• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I will never ride without a tether again

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
I was on top of Lava Mtn(south of Togwotee) today after a night of high winds and snow. It was still snowing and blowing with poor visibility, all the old tracks were covered with big drifts behind every pine tree. I topped a drift at about 5-10 MPH and had about a 4 foot wide hole to the next 6 foot drift. It was like hitting a brick wall, my 1100T ending up completely up side down on top of my legs with the handlebars buried in the snow and the throttle wide open. It ran for about a minute, smoking like crazy before it shut down on its own. I crawled out and the best I could do alone was get it on it side. Due to the poor visibilty and being in a 6 foot hole it took my 2 riding buddies about 15 minutes to find me. After letting it set uprite for while I was able limp it back to the lodge.

Could have been way worse of an outcome!

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I was on top of Lava Mtn(south of Togwotee) today after a night of high winds and snow. It was still snowing and blowing with poor visibility, all the old tracks were covered with big drifts behind every pine tree. I topped a drift at about 5-10 MPH and had about a 4 foot wide hole to the next 6 foot drift. It was like hitting a brick wall, my 1100T ending up completely up side down on top of my legs with the handlebars buried in the snow and the throttle wide open. It ran for about a minute, smoking like crazy before it shut down on its own. I crawled out and the best I could do alone was get it on it side. Due to the poor visibilty and being in a 6 foot hole it took my 2 riding buddies about 15 minutes to find me. After letting it set uprite for while I was able limp it back to the lodge.

Could have been way worse of an outcome!

Good Decision

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
hook mine up before i pull the rope always. love watching vids of peeps rolling thier sleds and they get stuck upsidedown wide open:) priceless...

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Got Tether? Nice to know you survived with out permanent damage!! In 05 buddy with SkiDoo 1000 had it pin him WFO and he has serious scars to show for a long recovery.
Be careful Ride safe.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
can't believe they still allow anykind of motorized competition without retaining walls to be held without somekind of kill system required. would never want to see someone hurt due to someone elses lack of safety. like i stated i hook mine up everytime before i pull the rope, so should everyone else...

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Yeah - we'll see how long that lasts.... :face-icon-small-win

Just for the record, 2 weeks after the alleged fiasco, we shot this pic of his other sled yesterday.
Note the location of the tether....

BackToDoosTetherMarch32013_zpsb3bd9d5b.jpg

..and just for the record, he did get in a somewhat similar situation as the one at the top of this thread shortly after this pic was taken.

drum.gif

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I will never ride "WITH" my tether again :face-icon-small-sho, installed the Teth Air and would recommend it to anyone, especially if you don't use your tether because it's a hassle.

Unfortunately the Teth Air doesn't help you if you don't get more than a couple feet away from the sled. A conventional tether will stop the motor if you go over the bars. Teth Air won't unless you are far enough away.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I decided to put my tether on my armor, looped so that it's a pain to take off. Mine just stays on m all the time now... I just don't ride without it anymore. Can't say there's been a single time I've had some kind of issue because of the tether... well, aside from me not figuring out why my sled won't start till the 3rd pull when I see it's not in! derr...

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I actually started wearing one cause I'm on a 4 stroke and don't want to take the engine out if it goes upside down.

But the degloving of the arm convinced me that I will always use a tether, would not want to get caught in the track.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Unfortunately the Teth Air doesn't help you if you don't get more than a couple feet away from the sled. A conventional tether will stop the motor if you go over the bars. Teth Air won't unless you are far enough away.

Although you can trim the antenna to activate at your desired distance, so if the antenna is shorter than 5/8" inch or less it will shut off imediately. I had a buddy not use his tether last weekend, totalled his sled. This weekend same guy different sled, tether attached, flipped his sled, rolled, tether pulled off the key detatched from the from the cord and was lost in the snow. Luckily he found it after a 1/2 hour of searching, goes to show even the traditional tether has it's flaws. I'll stick with the teth-air and take my chances.:face-icon-small-win

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

The Teth-Air does shut down when you get out of range but it also shuts down when you completely cover the transmitter tag. EVEN WHEN SITTING ON THE SLED.

If you are under the sled, you can almost always dig your arm down in the snow to shut it off.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
As one of the guys you witnessed Shawn getting his arm ripped off by his sled..... YOU AREA DUMBAZZ !!!!!!!! if you ever pull the rope on your sled and are not tethered in... Accidents happen. It has been over a year and he is doing better... But the way his life has forever changed is no reason to ever call hooking up a tether a hassle. We just rode for three days in the back country.. Watching him get dressed, cut his food, lace up boots, get in to his tunnel bag,, try to side hill, fuel his sled., put on his beacon... I could go on like this all day...

It is not a hassle it should be manditory.

Premium Features