• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch recall

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Polaris is certainly paying more then $80 on my buddies 9R now that it needs 2 clutches, and a crank to be replaced after the primary went dancing and damaged everything.
If someone doesn't get hurt first maybe the warranty costs will start hitting a nerve at Polaris and justify spending more for a better clutch to start.
Only if the projected cost of warranty and liability if there is an injury outweighs the profit of projected sales with current designs will it change. Otherwise it is deemed acceptable by the bean counters. The Ford Pinto fiasco could have been avoided with an $11/car part.

Edit: That reminds me of the time Polaris let people die in RZR fires before they recalled them.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Haha Bdx. Egg on face. Gawd bdx sucks so bad
What have ya bought there?
I’ve got a couple parts I thought they knocked outa the park. No cut open hoods with frogskinz tho, no thanks. Glad they still focus on cat parts tho, not many do

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Bought lotsa their junk including a seat and tank for an alpha. Bdx said it would fit. The tank was ill fitting, the seat needed modification to fit and the total package looked like poo. They said it fits great. I said I wanted my money back. The scammer said I modified the seat so I don’t get my money back. I said it wouldn’t fit if I didn’t trim it to fit. No dice. No money back, don’t care. Total gaslight job. Not to worry, I’ve dealt with thjis type b4.
Since then, I launched an investigation into the main actors. Turns out, they are huge copycat engineers, use the cheapest, weakest way to build stuff, one has a criminal record and i believe is scamming the system for medical coverage. Shady past is in play. Don’t stand behind their junk and have attitude. I like when they used the cheapest possible bearing on their helix’s and it made egg on they face when it failed. They said their custom cat intake saves like 6 lbs. Total bs. Another $500 ripoff. They sell mountain clutching but they live and work in flat Minnesota. Go figure. My opinion is they are clueless about clutching unless it’s simple flatland stuff. Fick those guys.
By sharing my bad experience, it’s cost way more than the $1,500 they stole from me. People need to know

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Bought lotsa their junk including a seat and tank for an alpha. Bdx said it would fit. The tank was ill fitting, the seat needed modification to fit and the total package looked like poo. They said it fits great. I said I wanted my money back. The scammer said I modified the seat so I don’t get my money back. I said it wouldn’t fit if I didn’t trim it to fit. No dice. No money back, don’t care. Total gaslight job. Not to worry, I’ve dealt with thjis type b4.
Since then, I launched an investigation into the main actors. Turns out, they are huge copycat engineers, use the cheapest, weakest way to build stuff, one has a criminal record and i believe is scamming the system for medical coverage. Shady past is in play. Don’t stand behind their junk and have attitude. I like when they used the cheapest possible bearing on their helix’s and it made egg on they face when it failed. They said their custom cat intake saves like 6 lbs. Total bs. Another $500 ripoff. They sell mountain clutching but they live and work in flat Minnesota. Go figure. My opinion is they are clueless about clutching unless it’s simple flatland stuff. Fick those guys.
By sharing my bad experience, it’s cost way more than the $1,500 they stole from me. People need to know

SSI Erich Long, the one you refer to with the criminal record, who "was" teamed up with BDX, hasn't been in the picture for almost 4 years, actually is a over the road truck driver.

Here are the BDX owners;

1711292496992.jpeg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Lots of flatlander companies making clutch kits for mountains, I agree, waste. But they do have to change clutching when the come west to ride so I suppose it makes sense for them to make something to sell. Too bad on your tank/seat.
I read about the shady guy too, over it myself. The lightweight spider for the secondary I was impressed with. Quality looking drop in piece.
Come to think of it, the inboard wheel kit they said fit mine wasn’t exact, had to pull one shim out of the shock spacers. Had to email them and swap out wheels for correct size but that was painless. glad it works, nobody should be running outboard wheels in the mountains in 2024 😄. Wheel see on the bearings, so far so good. Read where they had a bad run from a bearing mfg. Nobody else makes one of these kits I’m aware of, ‘must have list’ item for me.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
SSI Erich Long, the one you refer to with the criminal record, who "was" teamed up with BDX, hasn't been in the picture for almost 4 years, actually is a over the road truck driver.

Here are the BDX owners;

Excellent update.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
@clutch
I see BDX has pulled these . No longer available

@Vern 200 Mountain miles on the Bronze bushings I installed - pulled the rollers for inspection today, and no sign of failure.
Looks like you were right about the speedwerx bushings. Haven’t pulled it out yet, but have one that is starting to get some slop in it and the other two still feel slop free. Probably less than 200 miles on them.

F
Jan 2, 2013
I wonder why they stopped making the bushings from ssi? They had said stockers were only making it a few hundred miles and these were making it 1500 without issue. I installed them in my adapt (no miles yet)

Kind of pissed I wasted the time being they obviously are not working. I will look into the dynatec solution. Going to be sending him a primary for some work soon

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I wonder why they stopped making the bushings from ssi? They had said stockers were only making it a few hundred miles and these were making it 1500 without issue. I installed them in my adapt (no miles yet)

Kind of pissed I wasted the time being they obviously are not working. I will look into the dynatec solution. Going to be sending him a primary for some work soon
IMHO.....My thoughts are that even in their install instructions they point out that the insert MAY require some drilling to get the pin in for the roller-and suggested to send it back to them so they could ensure proper fitment. I assume to ensure it properly- Anyhoo I feel it gave away to the variance in the tolerances. and should be more customer friendly install.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Ya got Bdx’d. Haha.
Imagine how many thousands of customers over the years who went through this

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I bought a whole sled from BDX. Snochecked in the spring and wasn't delivered until mid-January because they decided to outsource the running boards and bumpers to China instead of supplying the Skinz boards and USA-Built Hubbs bumper. Didn't include some of the parts it was supposed to like brake rotor, timing key, and lightweight recoil cup. Also came with black fuel tank instead of the clear one that was ordered. Zero communication from them through the whole process. Never again.

Only things I'll buy from them now are things I can't get somewhere else.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I was the one that got DynaTek to make bushings. Previously I was getting about 200 miles out of rollers. The first set Im over 1000 miles on. I was swapping them around from sled to sled for testing but basically Ive decided they last as expected. And i went ahead and put them in all my sleds.
Also I havent broken a spider with these rollers. Dont know if that coincidence or not. I was only getting 500-750 miles out of Adapt spiders with stock rollers.

Erich might be gone but I wouldnt say the Schoenfelders are any more honest. Ask Michelle what she thinks of them.

F
Jan 2, 2013
Good to know about the rollers and bushings.
I'm still trying to find out why my 18 800 is running lean between 4500-6000 at low speed. Once I clear that 25mph it's just fine. Even if rpm is down to 4500. It's something between 12-25 it just runs like crap.

Wish it would burn to the ground. Been a cat guy my whole life. This 18 has been a cancer.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I was the one that got DynaTek to make bushings. Previously I was getting about 200 miles out of rollers. The first set Im over 1000 miles on. I was swapping them around from sled to sled for testing but basically Ive decided they last as expected. And i went ahead and put them in all my sleds.
Also I havent broken a spider with these rollers. Dont know if that coincidence or not. I was only getting 500-750 miles out of Adapt spiders with stock rollers.

Erich might be gone but I wouldnt say the Schoenfelders are any more honest. Ask Michelle what she thinks of them.
Ask Michelle what she thinks of kanedog.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Where is Michelle these days? Used to love talking to her when she was in Oregon. Went down and bought a few sleds off her when our Canuck cash was worth something.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Randy and Michelle Knadle own a Brp dealership in South Fork, Colorado, Twin Pine Motorsports.

Premium Features