• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park / West Yellowstone Riding Conditions for 2023-2024

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Lesson learned: look up the grooming schedule before deciding where to ride.

@christopher, I don't know how you do it (assuming you take the same route), but the trail from Big Springs to N Black Canyon was pretty brutal and hadn't been groomed in a week.

We had no energy left once we got to places that looked interesting to explore off-trail, especially with newer riders in super deep snow. If only we were good enough to take the power line cut, it would save a ton of time & energy. Looks pretty darn steep in spots!

It sounds like Two Tops and Reas Pass, among others, get groomed daily, for the most part. I will plan better next time, but it was good to get back out on the sled after nearly a year, see a bit of the area, and get my brother-in-law some experience (Sat & Sun were his 2nd and 3rd rides ever).

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Just got back from West/IP. Some trails pretty good. Many nearly unrideable unless you like standing and pounding over moguls for miles. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is this Idaho grooming site accurate??? Or are they that lax on reporting??

TRAILGROOMED
Baker Draw03/01/24
Big Springs Loop02/14/24
Black Canyon02/27/24
Cave Falls02/11/24– Idaho’s own corner of Yellowstone National Park
Chick Creek02/21/24
Eccles02/23/24
Fish Creek, Upper03/01/24
Fish Creek, Lower02/20/24
Flagg Ranch
Green Canyon02/06/24
Henry’s Lake Flat02/29/24
Highway 47
Mesa Falls Scenic Byway
02/24/24You cannot drive to Mesa Falls in a vehicle via Bear Gulch!
Island Park Business Loop03/01/24Island park village to last chance
Lakeside02/29/24
Lower Centennial02/06/24
Meadow Creek03/01/24
Railroad02/27/24
Rea’s Pass03/01/24
Robinson Creek02/20/24
Sawtelle02/22/24
Stamps Meadows02/29/24
Two Top/Twin Creek03/01/24
Warm River02/23/24
Warm River Campground02/23/24

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Where is the edit button to add info to a post???? Is Idaho not reporting grooming, or are there really many trails that haven't seen a groomer for weeks??

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
Where is the edit button to add info to a post???? Is Idaho not reporting grooming, or are there really many trails that haven't seen a groomer for weeks??
Should be in the lower left hand corner of your post, like this:

1709596324328.png

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ABOUT GROOMING IN ISLAND PARK.
This is a MAJOR FREAKING ISSUE right now.
This season has seen some of the WORST GROOMING most people remember.
Tonight was supposed to be a major open to the public meeting on the state of grooming in IP.
Meeting was canceled.
But one of the people who is in the know, told me this.

The challenge, we have been told, has been out of their control.
Just an FYI, the December 2023 delivery date for the new groomer is now rumored to be April, 2024.
Or, why seriously needed tracks, for a more experienced groomer, have been out of stock for a year.
One might say a manufacturer really let us down.
So, instead of having 5 groomers on the ground nightly, Fremont has been limited to working with 3. Poorly maintained or under equipped?

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
ABOUT GROOMING IN ISLAND PARK.
This is a MAJOR FREAKING ISSUE right now.
This season has seen some of the WORST GROOMING most people remember.
Tonight was supposed to be a major open to the public meeting on the state of grooming in IP.
Meeting was canceled.
But one of the people who is in the know, told me this.

The challenge, we have been told, has been out of their control.
Just an FYI, the December 2023 delivery date for the new groomer is now rumored to be April, 2024.
Or, why seriously needed tracks, for a more experienced groomer, have been out of stock for a year.
One might say a manufacturer really let us down.
So, instead of having 5 groomers on the ground nightly, Fremont has been limited to working with 3. Poorly maintained or under equipped?

Copy that! Thanks for the insight and glad to know it's not normal. What we experienced makes sense, especially given that we had no idea that this weekend was a Klim event in IP. Tons of additional traffic.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Copy that! Thanks for the insight and glad to know it's not normal. What we experienced makes sense, especially given that we had no idea that this weekend was a Klim event in IP. Tons of additional traffic.
Ya
I have been raising some complaints online that got some attention and that was the reply that came back.
Down 40% on groomers this season WOULD wreak HAVOCK with trying to keep up on SO MANY TRAILS.
Makes a whole lot more sense to me now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Lesson learned: look up the grooming schedule before deciding where to ride.

@christopher, I don't know how you do it (assuming you take the same route), but the trail from Big Springs to N Black Canyon was pretty brutal and hadn't been groomed in a week.

We had no energy left once we got to places that looked interesting to explore off-trail, especially with newer riders in super deep snow. If only we were good enough to take the power line cut, it would save a ton of time & energy. Looks pretty darn steep in spots!
Rode that trail and took 9 guys from Fargo ND on a bit of a tour on Friday.
It was a bit rough, but I suppose I am just used to it being that way this year.
Its simply been a HARD YEAR for the groomers so far as I can tell.
Hopefully this is a TEMPORARY SITUATION that will be resolved with two new groomers shortly.

P
Dec 15, 2018
As a newer rider, I just do not understand how the whoops even happen and man are they frigan hard to ride sometimes! I must admit I do not care for that trail at all lol. We’re just as bad north of you and bonus dory and rocks at the bottom lol. Part of it ? How does the physics work ? Do t get it but as soon as you get a little speed and come around a corner it super cross/chiropractic time!

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
Hitting the power in the trough to maintain the momentum to continue travel. Unless your sled (and the rider) is capable of the speed required to ride the peaks, the bigger the moguls get, the worse they get. They just make us exit the trail earlier to get into the backcountry. I have spent multiple rides back to the cabin in complete muscle exhaustion after a day on the sled.

Coronamania sure did a number on manufacturing.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
There is no trough to begin with…..

That’s how they get worse.
They still develop when the groups stay consistent in the throttle, but exaggerate where slowing and speeding up occurs naturally just like gravel roads.

They develop through compaction and dispersion of material of different moisture levels as weight is applied.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is no trough to begin with…..

That’s how they get worse.
They still develop when the groups stay consistent in the throttle, but exaggerate where slowing and speeding up occurs naturally just like gravel roads.

They develop through compaction and dispersion of material of different moisture levels as weight is applied.
BINGO
There is simply NO WAY for snowmobiles to travel across snow and NOT develop "Ripples".
1-2 sleds can get away with it.
But with any group, or with many repeated transitions over snow you will get the ripples.

The ONLY way to counteract that is with REGULAR AGGRESSIVE GROOMING.

And Island Park has had some serious groomer issues this year.

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
The ONLY way to counteract that is with REGULAR AGGRESSIVE GROOMING.

And Island Park has had some serious groomer issues this year.
Wish there was a way to get a rebate on my Idaho permit this year. Nearly twice the price of the Montana tag and far poorer trail conditions. With no groomers running the grooming account must be flush with cash.

Premium Features