• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My New Mirage

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
MUCH better than plywood. Mine is original from '07 and I do not have any ski guides on the deck (I do the ramps), and it's still in excellent condition. Although I think mine was called Polybead, maybe this new stuff is even better??

NuPoly

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
To elaborate a little on what Hoov is likely experiencing.

In the Central Oregon area they use crushed red lava rock on snowy roads, the main form of traction control. They typically dump this stuff in large quantities. Unlike other rock used for this purpose, the lava rock crushes down to smaller pieces, and a super fine red dust. That red dust gets everywhere, making a huge mess, and is especially bad once the roads clear up. It is not uncommon to be driving to/from the mountain at 65 MPH with all of this dust suspended in the air and being kicked up by the other 1,000 cars going to/from the ski area and sno-parks. To a lot of people, myself included, this dust is a huge annoyance and something you fight all winter long. Once it gets on stuff, it makes its way everywhere and is really abrasive. If you are not careful and wipe a side panel, speedometer, headlight, tunnel top, etc. you get a bunch of small scratches. Some people don't care, a lot do.

While I like the value Mirage trailers provide, this is disappointing. I have used a number of trailers, and have never had a problem with dust being ingested into the interior of the trailer - with or without vents.

I would also note that every new Mirage I have been around experiences some kind of "break-in issues", including very recent high-end custom-built trailers. The most common in my experience are electrical issues with grounding or connections to some feature.

I would hope this "dusting" is an isolated incident related to seals or something, but I feel Hoovs pain and I would not keep a trailer that did this either.

Hopefully their quality control and build practices continue to improve over time, but as others have stated I don't think they are there yet. If you want a bomb-proof trailer that you don't have to worry about, this may not be the best option. However, if you don't mind doing some work they may be a good value. YMMV

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
We snowmobilers are a funny breed for sure.

Do we ride older unreliable sleds? or Off brand knock offs?
No. You rarely see even a 5 year old sled anywhere any more.

Do we wear cheap clothing?
No. Everything is high quality, reputable name brand gear.

Towing vehicles? All loaded luxury rides. Certainly more than needed.

Yet the parking lots are full of mid-grade & low grade haulers.

I would rather have a 5 year old Aluma, Featherlite or Rance over any of the brand new off brand trailers that fill the parking lots.

You get what you pay for & you pay for what you get.
It hurts to pay too much, but it is far worse to pay too little.

57128404.jpg

$70,000 truck
$30,0000 trailer and accessories
4 sleds at $15,000 a piece with accessories
$6000 in gear

plus with av gas for the fuel to fly out and back 400 miles.

I need a cheaper hobby. Thanks for making me think about this. No I need to drink to forget. :llama:

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ive owned my mirage since 06 when they started. I havent had a minutes trouble with it!!!! It has quite a few factory upgrades when it was ordered. It tows great still looks great and I get a lot of compliments when im out with it. Tows a pair of rzr xp 1000's in the summer months and Ive hauled as much as 3 sleds and a rzr xp at once. It has been all over the western US multiple times, Ive slept in it many nights. Im not brand loyal to trailers ive seen good and bad with all but my experience is I would buy another mirage in a second!

My buddies Charmac had a cracked axle years ago, called them and they told him to "just go weld it up" I had heard that they were having axle cracking issues and told him to check it... His was one that was cracked out and he got ZERO help from Charmac!!!

My Newman sled bed I bought in 2001 and they had an axle recall, guess what??? It had a brand new replacement axle under it that week! I have never personally heard of and actual problem with the axle but they stepped up and fixed all known potential issues! Pretty good if you ask me!

Last edited:
Premium Features