• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New scratchers - auto deploying!

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Went for a short ride yesterday on the 24 9R. Just cruised down a snowy road for about 10mi and did one brief/easy sidehill. Both scratchers came down off the plastic rail pads (stored position) into scratching position on their own. My bud also has a 24 and had the same experience.

The only way I can see of keeping them up with the stock situation is by putting them over the top of the rail above, like pictured here.

And, maybe use the lower plastic pad position for auto deploying?

:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO::poop:

IMG_0561.jpeg

Last edited:

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Another stop ride coming?! ha

Did you have a 9R previously? If not thoughts so far? I know 10 miles ain’t much.

I have a 9R this year. No snow yet where I’m at and forecast is not looking good.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Another stop ride coming?! ha
LOL
Did you have a 9R previously? If not thoughts so far? I know 10 miles ain’t much.
Yes. Same 9R 165 Pro as I got last year. It pulls hard and the low end is incredible. Feels about the same... although I noticed it wasn't over revving at lower elevation (7500ft) off the bat like I experienced last year. Clutch springs/helix/weights are the same, so maybe a mapping change? Could be belt difference? Saw 8450 as my max RPM yesterday on a short pull well warmed up... whereas I saw 8550/8600 a couple times last year at a similar elevation first day out.
I have a 9R this year. No snow yet where I’m at and forecast is not looking good.
Patience...

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Nowadays I won't put the scratchers on until absolutely needed, for us that usually mean in the spring.
I've broken several sets of scratchers on both Polaris sleds and BRPs on days I didn't used or needed them. Tree stumps are ideal for peeling protruding scratcher parts of the rails when sidehilling even if they are hooked up on the parking pegs/rails.

So, take them off until you need them is my advice.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
what about just taking the pad off? i know it is to protect the rail.
my new sled mysteriously had one missing and it is still on backorder 🤦🏼

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Doesn't look like a very good design; I can see how it would self-deploy. They should have made that rail pad taller and maybe added a groove for the scratcher to drop into. Probably the most important thing is for the scratcher be angled upward as you look back down the rail when it's stowed; it looks like it'd be parallel to the track and maybe even angled downward as is, and it's really easy to see snow pushing up on the scratcher. Obviously, the solution is to stow the scratcher as you've done in that picture and ditch the plastic piece that'll never do anybody a bit of good. Or maybe you could move that to the top of the rail?

C
Dec 14, 2020
It's clearly a feature to drop them whenever you go off the trail to hit some powder and cool the sled. They're just trying to help you stay cool!

The engineers are doing their best, and you're complaining about their trick new feature!

In all reality, since you can back up with these, I'd leave them down until they hit the sled deck or trailer. Especially on a slash it can't hurt to have the extra cooling all the time.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Once you’re in the goods I always want my scratchers back in the stowed position. Last thing I want is the sled rolling over on me with the scratchers in the down position and spearing me. This will be the next stop ride.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Once you’re in the goods I always want my scratchers back in the stowed position. Last thing I want is the sled rolling over on me with the scratchers in the down position and spearing me. This will be the next stop ride.
It's probably already it the works. If anyone has their new sled at the dealer ready to go. They better go pick it up before they can't for another 6 weeks wile Polaris tries to figure out some stupid fix.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Kinda hard to tell from the op's pic but it looks like the scratcher isn't supposed to sit on the shelf but rather hook over the top, inside edge. Is that not the case?
All I did is take my sled from the dealership and ride it. The scratchers were on the plastic originally.

Leaving the scratchers in a down position makes them vulnerable to breakage on firm snow and other obstacles. I want them stored for actual riding when it's deep and cooling is a non issue.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Kinda hard to tell from the op's pic but it looks like the scratcher isn't supposed to sit on the shelf but rather hook over the top, inside edge. Is that not the case?

No that is not the case. The shelf is new and is there to keep your rails from chipping.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
No that is not the case. The shelf is new and is there to keep your rails from chipping.
I get what the shelf is for. Just seems ridiculous to expect the scratcher to stay on top of it. If you can't hook it around, could you drill a shallow divit or thru hole in the shelf for something the scratcher can grab onto?

C
Dec 14, 2020

I used to worry about that. The number of times I've gotten off the sled when my scratchers were still down and haven't been stabbed yet I think it's basically a non-issue.

I do wear my tether religiously, as I've seen a couple guys shreded preety good from their track that tried to rip their legs off. That is what concerns me.

C
Dec 14, 2020
All I did is take my sled from the dealership and ride it. The scratchers were on the plastic originally.

Leaving the scratchers in a down position makes them vulnerable to breakage on firm snow and other obstacles. I want them stored for actual riding when it's deep and cooling is a non issue.

The scratchers are to break up the firm snow and toss it on the skid.

It's almost like sleds are so good some of you just have to make up petty things to get worried about. Focus on the P22 grenade and forget the self deploying scratchers.

Premium Features