• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Lid!!! plus a couple questions

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well after much thought, research and trying on a bunch of helmets, I finally decided on a new lid. I ended up with a Troy Lee Designs SE3 with the piston bone graphics. First off the fit of the helmet is awesome and it’s really light weight. The finish and the graphics are unbelievable and it comes with extra matching visor and helmet bag.

The yellow and chrome absolutely pop in the sun and the yellow actually has some metallic in it as well. It also came with a really nice helmet bag that has two storage pouches on the outside and a hidden pocket on the inside for your extra visor. The lining of the helmet bag is really soft and it also has venting so it airs out.

Safety wise is also has quick detach cheek pads. The cheek pads can be removed in case the rider sustains a head, neck or back injury. You simply pull the red tabs on each side and they come right out. this way the helmet can be removed without pulling on the head and neck. Pretty slick deal, that I hope I never have to use!

I cut and fitted some closed cell foam into the front vents and retro fitted an HJC universal breath box for those cold days. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to give it a true test until next winter.

For those of you with TLD helmets, I’ve got a couple questions.
Anyone recommend a pair of goggles that match up and seal good on the TLD helmets. I have several Scott’s now but I thought about checking around to see if I could get a better fit with something else.

As far as balaclavas, anyone try the no fog or fog evader style or is everyone just using standard balaclavas? Just looking for more ideas to alleviate fogging.

Lastly, anyone use the winter liner that is available and is it worth it

Cannot forget a few pics,

DSC_0179-1.jpg DSC_0178.jpg DSC_0187.jpg

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
Have been riding Troy Lee Helmets for about 5 years. Have a SE1 and SE2. Looking at getting a SE3 for next year. I have used oakleys, scotts 89s and voltages, pro-vue, spys, castle, dragons, Fox crowbars, and 509 sisters. 509s work well for me BUT that is because I have glasses and really like the fan in them otherwise I think I would ride spys, spys seem to fit better in the helmet and seal it up really nice.

I also made a breath box for my SE2 out of one for a CLX4 HJC helmet. It worked but it was just a pain in the ***. I now use a No Fog Evader with a Klim Balaclava, really works good for the cold days and on warm days I just use the Klim Balaclava without the No Fog.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Great info, I've been looking at the Klim balaclavas as they seem really nice and alot of guys recommend them. Ever try one of those balaclavas with the fog evader build right in. Something like this, http://www.amazon.com/RV-OUTSIDE-EVADER-CLAVA-FOGEVDRCMBOPAK/dp/B0041QBNC8

Have been riding Troy Lee Helmets for about 5 years. Have a SE1 and SE2. Looking at getting a SE3 for next year. I have used oakleys, scotts 89s and voltages, pro-vue, spys, castle, dragons, Fox crowbars, and 509 sisters. 509s work well for me BUT that is because I have glasses and really like the fan in them otherwise I think I would ride spys, spys seem to fit better in the helmet and seal it up really nice.

I also made a breath box for my SE2 out of one for a CLX4 HJC helmet. It worked but it was just a pain in the ***. I now use a No Fog Evader with a Klim Balaclava, really works good for the cold days and on warm days I just use the Klim Balaclava without the No Fog.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Prior Lake, MN
Another vote for SPY!! The Zed goggle they make is by far the best out there for any guy on the trail. I had the 509's with the fan and I think the Zed goggle flows more air than the fan does. However they will not fit a pair of glasses so if you have to go that route your sol. The other thing that I really noticed about the Zed goggle is that they have much larger view pane than any other goggle I have tried.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Another vote for SPY!! The Zed goggle they make is by far the best out there for any guy on the trail. I had the 509's with the fan and I think the Zed goggle flows more air than the fan does. However they will not fit a pair of glasses so if you have to go that route your sol. The other thing that I really noticed about the Zed goggle is that they have much larger view pane than any other goggle I have tried.

Good to know, thanks!

Premium Features