• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park / West Yellowstone Riding Conditions for 2023-2024

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That’s how our day was 10 miles from home. Nice storm.
Little western getting trailer to snow up a gravel road with a week of rain and no frost in it tho.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Rode cabin creek today, snow was great but it was BUSY! I've never seen so many people back in there. I think a lot of Bozeman people went that way due to lack of grooming in the Big Sky area.

Had a guy yell at us for "following" their group into a spot that I've been going to since I was 10 years old, that was interesting. Not exactly a secret spot either, we had to have seen 8 other groups in there. I miss the pre-covid days where parking lots were always half - empty and you never saw other sleds once you got off the trail.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yesterday was a GREAT day of sledding. While the place wasn't crawling with the people I had expected to see, they HAD clearly been there in the previous 24-48hours as there were a LOT OF TRACKS to be found everywhere.

But as always, once you ventured off the "BEATEN" path there was plenty of great snow to be found in the trees!

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Don't shoot the messenger, please. I need to ask a trail condition question for IP and West. Plans are to be in West in a few weeks with some newbies, so gonna be lots of trail riding. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I know things can change nearly overnight, but what are the low elevation conditions now? I would imagine President weekend will be a zoo. We plan to be there after that. Thanks!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't shoot the messenger, please. I need to ask a trail condition question for IP and West. Plans are to be in West in a few weeks with some newbies, so gonna be lots of trail riding. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I know things can change nearly overnight, but what are the low elevation conditions now? I would imagine President weekend will be a zoo. We plan to be there after that. Thanks!!
At elevation they are all fine.
But down low, near town, they have been VERY POOR.
But
2 weeks out is just too far to know at this point.

This was around 7,000ft on the IP side of the mountain on Weds Morning, "FISH CREEK"
Trail was AWESOME, but it changes wildly from week to week based on snow.

trail.jpg

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Much appreciated. And fully understand things can literally change overnight. In 20 years of going there it seems no 2 years are the same. Hoping for the best.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Much appreciated. And fully understand things can literally change overnight. In 20 years of going there it seems no 2 years are the same. Hoping for the best.
if the forecast holds, this FRIDAY/SATURDAY should be GREAT DAYS for riding.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT

Rode out of West on Saturday and the trails were perfect, even right in town. As long as we don't get another real warm spell, they should be fine. Looks like 30-35 ish highs for the next 10 days.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Watch out for the snowcross whoop section ms late in the day! As Christopher said,”there’s a reason guys buy carbon helmets.” Man they can add a chiropractor visit to your list lol!
Just poor timing on our part that day.
Probably got groomed the very next day.

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
Rode out of West on Saturday and the trails were perfect, even right in town. As long as we don't get another real warm spell, they should be fine. Looks like 30-35 ish highs for the next 10 days.
Waiting to see how things hold up thru Pres weekend. A shot of snow after that would be nice.

Premium Features