• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fusing Heating Elements

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
Happy Fall Everyone!!!

I'm going on a bit more of a budget sled this year, it's a 2003 Polaris XCSP 800, no electric start. I've done a bunch of work to it. Next thing is for some wiring. The previous owner bypass the Polaris handlebar switch and put in some regular switch for the headlights and handwarmer. A mouse got to the handwarmer and headlight wiring so I've pulled it out and got some new ones as well as a thumb heater and a heated shield plug. I want to put some fuses in, so I have a four way marine fuse block I ordered off Amazon, question is what size fuse to use for the headlight, handwarmers, thumb warmers and heated shield plug. I've seen people say 5 - 10 amps, so wanted to see what people's opinion is. Just put in four 10 amp fuses or should any of them be higher like the headlights? According to the factory wiring diagram there were no fuses for anything and they were just wired in parallel from the factory.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The only thing I would fuse is the heated shield. I run mine on a 2 amp fuse.
Headlight is 60 watts so it should draw 5 amps of current.
Heated grips draw between 3 - 4 amps.
Thumb warmer about 1 amp

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
Excellent, thank you! So I think I will do a 2 amp each for the heated shield and thumb warmer and a 5 amp each for the headlights and heated grips. I think it's a bit easier to wire with the fused sub panel and and future diagnostic work should be easier. YouTube post project video coming soon!!! :p:cool::ROFLMAO:

Premium Features