• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to ride the pro?

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Some good advice but I am a bit stumped as to this question. Riding a sled is riding a sled and countersteering is the same concept no matter what sled we ride. The Pro makes these actions more predictable but it really does not change how we ride a sled (just where we ride).

My advice: Get the sled and go ride the area's you like to ride! Don't waste time doing doughnuts and figure 8's unless that is what you enjoy doing. Get some seat time and reap the benefits of an amazing sled. Don't overanalyze things and by God learn how to ride wrong foot forward. If you can jump in with a group of guys that are a bit more advanced that yourself and play follow the leader. Skills will come quick :face-icon-small-hap

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Some good advice but I am a bit stumped as to this question. Riding a sled is riding a sled and countersteering is the same concept no matter what sled we ride. The Pro makes these actions more predictable but it really does not change how we ride a sled (just where we ride).

My advice: Get the sled and go ride the area's you like to ride! Don't waste time doing doughnuts and figure 8's unless that is what you enjoy doing. Get some seat time and reap the benefits of an amazing sled. Don't overanalyze things and by God learn how to ride wrong foot forward. If you can jump in with a group of guys that are a bit more advanced that yourself and play follow the leader. Skills will come quick :face-icon-small-hap

Donuts and figure 8s are great learning tools. It let's them ride without peer pressure and let's them find the sleds balance points. Which builds confidence. I have taught countless kids and adults how to ride using this simple technique.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Donuts and figure 8s are great learning tools. It let's them ride without peer pressure and let's them find the sleds balance points. Which builds confidence. I have taught countless kids and adults how to ride using this simple technique.
Amen Tony, Just like "slow races" on dirtbikes. Learning balance with you and your vehicle is king. Its all balance, sidehilling, carving, downhill turns.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Mr. Struthers is right when he said the transition from the old school riding positions to the new rider up and forward positions was the main source of your concern. Get the seat time as the guys say and you'll never remember old school. Thought controlled riding, it will happen to you too. Cheers.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Who has had a Pro with both the stock track and a 3" ? And what did you notice as far as handling between the different tracks?

I have ridden a couple 3" pro's now and am convinced they are not for me. Nothing "wrong" with them, but the not sure the tradeoffs are worth the effort.

Seems you have to take a bunch of preload out of the FTS to get the wheelies/trenching under control....which makes the skis more planted, which makes the whole package a little less "playful" than I'd like it. There might be an element of increased rotating mass in play there as well? Not sure. Also, I feel with the x3....everyone forgot they hated stiff-lugged tracks like the camo lite. I don't feel the stiff lugged 3" works much better in the fluff that a 2.5 challenger....or dare I say, the stock pol track. Also, in going slow or stopping on steep sidehillis (things the pro does very well), I felt the 3" would tend to lunge forward and fall off its edge, as opposed to spinning a little and staying " set in" to the hill. More noticeable the harder the snow.

If a guy wanted to change parts....I would do a 2.5" and have a great balance between the stock track and 3". If your main focus is climbing/high marking, and less goofing around, sidehills, etc....you may already run less preload in the FTS this may be a non-issue. I really feel ( at least on a pro) that the 3" attempts to solve problems that don't exist.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008

I don't argue that TRS. Still a blast to go pound out some doughnuts in the freshies! I just don't believe that technique changes that much from sled to sled. All motions are similar, some just take more effort than others! I just believe that if you get a new Steed that you should keep riding as you did on the old iron! It does not take long to adjust and there really aren't any secrets. One thing I wish I could have experienced when we started our off trail ventures was having some experienced riders to go out with. It really would have advanced our skills much quicker!

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
I'll be in my first full season on a Pro this year. Rode an 08 RMK 700 for one and a half seasons to learn, then picked up a 13 Pro 155 last March. The Pro is so much easier to ride than a Dragon.

You may already do this since you've been riding for 20 yrs, but my BIGGEST tip is use the brake. Always have your finger on the brake and use the brake to control your track speed which helps to control the angle of the front end, and ultimately helps you stay in better control. It feels very strange at first to hammer the throttle and the brake at the same time, but once you figure out how to feather the brake with the throttle you'll be a very happy rider and you'll feel 100% in control in tight technical situations.

Premium Features