• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

heated gloves

C
Mar 15, 2018
Found 2 different gauntlet style Klim heated gloves but with say that they heat back of hand and finger tips. I will need more than just the finger tips. I NEED the whole two outer fingers and outer side of my hand which means that I will need to get gloves that heat the entire hand/fingers. I get that with bar warmers, the back of the hand and finger tips are where get missed but in my case, I had an "oops" and severe the ulnar nerve in my wrist so from the centre line of my ring finger straight up to a couple inches up my wrist, I have zero feeling outside of that and my little finger, ring finger and side of my hand gets REALLY cold and I can not feel most of it so frost bite is a real possibility even with hand warmers I suspect. I need to heat the entire outside of my hand from wrist to finger tip.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Have you ran the gauntlet hand guard ps that burandt sells?

if not check them out. My riding buddy always has cold hands and got these last year and loves them. Might be a good addition to your heated glove package to ensure you’re staying safe!

Squirreler

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2018

if not check them out. My riding buddy always has cold hands and got these last year and loves them. Might be a good addition to your heated glove package to ensure you’re staying safe!

Love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Mar 15, 2018

I was looking at those last season (before my injury) and thought the looked like a good rig. However, they are designed for a Polaris and I ride a Scud. I know they can be adapted to work on non-polaris bars (without the hook on the end) but it would not be how they are designed to attach and may not be as trick as on Poo bars. I also could not find any anyways, they were never in stock when I was looking.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Mittens with any handlebar muffs should work.

If needed, throw in a heat pack.

C
Mar 15, 2018
Yes, I have been considering mittens (with the individual forefinger of course) and may go that way with a heat heat pack when needed. Don't like mittens but like frost bite less.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I was looking at those last season (before my injury) and thought the looked like a good rig. However, they are designed for a Polaris and I ride a Scud. I know they can be adapted to work on non-polaris bars (without the hook on the end) but it would not be how they are designed to attach and may not be as trick as on Poo bars. I also could not find any anyways, they were never in stock when I was looking.
Had them on a cat. Lifesaver for me but the clamp twisted on grip and wrecked a handwarmer. Definitely fit a polaris better but still work on others.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
This is what I use. Outdoor Research Highcamp 3-fingers. Very warm and you keep a lot of dexterity.

1670418129000.png

I
Feb 23, 2021
Alberta Canada
I did this research last year as I have very bad Raynaud's. My top pick was the FXR gloves, but make sure you order the extra battery. I had the warmest hands I have ever had last season and had 3 days of riding where the temps were -20 and colder. I do not run any other FXR gear, but highly recommend these gloves.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I did this research last year as I have very bad Raynaud's. My top pick was the FXR gloves, but make sure you order the extra battery. I had the warmest hands I have ever had last season and had 3 days of riding where the temps were -20 and colder. I do not run any other FXR gear, but highly recommend these gloves.
How much of the finger does the fxr heat? When I bought gloves last year the Klim seemed to have the most finger heating element.

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Have you tried the aforementioned mittens (or forefinger mittens) with a Hot Hands heat pack? A couple years ago I just started with the heat pack and it seemed if my hands were warm for the first part, I was good the rest of the day. Pretty cheap/reliable solution. Hot Hands pack of 54 for $27 on Ebay.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I hope I can help a little on this.........

I ran the first version of KLIM heated gloves and then the 509's last year and this year I have the new KLIM Powerxcross HTD glove and FXR heated Recon Gloves. I had frostbite on my hands 20 years ago so I'm always battling cold hands. I also like to ride with thin gloves so that has been a battle. For me personally I ride with the KLIM Spool Gloves or the Old Backcountry gloves that everyone loved that are no longer available. (509 backcountry's are close BTW but not the same). I start the day in one pair, carry a 2nd to change into after lunch or if I get the first pair wet. And then I carry a pair of heated gloves for emergency or for a nice ride back to the truck.

