• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HM Turbo Thread

D
Nov 14, 2013
You really cant run pump premium with an intercooler and only 6lbs of boost?

In my experience no, I ran shell Gold 91 all year as well....but others are saying yes.....HM sent out a memo advising against it.

We ride 6-7k feet here, what elevation do you ride in Utah?

Reason I ask is I am curious if the guys running in higher elevations require lower octanes, or is this not the case with a boosted engine?

Last edited:

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I thought this system compensated for altitude automatically by changing the boost level so you can run 91 pump gas from 0ft-12,000+ft...?? is that not the case? I thought that was this kit's main attraction, same power no matter what the altitude...

D
Nov 14, 2013
I thought this system compensated for altitude automatically by changing the boost level so you can run 91 pump gas from 0ft-12,000+ft...?? is that not the case? I thought that was this kit's main attraction, same power no matter what the altitude...

Last year we were on mechanical boost, therefore there was no Electronic Boost Control.

This year I believe it is the case that with the EBC, boost will change for elevation 'to make the same hp'. This will also require no clutching changes for the same reason.

As for the use of pump gas at any elevation someone better schooled in the matter will need to pipe in.

D
Nov 14, 2013
I just wanted to update how things have been running soo far this year. I just spent three days in Revy (epic conditions.) Snow was headlight deep in places, burned near a full tank all three days. The sled ran without a hiccup:
Pulling RPM's 98% of the time (need to add a little weight as it would jump up to 8350RPM)
Starting 1st or 2nd Pull (once or twice 3 pulls)
Plugs look great
No DET

The only problem was the snow was soo deep in spots it would clog the intakes (I don't have a windshield which might help) and I would get a to be expected powder bog. (only on the day it was snowing.)

I will be installing an additional intake under the hood for submarining ;)

Next time I will bring out the computer and take some logs, I didn't feel the need as it was working soo good!

D
Nov 14, 2013
I better update this as I did some laptop runs and they revealed that I was not 100% correct about my EBC.

Mechanical Boost is set @ 5psi and then EBC takes over from there. My sled would initially pull 6.5psi but while clamping it for more than a few seconds, the boost level would drop to the mechanical setting of 5psi (but while working the throttle this was not the case.)

So the EBC isn't sorted, supposed to be by the new year with an update from the logging they did in revy. So for now I disabled the EBC, and set the mechanical boost to 7psi and away I go. I will have it in Blue River next week, and nothing but excited, the thing is hauling the mail.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Buddy of mine bought a 14 from a builder in dawson creek. rode a couple days in revy. he said it was the 240 kit and was running straight av.

rode it for awhile in the trees and was pretty impressed.

ive got an XP with about 40hp over stock. engine work, pipes, timing, carbs ect. 3x16x156

his was a 14 pro with a stock 155 track.

ide say the pro on the top end pulled harder than mine. power felt stockish until you got into the throttle alot but it pulls real nice on top. doing technical riding thru trees and it was real easy to ride.

one thing i noticed is there wasnt as much midrange grunt as mine but it wasnt a big deal.

overall i was pretty impressesd. didnt get them on a big open hill to compare but the pro did accelerate a bit harder through the trees. on a big hill my track might have made the diff but tough to tell

first turbo i've rode that i liked and would trade my sled for. two hard days in revy, ran like a top and never tinkered at all.

D
Nov 14, 2013
Buddy of mine bought a 14 from a builder in dawson creek. rode a couple days in revy. he said it was the 240 kit and was running straight av.

rode it for awhile in the trees and was pretty impressed.

ive got an XP with about 40hp over stock. engine work, pipes, timing, carbs ect. 3x16x156

his was a 14 pro with a stock 155 track.

ide say the pro on the top end pulled harder than mine. power felt stockish until you got into the throttle alot but it pulls real nice on top. doing technical riding thru trees and it was real easy to ride.

one thing i noticed is there wasnt as much midrange grunt as mine but it wasnt a big deal.

overall i was pretty impressesd. didnt get them on a big open hill to compare but the pro did accelerate a bit harder through the trees. on a big hill my track might have made the diff but tough to tell

first turbo i've rode that i liked and would trade my sled for. two hard days in revy, ran like a top and never tinkered at all.

I came off an XP and yes the Polaris does not have the mid range grunt, it is very electric in the way it makes power, linear the whole way. Your friend needs to get some track under that! Mine lasted one trip with 6psi and a 155, lots of sidehills gone wrong! Glad to hear you liked it.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Another proof of what i call "pull the rope and go" at sea level,7 psi,pump gas.

it is a 40 minutes unedited ride dec 26 2013 at -17 Celsius.(in two vids since my GoPro sd card got full)

Last edited:
D
Nov 14, 2013
Time for a update as the season is winding down, but certainly not over! EBC is still a no go, with no explanation currently. But I haven't really inquired as these sleds are working really well. I was having problems with what I thought was clutching. My sled when working the throttle would pull RPM but on a long pull the RPM would taper off to 7800. This was the case on a friends sled as well, both running the same setup. After some testing I noticed shimming my mechanical boost was not delivering desired boost level increases (1 shim is supposed to be 1psi of boost.) This was confirmed with my friends sled as well. The issue was the spring rates on the springs from aerocharger were incorrect. Also we were shimming the springs to the max chasing boost levels (4 shims) thus putting too much pre-load causing a overboost followed by the boost tapering off. HM had some custom springs made and now its perfection. RPM holds and boost holds as long as you can hold on. I don't think I could be happier with my machine, almost 2600 miles on the odometer now!

D
Nov 14, 2013
Best quit that day job! I could always use a spare on the truck ;), took out a MAP sensor last trip. For the record you can find them at some GM dealers or AC Delco part sources. Three times the price in Canada as amazon or ebay though!

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I can't believe the spring supplied by aerocharger was incorrect.
Those guys are perfect. Just ask them..

Premium Features