• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

buying wrecked sleds?

W
Jan 8, 2014
Marquette, MI
Hi all new here, ive been out of the riding seen for a few years now and am looking to get back into it. im deciding to go about it in a different way (maybe). Im looking to buy a wrecked sled prefferably a cat but not completely stuck to one. Does any one have any info on locating people or places for wrecked sleds. im in the UP of michigan but will travel shorter distances to get one. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ethan.

W
Dec 23, 2013
There is a place here in MN called "Crashed Toys". It seems to be an online auction house. They do have snowmobiles (13 at our location). The also seem to have snowmobiles IL, OH, IA,IN. Whenever I drive past I see lots of boats and campers.
Maybe there is a similar place in your area.

Last edited:

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
auction sites

Unless you can inspect the sled prior to purchase buyer be ware as the people listing and selling them are trying to get rid of them and they are totaled for a reason. Also there are significant buyers fees plus taxes and registration on these sleds that you will probably not be able to unsure anyway.
Just an fyi there is usually a lot more wrong with these sleds than people realize when they buy them to fix them and end up spending more than they would if they just bought a good running used sled.
You can get a pretty good used and non totaled mountain sled for under $3500 these days. My buddy got a steal on a nice 2010 m8 about a month ago for 4700.

J

jds

Mar 13, 2008
duluth mn.
Been watching these sites for some time and have some friends that have gotten sleds from them. The last few years the prices have gone through the roof. People are paying retail prices for wrecked sleds it's nuts. But if that's the way you want to go try cranky ape and recreational salvage sites they are both pretty good. But make sure you know prices before buying. Good luck

W
Jan 8, 2014
Marquette, MI
this is all good to know. and i apperciate the input. im new to this and this is why im asking, so thank you very much. My main reason for buying a totaled sled is the interest in fixing one for a hobby, i am laid off and beyond the point of being bored so a hobby is always nice. not into the old sleds, but my dad is and has been rebuilding them, and i have been helping. ive always thought rebuilding a new one would be fun but never knew where to look for them. ill keep my eyes open but will be aware of expense it could cost.

G

garypuento

Feb 25, 2011
mn
If you are trying to get back into it for cheap call one of the rental shops out west. I have bought a couple sleds from high mark rentals in west Yellowstone. Yes they have high miles but I have had zero issues. They were in really good condition and were at least a few grand less then ones with lower miles.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
My business was rebuilders WAY before the internet. Auctions quit protecting dealers and let the whoring begin with the internet to anybody with a buck in there pocket.

You may say cooool....but truth is while you are looking for a deal theres always a few dumb azz's that pay way to much. There truly are few deals to be had at these auctions unless they are non public. Heck I watched one guy buy a pro in MN last year from Copart that paid 8k for it wrecked. It later appeared on SW with a description like..."no time to fix" truth was it was WAY to much money to fix. Seller was asking less than he paid at the sale to dump it and it was still to much.

Plus watch out for sellers on auctions as they are private and NOT insurance all the time. They will buy a wrecked sled pull motor and goodies off it then throw there blown motor in it and re-run it. You will end up with chassis damage and mech. Auctions will say.........."as is sucka" As you can tell I am fairly bitter about these sales and do not have near enough time to type all the knowledge i have on them. Good luck

Last edited:
W
Jan 8, 2014
Marquette, MI
My business was rebuilders WAY before the internet. Auctions quit protecting dealers and let the whoring begin with the internet to anybody with a buck in there pocket.

You may say cooool....but truth is while you are looking for a deal theres always a few dumb azz's that pay way to much. There truly are few deals to be had at these auctions unless they are non public. Heck I watched one guy buy a pro in MN last year from Copart that paid 8k for it wrecked. It later appeared on SW with a description like..."no time to fix" truth was it was WAY to much money to fix. Seller was asking less than he paid at the sale to dump it and it was still to much.

Plus watch out for sellers on auctions as they are private and NOT insurance all the time. They will buy a wrecked sled pull motor and goodies off it then throw there blown motor in it and re-run it. You will end up with chassis damage and mech. Auctions will say.........."as is sucka" As you can tell I am fairly bitter about these sales and do not have near enough time to type all the knowledge i have on them. Good luck

i have been looking into it more and you all are very right. the idea of an auction scares me when it comes to wrecked sleds. i guess if the right deal came around id look into (local and knew the sled and owner) but in the mean time ill look into finding a good deal on a used sled. im in no rush so thats a plus.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Don't buy a wrecked sled. Go look for a 3-4 yr old sled that is stock. You will be way ahead.

Premium Features