• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some khaos rear suspension help.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
My buddy is running a 23 khaos boost with the 165 2.75" we are heading out this weekend and could use some pointers to tame his trenching issues. We were in IP a few weeks ago in great snow and he was buried alot.
I'm running a 24 summit 850 turbo with a 165 3" and we could climb side by side and his was trenching substantially worse than mine, in some cases like a foot deeper. He is probably 230 geared up. All his settings are completely stock from the factory yet.

Thanks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet is a bunch on how he is riding it. That sleds climbs up on snow great. Track doesn't hook up like doo and the doo runs better. If he isn't on gas soon enough or almost maxed out it is going to dig in. It won't climb with turbo r with that track. Stiffen rear track shock if transferring too much and loosen fts but i never thought that package was rowdy to start with but I'm 180.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
My bet is a bunch on how he is riding it. That sleds climbs up on snow great. Track doesn't hook up like doo and the doo runs better. If he isn't on gas soon enough or almost maxed out it is going to dig in. It won't climb with turbo r with that track. Stiffen rear track shock if transferring too much and loosen fts but i never thought that package was rowdy to start with but I'm 180.
It very well could be how's he's riding it. I just really noticed it in one area where we dropped down in a creek bottom and he got stuck going up where I was able to go up it with ease right beside him and his trench was easily a foot or better deeper and wherever he was stuck i could get to him with ease. I just feel like some minor adjustments would be huge for it. One thing I did notice is that it's not a wheelie machine like everyone says that the khaos are, It will wheelie, but basically only on a steeper climb.

I will have him try the stiffer rear and softer front. Thanks for your input.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
Did you already make sure suspension is at factory settings? Broken limiter strap?
I don't believe so, ill have him look it all over tomorrow though. Do you have any idea on the factory specs?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It's not a wheelie machine like i was thinking with 2.75. I just didn’t know about 230 pounds. I wouldn't loosen fts or tighten rear after what you told me. I would tighten fts and leave rts softer. He has no where near the traction you have without a track change.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Also technique and timing is key coming up out of ravines. His approach, momentum, or timing is likely more of a trenching issue.
Our group gets in a bad bottom, there’s basically that guy that will always get out, and that other guy that never will…..
Creeks are also not known for snow consistency, you may have caught settled snow while he trenched through blow snow.

I’m bigger than him by plenty…
Weight trenches.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
I'm probably 230 all geared up. There is no question the Khaos boost is going to trench a lot more than a Pro or non boost khaos, especially at our weights. Here is what you need to do...

1) Get a stiffer rear track shock spring. You need a 210. You've got a 180 (likely). You may even need a stiffer one than 210. I'm guessing you want to ride this weekend, so in that case, tighten up your preload to 10.5" total spring length and go all in on your compression adjustment.
2) Suck the limiter in 1/2". This helps a lot. Consider going to softer compression settings on your FTS.
3) Make sure you get forward on the sled when riding and also be nuanced with your throttle delivery. If you hammer down and pull back on the bars, you are gonna trench. Learn to let off a teeny bit for a split second to let the sled crawl on top of the snow.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The Khaos has high speed and low speed dampening. Besides spring tension, on mine I find the low speed (black knob) on the front skid shock will make the sled ride higher or lower on the front of the skid. Lots of dampening and it rides high and low dampening it rides lower. When set high the ride is rigid and the sled will wheelie and trench more. BUT the steering will be lighter. It is best to set up the spring tensions with little to no dampening and then add dampening for shock control. There is a balance you need to find between heavy and light steering and wheelie or being planted. As other have said, soft in the front and stiff in the rear can help keep the track more parralel to the snow and trenching is reduced.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
Quick update - Jack's revalve is much improved over stock. Maybe not for those looking for a soft setup, but if you ride harder and looking for support, its awesome.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
To add for those interested: I went down the Fox QS3 air path, took 3/4" out of the limiter and it's awesome. Perfect amount of ski lift, more planted and that sweet air feeling (especially in the front) I haven't had since years back when I had my last set of Fox shocks.

Premium Features