

Short of baling wire, I'm not sure what the fix is? But this is not a good sign.

If defense of Raptor, we didn't torque to spec. But I also work on stuff for a living, so not like I've never turned a wrench.

UPDATE after fixing. Tore it all down and found some rough edges from the machining, and the bolt holes had residual oil.

After cleaning up the machining some with emery cloth, and brake cleaning the bolt holes. Went back together with Red Loctite have got 7 days trouble free.

Thinking the residual oil is probably to blame, and it kept the Blue Loctite from working right?

So look the stuff over good before putting her on the bike.

phone jan 2016 188.jpg

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Top Raptor clap fell down after 3 days riding....
If defense of Raptor, we didn't torque to spec.

Curious if blue loctite was used (per the instructions)?
I would think that, even if you hadn't torqued to spec and were a bit low, loctite would prevent back out, so curious if that was used.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Curious if blue loctite was used (per the instructions)?
I would think that, even if you hadn't torqued to spec and were a bit low, loctite would prevent back out, so curious if that was used.

Yup, used the blue on every screw and bolt.

It was pretty cold for those days, with last day being the warmest, but really deep. Maybe cold enough to shrink the metal?

Was in a hurry to get it back together while riding, but don't remember the screws being backed out? Know I had to loosen the screws to get the clamp back over the forks, then tighten back down.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Yesterday I got to the shop to find the updates from Raptor have come in. I have yet to talk with them again after they sent me the factory style skis.

I love when a company does what they say they are going to do!!!!! I did not call or email them asking for my updates, they just took care of their customer.

Raptor, Thank you for being there for us.

I am headed up today to try them out.

04987c58cc35abbf7d33c5d4562236df.jpg

Toby Till
Custom Snow Moto
Henderson, Co. Ph: 720-263-7533. Email: toby@timbersledofcolorado.com
2016 Yamaha YZ450FX CMXBK 120, 2016 Yahama YZ450FX TS TSS 120, 2015 Yamaha YZ450F KMS Turbo TS ST121, 2015 Yamaha YZ450F Aerocharger Turbo TS TSS SX121, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS LT 137, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS ST 121, 2009 Husaberg FE570 KMS turbo TS LT137, 2010 Husaberg FX660 Boss NOS TS TSS LT137

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Was waiting for your " Yeti " Front end review?

So do you feel the cmx front end is worth the investment on an lt timbersled? I have to ride out 2 miles of rode to open country.. I find the timbersled ski very twitchy and likes to wash out on very steep side hills in spring conditions.

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Yesterday I got to the shop to find the updates from Raptor have come in. I have yet to talk with them again after they sent me the factory style skis.

I love when a company does what they say they are going to do!!!!! I did not call or email them asking for my updates, they just took care of their customer.

Raptor, Thank you for being there for us.

I am headed up today to try them out.

04987c58cc35abbf7d33c5d4562236df.jpg

Toby Till
Custom Snow Moto
Henderson, Co. Ph: 720-263-7533. Email: toby@timbersledofcolorado.com
2016 Yamaha YZ450FX CMXBK 120, 2016 Yahama YZ450FX TS TSS 120, 2015 Yamaha YZ450F KMS Turbo TS ST121, 2015 Yamaha YZ450F Aerocharger Turbo TS TSS SX121, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS LT 137, 2014 Yamaha WR450F TS ST 121, 2009 Husaberg FE570 KMS turbo TS LT137, 2010 Husaberg FX660 Boss NOS TS TSS LT137

Would like to know how the update kit worked out for you? Thanks

Premium Features