• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GOLD STANDARD TRIPLE POINT SKEG ON MY RIOT

J
Feb 4, 2011
vt
So I got to try out the skeg on my riot .
I rode it in Maine and Vermont today.
I don't have the conditions i had in Idaho a few weeks ago.
But it's good conditions for this skeg.
What i didn't like about the stock set up.
When your riding in thin conditions or hard pack trails the stock skeg was horrible.
It would handle very flat and stiff. It would catch on just about anything and want to follow lines.
crossing a road was very bad. I would get off and run along side of it to cross the road.
loading my bike in the trailer was also bad. I would have to use the wheel kit.
Now with this new triple point skeg a lot has changed.
Crossing a road i stay on the bike. It does not want to stop dead anymore in the middle of the road.
Going down a hard pack/icy trail is not nearly as bad as it was with the stock set up on the riot.
It's easier to lean it over a bit on hard pack icy areas.
I had to cross a small stream today with the new skeg. I did it without getting hung up at all. With the stock skeg i always got hung up and ended up having to put my feet down in the water..
I also don't get hung up loading the bike into my trailer like i did with the stock skeg.
It just makes for a nicer easier ride .
In the deeper snow the bike handled like it did with the stock skeg.
Overall I am very happy with the performance over stock.

84976493_189029245501302_2955275431969816576_n.jpg 84921809_188717785520991_3190695976876638208_n.jpg

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Thank you for that info.
My experience with the stock Riot skag was similar. Immediately got hung up in the parking lot. Used the grinder just like I had on the Aro skag and ground it down a bunch. Much better.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I also have a gold skag on a traverse ski. Definitely works good on thin conditions. I have never been a fan of the big channel style skags TS and yeti like to use. I feel like the traverse ski is very slow to roll side to side. Grabby and whatnot. Anyone change the profile of the side runners when they install the triplepoint?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Cut the side runners down by 50% tapering from 0 to 50% i the first 1/3 of the length works way better.

I had tripple point customs on my old ski on the outside as well that is by far the best setup with one carbide facing down and he other two to the outside no more wipe outs on ice and super smooth on trail in and out. Not enough difference in pow to notice.

R
Sep 15, 2010
Any comparison of the two. Triplepoint and Studboy? Benefits of the triplepoint?
I ran the deuce with stock outer skegs my first season, last season deuce with modded outer skegs (huge improvement on hard pack) this season I'm going to run the triple point with modded outer skegs. If we ever get snow I'll report back.

Premium Features