• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Electrical Issues. Need Help

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Well, I'm back again, needing help with my 2008 M1000 162". I have a weird electrical glitch that i need help tracking down. Here are my symptoms:

• Old speedometer/gauge (non snowpro) was on the fritz w/ lots of moisture in it so I ordered a new up to date one. Put it on and started the sled only to find its going bananas too and working intermittently, just like the old one
  • Low beam headlights do not work.. High beams work fine, but the low beam/running lights don't work. No idea on the tail light because I don't have one
  • Has a funny idle problem. I thought i had the idle dialed in a 1900-2000 rpm where its happy and not shaking by using the set screw adjuster. However, when I go ride and it gets hot and I stop and let it idle, it will hang out around 2000-3000 rpms for about 5-10 seconds, then it will go to my set point 1800-2000 rpm, and then after 20-30 seconds or more, it will kick down to 1350-1550 and do its earth shaking dance. I never does it for me in the lot or at home, its only when I'm riding it and its just been run hard

I'm sure some of you will say its a bad ground, however, after installing the brand new engine last week, I took it to the dealer to check everything out (especially the grounds) and they said it all looked good. Now I guess I'm leaning towards a CCU going bad? The sled runs fine other than the above mentioned problems. Anyone else experience this? I really got a lemon of a sled, but I'm bound and determined to make it a winner! Help me please :face-icon-small-hap

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Not sure about the speedo problem but here is a silly question for the lights. Have you checked the bulbs?? Probably a silly question but sometimes it's too easy to overlook the simple things.

As for the idle issue... mine does the same thing. Always has and if I remember correctly my M8 did too. Just not the vibration! Lol

Good luck,
Boone

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
short

gauges freaking out ,short in wiring pulling power from gauge. is your gauge problem rpm senseative ,does it steady out as you rev up ,more power.

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
So Its not the CCU. I tried a friends on his fully functioning 07 M1000 and it didn't make any difference. I took some a pic of the speedo w/ it idling in my garage. it would jump all over the place, but the digital readout never read the same.. i would jump around too.

M1000 Goofy Speedo.jpg

So now where do I search? How can i track this little gremlin down?

I like the brake wire idea, but all i can see is two ends hanging down by the brake. They look safe and don't look like they would be shorting out on anything.

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
gauges freaking out ,short in wiring pulling power from gauge. is your gauge problem rpm senseative ,does it steady out as you rev up ,more power.

I'm not real sure if its RPM sensitive. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it glitches out. I remember being on full throttle a number of times trying to look at my track speed and it just read zero.

Could this be causing it to kick down to a low idle also? Are these problems related?

Last edited:
D

ddbigcat

Nov 26, 2007
alberta
borrow your buddys hood and plug it in. if the lights and gauge still act up then it is not in your hood harrness. if i had to make a bet i would say it is your main wire harrness.08s, whether they were 800s or 1000s seem to be prone to this once in a while. you could spend all day tearing in to it and find nothing wrong. install new harrness and its good to go.thats what i would look into if the other hood doesnt change anything. good luck

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
eliminate one electrical circuit at a time, unplug every thing to the bars, then brake lights, etc. if that doesnt work it almost has to be a ground or ecu.
also one more question being its an 08 does it have the 09 reflash? maybe it had an error during the flash and needs to be redone.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
you will have to plug in the main harness to bars to kill engine again

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
yes it has the 09 reflash. Have you ever heard of a flash going wrong?

I'll try those other suggestions and get to you guys. Thanks for the ideas!

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
yes it has the 09 reflash. Have you ever heard of a flash going wrong?

I'll try those other suggestions and get to you guys. Thanks for the ideas!

Neither have I but its just a thought, or a bad ecu in general

Premium Features