The early KLIM & 509 ones worked well but were a bit bulky under the fingers. These made a great pair of gloves for the ride back to the truck on the cold days or to thaw out someones hands if needed. But for all day riding they were too thick for me. The 509's are now being used with my snowblower and my father confiscated the KLIM ones for his use.

The new KLIM Powerxcross HTD glove is much thinner in the hand and seem to be thin enough that I can make them work for a full day of riding. Heat amount is the same as the original version I tested.

I have no time with the FXR yet as I just got them but will report back. They do seem thinner like the new KLIM as first test but I have not put them on and grabbed a sled yet.

Both the 509 & KLIM gloves come on at any power and then drop to the lower setting after some time to conserve power. This seems to work well and most of the time after the quick heat up and high power the lower setting works nice to keep the hands warm. Only one time in -30 below temps rescuing a person and sled did I run the gloves on high for an extended amount of time.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
I am looking at getting some heated gloves so all this info is great, last year i bought a pair of split mittens, two fingers in each spot. they are bulky but worked well for the ride in or out and can still grab brake with them. Rode in true mittens and although nice and warm i had a few oh s&%t moments when i realized you cant really use the break and hang on at the same time.

C
Mar 15, 2018
All good information. Thanks to all that replied. It is doubtful that my hand will be good enough to ride the mountain tails this year but I still plan to ride round home if we get snow. At my age is really sucks to miss a season but it is what it is. Still on the fence (but leaning hard one way) as to which way to go but lots to consider but I have time as it will be mid Jan likely before I will be able to ride

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have the FLY RACING heated glove and works very well, basically used for the the trail out to the riding area and on the trail back home.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
I just got the Fly Racing Ignitor gloves and as we've had no snow here in Iowa yet I haven't had a chance to ride with them but from the wearing I've been able to do with them I can offer a little input. For the past couple years or so I've been increasingly fighting with cold hands and to the point of wondering if I'm gonna be able to continue riding or not. I've corked and sprayfoamed and high heat warmered all my bars, and run gauntlets, and still fighting with it. I did a lot of reading and researching and ended up with the fly gloves and this is what I can so so far.

I wanted a leather palm and this is a good quality leather. The feel of the gloves is somewhat bulky compared to any of my non-heated gloves but I guess I'd assume that comes from having the heating elements run throughout, but not anything that is too extreme to feel like it'd affect being able to have good control or be flexible enough to thrash around thru the trees. The heat comes on quick and warms my hands up right away, with 3 heat levels to choose from. One of the nice features that I haven't seen on any other glove is the pull loop that allows you to just grab it with the other hand and pull the glove on easy peasy....I can see this being pretty nice when your hands are a little wet and it's a hassle sometimes to get a glove pulled on, but with this loop it isn't gonna be an issue. No opinion yet on battery life but I did buy a set of extra batteries on Amazon that are from the same manufacturer as the ones that Fly uses with identical specs for about half of what they are from Fly.

So ...the negative .. . .I usually wear medium to large gloves and it's always kind of a crapshoot on sizing for me as I don't want any bigger or bulkier than necessary but I ordered a size 10/L and they are right on the line of being too tight. I've kept them for now assuming they will stretch out some and they will relax a bit after the first couple rides. ... ..I hope.
Second . .the battery sits on top of your wrist and with my watch on it really makes the cuff of the glove bulge up ..probably won't be wearing a watch when I ride.
Third ...the little LED indicator is bright ...LED bright! ...I can see this being a little distracting if doing any night riding and I'm probably gonna take a sharpie or something and mark over them to dim them down some.
Overall I think they seem to be a pretty well built glove and I'm looking forward to riding with some warm digits ....I can see them being pretty nice to have for the ride up the hill and then I can pop them off when I'm warmed up and throw on one of my TA Gear sets when I want a better feel and then throw them back on for the ride down and it should help out a lot with the fight with the cold. I'll post a couple pics below too.

Premium Features