• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn top xfr 126

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Got to spend a little bit of time the other day on my new Mtn. Top kit. The snow was very wet and heavy, basically crappy spring conditions. The kit handles very well. It's easy to flick back and forth to make fast direction changes. I started out with the suspension set pretty stiff, but quickly softened up the rear shock to get more wheelie ability because of the heavy, wet snow. The track hooks up insanely good, but again, crap snow. It seems roll out nicely too. I think it's going to be a blast in some good snow.

IMG_20231211_152806015_HDR.jpg IMG_20231211_151803190_HDR.jpg

E
Dec 19, 2007
Just curious what was the issue with why you didn't like the snow? Was the big paddles part of the problem? Heavy steering ski? Just by looking at the pictures I personally wouldn't mind riding in snow like that this time of year there is usually no base here and the ski goes under....

I have a couple rides on mine now, it hasn't been the typical dry early season snow - but man I'm impressed with this track. Kind of having to re-think line choices as it pulls lines that I normally wouldn't consider. Mine is set up to be pretty light on the ski so it gets a bit squirrely when it's really steep, but you can turn to the side and do a quick up-hill hopover type move and keep going. I haven't had to turn down yet.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
I have a couple rides on mine now, it hasn't been the typical dry early season snow - but man I'm impressed with this track. Kind of having to re-think line choices as it pulls lines that I normally wouldn't consider. Mine is set up to be pretty light on the ski so it gets a bit squirrely when it's really steep, but you can turn to the side and do a quick up-hill hopover type move and keep going. I haven't had to turn down yet.
Videos... we need more videos. 😁 I wish I had the coin. Allen's shop is 20 minutes from me.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
having a blast on the new kit. Got the suspension dial in and it rides awesome. This thing hooks up and climbs like a mtn. goat too. So far, I'm very happy with this kit. Can't wait to get it in some deep pow, hopefully later this week.

thumbnail_IMG_20240107_144350636_HDR.jpg

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
having a blast on the new kit. Got the suspension dial in and it rides awesome. This thing hooks up and climbs like a mtn. goat too. So far, I'm very happy with this kit. Can't wait to get it in some deep pow, hopefully later this week.
Sounds awesome! I'm jonesing to finally get to ride my mtn top in a couple weeks, can hardly wait.
What suspension settings did you end up with that worked so well? Much deviation from the manual?

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Sounds awesome! I'm jonesing to finally get to ride my mtn top in a couple weeks, can hardly wait.
What suspension settings did you end up with that worked so well? Much deviation from the manual?
It's going to be different for everybody. I'm 240lbs before riding gear/food/water etc. Then add in gas/tools etc. I started with the suggested specs on the Mtn. Top website and went from there. Ended up lighter on the rear shock and stiffer on the front shock and stiffer on the upper shock. Just have to ride and play around with the pressures. They are easy to adjust in the field.

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
It's going to be different for everybody. I'm 240lbs before riding gear/food/water etc. Then add in gas/tools etc. I started with the suggested specs on the Mtn. Top website and went from there. Ended up lighter on the rear shock and stiffer on the front shock and stiffer on the upper shock. Just have to ride and play around with the pressures. They are easy to adjust in the field.
Thanks for the reply norsepeak. I'm about 50# lighter so yah, the setup will be a bit different but the general setup of a little lighter in the rear probably still stands.
The 10 day forecast shows over 2.5ft coming to my area !!

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
This is what we ended up with last year

Live Front End/trenches more in powder

150 frame
80 front skid
Change rear skid to 60

Deep powder less lively

Same as above rear 80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths

150 frame
80 front skid
Change rear skid to 60

Deep powder less lively

Same as above rear 80

Excellent! Nice to get intel from you guys that already have time on the mtn top.
I'll start off with 150/80/80 (same as in manual) then start dropping the RTS for the fun factor...
Has anyone tried pulling in the limiter strap for steep climbing yet?

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
mind leting us know the suspension changes you made? I had mine out for first time, track and traction is unreal but need to get handling better, felt a little heavy on the front.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
I guess i should have looked at following posts, will try a little stiffer in front and softer in rear,

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Soft in the rear pops the front there is a stark difference between my two setting just doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta

150 frame
80 front skid
Change rear skid to 60

Deep powder less lively

Same as above rear 80

Was this with the 129 x2.5? If so I think with the changes to the kit this year its a new Set of parameters for the shocks.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Excellent! Nice to get intel from you guys that already have time on the mtn top.
I'll start off with 150/80/80 (same as in manual) then start dropping the RTS for the fun factor...
I rode the other day in about a foot of powder on top of about 3 feet of setup snow. I was riding with my buddy on a KTM 450 with Aro 3. We got to a very steep climb and lined up side by side. We took off together and he had to turn out about 1/3 of the way up and I kept pulling hard straight up the hill packing the ski about a foot off the snow the whole way. The thing just hooks up and goes and doesn't stop!!! I climbed as far as I possibly could on that climb and I was WAY higher than my buddy. I'm very happy with my suspension setting for all around riding. I climbs awesome, rides great and handles great. We've got boat loads of powder now, so I'll see how it does tomorrow.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I lifted my strap up 1 hole in December, we had some deep bottomless snow with no base yet. It made a big difference in control and climbing. Now that we have more normal snow conditions here with some base and I am more used to the kit I am going to drop it back down.
This kit is a beast and with the strap up it is very playful. Have 15 hours on it so far.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Was this with the 129 x2.5? If so I think with the changes to the kit this year its a new Set of parameters for the shocks.

Correct .. I have the new set up this year just need the snow so I don’t smash it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
I had actually snow checked an aro3 but had some lousy customer service (wouldn't return several calls) after they got my down payment (imagine that!) then pulled my order and got my $$ back.
Went and picked up the new mtn top and am soooo glad things worked out the way they did.
Not saying there's anything wrong with the aro, I'm sure they're great , just happy to have the mtn top. The reports coming in sound awesome!

Premium Features