• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there a thread about the Garmin G8?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Looking for feedback (good & bad) about this.
Simplicity of operation?
Toggle screens from handlebars?
Buddy tracking? With or without phone?

FWIW, I'm coming from the PIDD gauge so direct comparisons to that would be helpful personally.

Edit, I just realized that this is new for 2025. I thought that this was our there already on the '24 600s.

I guess we'll need to wait for some test rides for some answers!

Edid 2, this answers some of my questions

Last edited:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Only thing I heard and don’t really like is the buddy tracking potentially doesn’t work in Canada due to the radio frequency used.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
If on Facebook here is a nice video showing the functions of the gauge, primarily the mapping. Video is also on chinatok if you have that, I do not!

IMG_2175.png

Last edited:

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Well shoot, I'm the only Cat guy in our group. Wonder if it's easily moved and self contained? Would love to move it to my adventure bike, if not I guess I'll just save the money.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Well shoot, I'm the only Cat guy in our group. Wonder if it's easily moved and self contained? Would love to move it to my adventure bike, if not I guess I'll just save the money.
Yep, my buddy said the 7s was just a guage when you're the only one. It is awesome but i ride everything. It would be nice but they want everyone to ride their brand. It's called the haves and the have nots.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Only game in town right now and has been a great option;

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
^ ^ ^ the price looks good on this one, but no group ride feature.

The only one i know that connects with the Polaris 7S is the Trail Tech Voyager.

Such a bummer the Mfgs can't find a way to work together and ALL use the same "language" that communicates between each other for a group ride. That feature came in VERY handy on one ride last season!!

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
^ ^ ^ the price looks good on this one, but no group ride feature.

The only one i know that connects with the Polaris 7S is the Trail Tech Voyager.

Such a bummer the Mfgs can't find a way to work together and ALL use the same "language" that communicates between each other for a group ride. That feature came in VERY handy on one ride last season!!
On their website;

1705333710162.png

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hummm . . . interesting! Found this on their site. I will have to dig in to this Gotenna Mesh thing and see how it works and how effective it might be. Sure would be great if this was an option for the non-polaris riders! :)

Track Other Riders
With the NS1 Gauge System you can automatically share your location with other riders, regardless of whether they have an NS1 Gauge System, and see other rider's shared locations right on the NS1's display. This feature uses Gotenna or Gotenna Mesh devices to exchange location information every 15 seconds regardless of whether cellular service is available. Currently riders without an NS1 Gauge System must have an Android smartphone or tablet to make use of the Location Sharing feature.

NS1 Gauge System with 8" Display ($639)​

To place an order for an NS1:

1. Send an email to stefan@nextstagegauges.com with the following information:
  • First and Last Name
  • Shipping Address
  • Phone Number
  • Vehicle Year, Make, and Model
  1. You will receive a reply with an estimated ship date that asks you to confirm if you would like to be added to the order list.
  2. An invoice will be sent when your NS1 is almost ready to be shipped that can be paid with any major credit/debit card or with Paypal.
-Orders are only being accepted at this time for NS1s compatible with Arctic Cat and Yamaha snowmobiles. NS1s can be converted to Polaris and some Ski Doo models.

-To show AFR the recommended AFR controller is the Spartan Lambda 2 from https://www.14point7.com/

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Even though it's different , it's still more or less the same. Everyone still needs one or the app to link up. Polaris is the same and guessing the new garmin is also. I was thinking the others, who don't have 7s, need cell service. Don't know on this mesh thing.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I think if I was riding with Polaris owners I would buy the base gauge and add the Trail Tech. And I guess in Canada that is really your only option if you want tracking.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I wonder how stout the little antenna is? Hopefully it can hold up to rollovers and whipping the screen off.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I cannot find anywhere that the G8 has an altimeter?
Not a deal breaker, but I would certainly expect that feature on a snowmobile.

Premium Features