• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTN TOP rear brake

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
I see a lot of guys going from the hand brake to a foot brake. I searched but didn't find any info on the parts and procedure.
I'm assuming that I would use the bike master cylinder and pedal and the MTN TOP caliper so all I would need is a brake line with the proper ends.
Anyone done this?

M
Jan 14, 2004
Check out Cody Matechuk on Youtube, he has bike set up vids where he does it. You will need a short custom brake line and the stock pedal/reservoir. Pretty simple.

M5

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
Check out Cody Matechuk on Youtube, he has bike set up vids where he does it. You will need a short custom brake line and the stock pedal/reservoir. Pretty simple.

M5
Thanks M5, I'll check his vid out. Being a dirtbiker for about all my life, the rear brake on the bars is weird and where the front brake is supposed to be, though I could get used to it after a while I'm thinking.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Have you really seen LOTS of people run the rear pedal? I haven't seen anyone but I tried it myself when I first got into the sport and never went back. Having a missing front brake is WAY scarier than a missing back brake. The back pedal would get all iced up and hard to find on deep days with big boots. I also like being able to use the hand brake while standing beside the bike when loading or descending hard enduro lines. I'm pretty sure I used my stock rear hose though so if you want to try it it's free.

Sno-wanker

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Sawtooths
You make some good points eric. This will be my first time snowbiking so haven't tried either yet.
The "lots of guys" are all on utube, haha so nothing first hand.
Like I said, it just seems more natural coming from dirt bikes to have it at the foot, but icing and getting your foot blown off in the deep when you need it along with ramp loading is a concern.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
You will be happy with the handbrake. It only takes a few minutes to get used to. Many, if not, most of us have also been dirt biking our entire lives. Handbrake has many advantages over the footbrake. Occasionally you might find yourself sliding out of control on a steep downhill through trees looking for the foot brake but it won’t really matter because you’ll already have the handbrake locked up. Then you’ll probably laugh.
Slippery spring conditions. It’s pretty nice to be able to put your foot down making a downhill right hand corner on snotty snow. Think about a super tight downhill steep, tight, right hand switchback on dirt. Foot brake is definitely a disadvantage there. East Coast trails might be a different story but obviously that is not where you ride. I assume you will be riding in conditions and terrain like us here in Utah.

Premium Features