• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Odd electrical issue

T
Nov 3, 2022
Maine
2003 XC 500, 3,300 miles, original/no mods
This is a new sled to me so I don't really know the history but it starts and runs great. When I throttle it up to move, the headlight dims quite a bit but is good and bright at idle. This seems like the opposite of what normally happens in my experience. I haven't tested anything yet, any advice on where to start? Thanks!

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
It needs a low mileage replacement stator before it fails completely. Go to EBAY and buy the cleanest one you can find. You want to take the entire sled apart and replace all bearings that are replaceable, with that kind of mileage. The drive axle bearings are the most likely to be bad. Also, check for slop of the swing weights in the drive clutch, because they usually start hitting the clutch spider assembly about now. VES diaphragms get little tears in them around center hole so they need to be replaced if it has the original green ones. The VES gaskets need to be in pristine condition, because a tear can blow out a section of the gasket and the sled may have to be towed out. Carry extra gaskets, an extra reed, and a 1/2" tow rope. Never replace reeds because you can never get the little screws tight enough again. You will need a primary clutch puller, a magneto puller and a piston pin extractor/installer, as special tools. Order individual crankshaft bearings off of EBAY, or buy from Polaris if you can afford it.

T
Nov 3, 2022
Maine
Thanks for reply,
I will check these out. It seems that I can get a new stator for around $100, is it worth the piece of mind? This sled doesn't have exhaust valves so I don't have to worry about them. Are these like others that take out the speedometer cable pin when the drive axle bearing goes out?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
A quick check I would do before getting in to the stator replacement would be to do some testing with a voltmeter.
I was going to type out the procedure but better yet here are a couple of pages from a 2001 service manual. Your sled should be the same.
Also here is a wiring diagram which shows stator resistance values.

Attachments

• Polaris XC500 voltage testing.pdf
    333.9 KB · Views: 5
  • XC500 wiring diagram.pdf
    107.4 KB · Views: 2

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
$100 for a new stator is a great price. Just make sure the part number checks out and that it is not for the 500 or 600 engine.

T
Nov 3, 2022
Maine
I did some testing and the yellow to brown resistance showed 1.0 ohms and it looks like it should be 0.15 ohms according to the wiring diagram. I have a stator on the way.

T
Nov 3, 2022
Maine
Finally replying to this. I tested

I am finally getting around to replying. I tested the stator and thought it was bad but I made a mistake in testing it but realized this after replacing it. I replaced the voltage regulator as well before running it. Based on this, my guess is it was the regulator all along.

Premium Features